Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Can't spell what?
Are you saying that all of those YouTube videos, where 90+% of cyclists are riding like bellends, are fake?
I'm saying that people don't label videos of responsible cyclists on their commutes as 'idiot cyclists' and share them on their Whatsapp group.

And I'm saying that every example of a cyclist riding badly is immediately attributed to 'cyclists' generally whereas the same doesn't happen for bad driving. There are shitloads of bad driving videos on YouTube too.

I spent many years cycling on country roads etc before I could drive, and then many years both driving and cycling. I’ve encountered idiots, angry people and scary situations on both forms of transport.

However I seem to be able to cycle and drive without getting enraged or advocating for cars to abolished.
Would you like a medal?

I agree. It is inherently risky allowing amateur car drivers onto roads where professional cyclists train to do their job. The solution seems obvious to me. Get rid of the cars.

As so often you have this back to front; cycles restricted to velodromes (the clue is in the name) and cars to roads. Of course cycles can also use bridle paths so long as they slow/stop for horses. Had we adopted this sensible state of affairs this yon fella wouldn't have scratched a valuable vehicle and all this could have been avoided.

Would you like a medal?

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that "omg close pass" doesn't inevitably lead to car abolitionism, and that car abolitionists are an extreme fringe of cyclists, a bit like how most reasonable left wing people aren't members of the Spartacist League of Britain

I'm saying that people don't label videos of responsible cyclists on their commutes as 'idiot cyclists' and share them on their Whatsapp group.

And I'm saying that every example of a cyclist riding badly is immediately attributed to 'cyclists' generally whereas the same doesn't happen for bad driving. There are shitloads of bad driving videos on YouTube too.
When there are a large number of individual cyclists in a video (not in a group or in a race), we can use that as sample data, and there is a measurable probability that the sample statistics are good estimates of the population parameters, so when almost every rider in a given video is riding dangerously, then it's safe to assume that the vast majority of bike riders ride like bellends.

Not at all, I'm just pointing out that "omg close pass" doesn't inevitably lead to car abolitionism, and that car abolitionists are an extreme fringe of cyclists, a bit like how most reasonable left wing people aren't members of the Spartacist League of Britain
Just to clarify, I'm not currently a cyclist. I own a bicycle but haven't ridden it this year. My dislike of private cars predates my owning a bicycle and extended through many years (a decade plus) of not owning one.

I would cycle daily with proper provision for cyclists though. The main reason I don't like cycling is the amount of agg I get from drivers when riding perfectly legally.

I'm just pointing out that "omg close pass" doesn't inevitably lead to car abolitionism,
Did someone suggest that it does?

What I wrote about cyclists being attacked and threatened was in relation to the question of what things should be considered banter-worthy, and what part such banter might play in the continuing prevalence of such behaviour on the road.

I would cycle daily with proper provision for cyclists though. The main reason I don't like cycling is the amount of agg I get from drivers when riding perfectly legally.

Well yes, me too. There are lots of things I would do more of if they were safer. But banning private cars as a response is an extreme infringement of other's rights not to mention unworkable, a bit like a 6pm curfew for men would be to make the streets safer for women.

Well yes, me too. There are lots of things I would do more of if they were safer. But banning private cars as a response is an extreme infringement of other's rights not to mention unworkable, a bit like a 6pm curfew for men would be to make the streets safer for women.
This thread really seems to have caused some kind of red mist to descend where you respond to absolutely everything as if the person you are arguing with wants to ban all cars in all situations, and to do so in some sort of context where nothing else changes at the same time.

When there are a large number of individual cyclists in a video (not in a group or in a race), we can use that as sample data, and there is a measurable probability that the sample statistics are good estimates of the population parameters, so when almost every rider in a given video is riding dangerously, then it's safe to assume that the vast majority of bike riders ride like bellends.
YouTube videos are not a random sample.

In what sense is driving a right? And even if it were it demands regulation and control because driving will always involve infringing other people's rights in some way.

This thread really seems to have caused some kind of red mist to descend where you respond to absolutely everything as if the person you are arguing with wants to ban all cars in all situations, and to do so in some sort of context where nothing else changes at the same time.

There are lots of people calling for a total ban on private cars, yet no one has come up with any feasible context where that could actually happen. Stuff like "everyone could cycle and use buses and live in cities" isn't something that's going to work or that anyone beyond a few nutters actually wants.

If you have a vision of being able to cycle around without ever being able to encounter a Ronnie Pickering you're going to have to come up with a process to achieve that which is capable of convincing the majority of people.

In what sense is driving a right? And even if it were it demands regulation and control because driving will always involve infringing other people's rights in some way.

It's a de facto right as is being able to cycle, both appropriately regulated and controlled, and neither currently outlawable in a democracy.

There are lots of people calling for a total ban on private cars, yet no one has come up with any feasible context where that could actually happen. Stuff like "everyone could cycle and use buses and live in cities" isn't something that's going to work or that anyone beyond a few nutters actually wants.

If you have a vision of being able to cycle around without ever being able to encounter a Ronnie Pickering you're going to have to come up with a process to achieve that which is capable of convincing the majority of people.
A ban on private cars in city centres - with suitable exceptions for a small number of individuals/groups - is entirely workable, and really doesn’t require much imagination.

It's a de facto right
What does that even mean?

It's a privilege that's offered to a certain portion of the population, and one which can be withdrawn. That's why you have to have a license, and that's why there are some people who by law are not allowed to drive.

Not sure I want to spend more of my Sunday afternoon arguing with fundamentalist extremists actually.

Also need to get on with sorting a car to borrow for a couple of weeks.

What does that even mean?

It's a privilege that's offered to a certain portion of the population, and one which can be withdrawn. That's why you have to have a license, and that's why there are some people who by law are not allowed to drive.

That's a frequently trotted out argument but it's wrong. Just because something is licensable doesn't mean it's not a right. For example many US states (although a declining number) require firearms licences, despite gun ownership being a right.

Back
Top Bottom