Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Seriously, go and tell that to someone who can't drive or can't afford to.
I don't think I could live where I do without access to a car.
I couldn't get to work for a start.

You are right of course that there are people who can't drive or afford to. But that doesn't negate the fact that for many people their cars are a piece of personal freedom.

As to people who can't afford it, a car is an investment (though can be had for a lot less than many might think) but you have to make a commitment, purchase price, insurance, tax, breakdown insurance, MOTs and tyres and servicing etc ..

It's freedom for those fortunate enough to have it as an option.

Instinctively I don’t think the majority of people live in cities. I think the densest concentrations are in cities, but doubt that this is a majority. Perhaps it could be true in the U.K. but the USA, China etc? Of course I might be proven wrong.

How big are your tins of paint? Again I somehow manage to regularly bring paint home, sometimes even on foot, without a car.

Try boarding a bus with two 5ltr tins of paint and see how you get on. They get heavy after the first couple of miles of your walk.

Do you drivers allow passengers to take tins of paint with them?

It's not difficult to arrange delivery of bulky and heavy items if you don't drive. I've somehow managed to refloor two rooms in this house without any of us being able to drive.
How big are your tins of paint? Again I somehow manage to regularly bring paint home, sometimes even on foot, without a car.
But only possible if there’s a good alternative to the car, which often means some sort of petrol powered vehicle.

Ok. Good idea. But how do I get to work, go shopping without a car? There’s no public transport here. The nearest supermarket is only a 15 minute walk, but I’d need to shop most days. Mrs Dess has developed arthritis in her hand so she can’t carry much. I can’t do that if I am at work too. My only option is a once a week big shop. That means using the car to transport everything. Supermarkets don’t do online here.

Work is a 45 minute drive away. How do I get there without a car? Just to remind you, there’s no public transport here.

I could move closer to work, but then my wife would have the drive. Or we could both work in the same town. But there isn’t enough work for both of us in either town.

Move somewhere else? Possibly, but who’s going cover the costs? Because of the lockdown we can’t afford to move somewhere else at the moment.

I welcome your suggestions.
TERN_GSD_Cargo-1024x682.jpg

Next.

It's not difficult to arrange delivery of bulky and heavy items if you don't drive. I've somehow managed to refloor two rooms in this house without any of us being able to drive.
Exactly. And delivery is not the only solution.
I don't own a car but I can drive.
I manage to move heavy and bulky things around London when I need to. Some people's minds will be blown. Impossible! What is this black magic that he employs! they say.

The nearest supermarket is only a 15 minute walk, but I’d need to shop most days. Mrs Dess has developed arthritis in her hand so she can’t carry much. I can’t do that if I am at work too. My only option is a once a week big shop. That means using the car to transport everything. Supermarkets don’t do online here.
Jeezo, lots of people live a 15 minute walk from the supermarket and manage to do their shipping just fine without resorting to a car/public transport. And why would you need to shop most days? How much stuff are you buying? And a rucksack/trolley would solve Mrs D's problem. :confused:

Try boarding a bus with two 5ltr tins of paint and see how you get on. They get heavy after the first couple of miles of your walk.

Do you drivers allow passengers to take tins of paint with them?
I've got a lot more than that on the bus before! I got three packs of underlay and other assorted tools on once.

And yes, certainly, if unopened. Why wouldn't they? Taking a few things home from b&q is standard work for taxis. A couple of the S-Class drivers might moan I suppose.

Jeezo, lots of people live a 15 minute walk from the supermarket and manage to do their shipping just fine without resorting to a car/public transport. And why would you need to shop most days? How much stuff are you buying? And a rucksack/trolley would solve Mrs D's problem. :confused:
No it wouldn’t. It would aggravate her back injuries.

A normal weekly shop, at the weekend, would involve five or six bags. We don’t buy prepared foods and a weeks worth of fruit and vegetables is heavy. This problem with weight would be eased by shopping daily.

I've got a lot more than that on the bus before! I got three packs of underlay and other assorted tools on once.

And yes, certainly, if unopened. Why wouldn't they? Taking a few things home from b&q is standard work for taxis. A couple of the S-Class drivers might moan I suppose.

Tfl Conditions of Carriage
tfl.JPG

Which is why bus drivers routinely turn people away who are carrying tins of paint.

No it wouldn’t. It would aggravate her back injuries.

A normal weekly shop, at the weekend, would involve five or six bags. We don’t buy prepared foods and a weeks worth of fruit and vegetables is heavy. This problem with weight would be eased by shopping daily.
So you do it with a backpack or whatever instead twice a week. Think of the fitness and environmental gains!

(That's a lot of food for a week though. :eek: )

So you do it with a backpack or whatever instead twice a week. Think of the fitness and environmental gains!

I buy a hell of a lot more than that; partner, two kids, plus we buy for elderly neighbours two doors down. A weeks worth would be >20 bags. Still I suppose I could devote a couple of days a week to trundling back and forth to Tesco four or five times, (2 busses, 90 mins each way, £12 round trip).

You seem to be getting tins of paint mixed up with cruise missiles or something.

Paint is inflammable.

And then we have dogs, at the drivers discretion to accept them, obviously all your drivers will welcome them, but I have only ever had one cab driver who allowed me to take a dog with me.

I was a cyclist initially, which allowed me to get to the local cinema, meet my mates and visit the seaside.

Then I swore by motorbikes, I could visit my friends, the pub of a weekend, get to my various jobs about the place and tour around the place. Freedom was definitely the thing about a motorbike.

At first I didn't want to learn to drive a car, but eventually I had to admit to some advantages, I could carry more than one mate at a time, then how useful they are for carrying stuff, I could tow a trailer, and nice that they keep you dry.

So I am a fan of vehicles, they are useful, great and various!

A thread about public transport - wizard! Oh look, some people want more and better public transport. And yet some people think that lacks manliness and like cars. Goodness.. some videos of expensive cars. And some reasonable objections as to why we can't ban private cars. I can't wait to read on. So much new ground covered.

Soon, we'll only be allowed out once safely ensconced in near hermetically sealed palanquins. Exchanging infrequent messages with passers by and the few remaining humans involved in retail via short range radio. receiving our food packages and medication through the builtin sanitising airlock system. Other than the collection of these vital provisions, there will be no legal reason for class C citizens to be outside anyway. Daily exercise will be induced by electric muscle stimulous and confined to the private citadels we shall call home.

I buy a hell of a lot more than that; partner, two kids, plus we buy for elderly neighbours two doors down. A weeks worth would be >20 bags. Still I suppose I could devote a couple of days a week t trundling back and forth to Tesco four or five times, (2 busses, 90 mins each way, £12 round trip).
I was remarking on that being a lot for two people.

Online delivery could be better for you, with the odd top-up shop? They seem to plan their routes so it's as environmentally-friendly as possible round here Might save you time too.

Think of the already knackered knees, the already injured back. Think of the weight and size of ten litres of milk for the week. Think of 5kg of fruit, five kg of vegetables. Think of working till 9 at night, from 9 in the morning, except Saturday. think of the shops being closed for four hours at lunchtime, saturday afternoons, all day Sunday.

perhaps your idea might work in a UK town or city, but not here in rural Spain.

Paint is inflammable.

And then we have dogs, at the drivers discretion to accept them, obviously all your drivers will welcome them, but I have only ever had one cab driver who allowed me to take a dog with me.
Paint is inflammable. An unopened fucking tin isn't. Go to the bus stop outside your nearest b&q and see how many get refused. Oscar Pistorius could count them on his toes.

I was remarking on that being a lot for two people.

Online delivery could be better for you, with the odd top-up shop? They seem to plan their routes so it's as environmentally-friendly as possible round here Might save you time too.
That´s great if you can have someone to be there for accepting the delivery. But it isńt always possible.

Back
Top Bottom