Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Park and Ride is old-school thinking, it’s now regarded as sucking custom from rural bus services and other public transport, meaning these get underdeveloped. P&R basically incentivises car use, and only benefits car owners and those city dwellers who don’t ever need to use out of town public transport.
On the scale of current ones, yes. But when placed into the context of the other measures I outlined they would be part of an overall solution.

The aim isn’t to get rid of cars entirely. Merely to get their use down to an absolute minimum.

Paint is inflammable. An unopened fucking tin isn't. Go to the bus stop outside your nearest b&q and see how many get refused. Oscar Pistorius could count them on his toes.
Paint tins can fall over and the lid might come off. Even water based paint is banned from buses here. Not because it's inflammable but because if it does fall over and open it makes a right mess.

If paint is unsafe to carry on buses, it's unsafe to carry in cars. All this reveals is the different standards applied to different modes. Ban hazardous materials from carriage in private cars, or allow it on buses. Either option fine by me.

On the scale of current ones, yes. But when placed into the context of the other measures I outlined they would be part of an overall solution.

The aim isn’t to get rid of cars entirely. Merely to get their use down to an absolute minimum.

Not sure how building loads of new large car parks with special buses designed to serve car owners contributes to a strategy of reducing car use to a minimum. :confused:

Looking at the rest of your strategy, it needs some measure enabling people to get to their nearest bus stop, not an encouragment to ignore that and drive to the city.

Isn't it cheaper and more environmentally astute to continue using my car?

Obviously not.

Have you seen the environmental damage done creating the rechargeable batteries?

Rechargable. Clue's in the name. There is embodied energy in an e-bike yes, but if it results in petrol not getting burnt and new cars with vastly more embodied energy not being made then it's a net win.

Although I'm far from convinced that hybrid cars represent a significant net gain relative to efficient petrol-only cars once battery production and longevity is taken into account. But batteries in electric and hybrid cars are an order of magnitude larger than those in ebikes as they have to shift more weight at higher speeds over greater distances and they don't get any help from pedals.

If paint is unsafe to carry on buses, it's unsafe to carry in cars. All this reveals is the different standards applied to different modes. Ban hazardous materials from carriage in private cars, or allow it on buses. Either option fine by me.
Arriva say fine as long as it's a sealed tin in a bag. Stagecoach have a 5 litre limit on tin size no limit on tins. First have a three litre limit on tin size no limit on tins. That's the three biggest bus companies in the country. And that's if the driver even notices or can be arsed.

A lot of the anti-car posts in this thread seem motivated by envy that car owners have freedoms non car owners don't have. While I get that that isn't fair, the way to resolve this inequity isn't to remove cars from car owners leaving everyone at the mercy of dirty and unhelpful buses, rather it could be to make car use more easy to access with sharing, easy hire etc services for people for whom buses will never suffice.

If you make a mess of your own car that's your problem and it's only you that is likely to get covered in paint sorting it out. If paint spills in a bus the passengers could get covered in it traipsing through it, or slip on it and then sue the bus company. The bus needs taking out of service to be cleaned.

Only if the places you like are reasonably close. What if you 'like' France?

Then I would be able to find psychiatric assistance within easy cycling distance.

But seriously, well done for picking an example of a place you can't get to in a car without switching to another transport modality on account of your vehicle's woeful lack of buoyancy.

Then I would be able to find psychiatric assistance within easy cycling distance.

But seriously, well done for picking an example of a place you can't get to in a car without switching to another transport modality on account of your vehicle's woeful lack of buoyancy.

I only mentioned France because I don't know where you live. I could have said Cornwall but you might already live there. So let me rephrase. What if the place you 'like' is 250 miles away?

I only mentioned France because I don't know where you live. I could have said Cornwall but you might already live there. So let me rephrase. What if the place you 'like' is 250 miles away?

They've got these big long, train-shaped things nowadays. They call them 'trains'. They'd be marvellous if they hadn't been run down for decades to prop up the car industry.

I am free not to spend half my income on a car loan, insurance, fuel, road tax etc and I can go wherever I like on my £50 bike.
I have never had a car loan. My first car cost £400 my second car cost perhaps £500. At the moment my current car is valued at £1,000 .. car ownership doesn't have to be expensive.

My insurance is £230 pa. The most expensive cars I ever had were company cars, the company paid for those and the mileage was approximately 1,000 miles a week.

As to going wherever you want, my vehicles (including motorcycles) have taken me all around the UK, to France frequently, to Germany Netherlands, Austria, Spain etc etc ..

If it was cheaper to go by train I would consider it for weekends away, but generally when I have enquired about train tickets it has been cheaper to drive (even if it is only the driver in the car, for 3 or 4 people cars are way cheaper than train tickets). That just seems wrong no?

If it was cheaper to go by train I would consider it for weekends away, but generally when I have enquired about train tickets it has been cheaper to drive (even if it is only the driver in the car, for 3 or 4 people cars are way cheaper than train tickets). That just seems wrong no?

Because the rail network was actively sabotaged to encourage car use.

They've got these big long, train-shaped things nowadays. They call them 'trains'. They'd be marvellous if they hadn't been run down for decades to prop up the car industry.

So when you said you could go anywhere you like on your bike, you forgot to mention that you'd also take a train. I can walk anywhere I want in the world by walking to my car, driving to heathrow, flying there and walking off the plane.

So when you said you could go anywhere you like on your bike, you forgot to mention that you'd also take a train. I can walk anywhere I want in the world by walking to my car, driving to heathrow, flying there and walking off the plane.

Most of the places I want to go on any kind of regular basis are within 20 miles of my house. If that were not the case I would move, and not simply spend three hours a day in a car like an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom