Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

The ones that read road signs are even worse, because they react to signs on oblique side roads. And yes, the proposal isn't for braking but for engine limitation, which is just as bad if you're trying to join a motorway. Anyway they can be over-ridden by flooring it, so they won't actually limit the kind of people who cause most accidents.
It's funny how you can go on about how wonderful every other aspect of road safety is these days (despite the thousands of deaths and permanent disabilities) but suddenly there are loads of problems with something that stops you breaking the law.

The ones that read road signs are even worse, because they react to signs on oblique side roads. And yes, the proposal isn't for braking but for engine limitation, which is just as bad if you're trying to join a motorway. Anyway they can be over-ridden by flooring it, so they won't actually limit the kind of people who cause most accidents.
Oh well. Looks like we're back to banning cars altogether as the only feasible solution then.

It's funny how you can go on about how wonderful every other aspect of road safety is these days (despite the thousands of deaths and permanent disabilities) but suddenly there are loads of problems with something that stops you breaking the law.

Yeah I'm more interested in things that stop you having accidents than I am in things that stop you breaking the law.

Or we just let people get on with their lives. Doctors make errors of judgement that kill people, all the time. We don't ban doctors becaue they have a net benefit, the same way that cars do.
Cars don't have a net benefit. Maybe for some lucky individuals but for most their own is a liability, other people's are a nuisance and the system is slowly choking the world to death (that's if you're lucky enough not to be killed or maimed).

Apart from the odd day out in the countryside what possible benefit (let alone a net one) would one have for me?

Or we just let people get on with their lives. Doctors make errors of judgement that kill people, all the time. We don't ban doctors becaue they have a net benefit, the same way that cars do.
Don't start with that whole critical thinking and sensible posting thing. It's too much for some to get their head around, and it'll ruin the tone of the thread.

Cars don't have a net benefit. Maybe for some lucky individuals but for most their own is a liability, other people's are a nuisance and the system is slowly choking the world to death (that's if you're lucky enough not to be killed or maimed).

Apart from the odd day out in the countryside what possible benefit (let alone a net one) would one have for me?

You're the lucky city-dweller who can see no need for a car. Most people aren't in your position.

Guys, please, give it up. No car can ever possibly be of benefit to anyone ever. Nobody can ever be in need of using a private motor vehicle, anywhere. How many times do we have to go over this?

If we took the same approach to doctors that we do to cars, we'd give them a medical qualification after a half hour playing the game "operation", and only stop them practicing if they killed more than 100 people per day.

Most people can see the need for a car.

Like city dwellers I used to work with who were childishly proud of not having been on public transport since they left school but couldn't manage a 100 yard walk to the shop on their break and spent the first hour of their day crying about the Blackwall Tunnell. All making rational decisions based on free choice I suppose.

If we took the same approach to doctors that we do to cars, we'd give them a medical qualification after a half hour playing the game "operation", and only stop them practicing if they killed more than 100 people per day.
I'm glad you used that word. It's a lot like driving. The more you do, the better you get. :D

We'd imprison them frequently when they caused deaths through their standard of care falling far below that which was expected.

Guys, please, give it up. No car can ever possibly be of benefit to anyone ever. Nobody can ever be in need of using a private motor vehicle, anywhere. How many times do we have to go over this?
I suppose if I'm scratching around for silver linings then as long as London remains ruled by the private car the possibility exists that you might get run over.

I suppose if I'm scratching around for silver linings then as long as London remains ruled by the private car the possibility exists that you might get run over.

There are private cars in London, but to claim London is ruled by them is a rather warped viewpoint not aligned with reality.

There are private cars in London, but to claim London is ruled by them is a rather warped viewpoint not aligned with reality.
No shit Sherlock. Cars, being machines, are incapable of weilding power or authority. It may have been metaphor, hyperbole or both. We are allowed to make use of rhetorical techniques other than analogy you know.

No shit Sherlock. Cars, being machines, are incapable of weilding power or authority. It may have been metaphor, hyperbole or both. We are allowed to make use of rhetorical techniques other than analogy you know.
I'm not :(

All those who want to see an end to cars, you had your chance last week, but now teuchter’s back from his car dependant area it’s too late to have the positive effect of standing him up there, there’s really no other plus side to your plans, so I shall be seeking a 4ltr for the replacement bahnmobile.

All those who want to see an end to cars, you had your chance last week, but now teuchter’s back from his car dependant area it’s too late to have the positive effect of standing him up there, there’s really no other plus side to your plans, so I shall be seeking a 4ltr for the replacement bahnmobile.
I thought you were going to go all eco-warrior on us and buy some hippy hybrid

I thought you were going to go all eco-warrior on us and buy some hippy hybrid

I tried starting with a bike, but today I had to drive it to Chessington as the charging port has failed, therefore my conclusion is e/hybrid is bollocks and a meaty ICE is king. May even pair it with an SUV, in case I get a bad back.

teuchter has been surprisingly quiet about his various car journeys during his Scotland trip.

The fact that he couldn’t resist sharing a couple of images of roadside beauty spots goes to show that even a hardline anti car fundamentalist like him accepts cars can be sometimes be not just a crucial and irreplaceable mode of transportation, but also bring amazing enjoyment to their users.

teuchter has been surprisingly quiet about his various car journeys during his Scotland trip.

The fact that he couldn’t resist sharing a couple of images of roadside beauty spots goes to show that even a hardline anti car fundamentalist like him accepts cars can be sometimes be not just a crucial and irreplaceable mode of transportation, but also bring amazing enjoyment to their users.
I've not been quiet really - I deliberately posted those images to give you and others a chance to write a post like this and feel all pleased with yourselves.

Successful clickbait.

platinumsage certainly posts as if he believes he's not. Every other post is a ridiculous analogy or false equivalence.
We should also be careful posting from a purely hyperbolic standpoint when discussing such important matters.

'Hypocrite' in 'Doesn't want to shout it from the rooftops' shocker!

Back
Top Bottom