Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Anyway, this is how you do it:

1 - Ban all private cars from city centres, with limited exceptions for some blue badge holders
2 - Build large park and ride areas on the outskirts of cities
3 - Segregated cycleways everywhere
4 - Daytime HGV/van delivery in cities banned. Overnight access allowed. Daytime cargo bike delivery encouraged where possible.
5 - Massively increased investment in both public transport capacity and fare subsidy, based on a fully nationalised, integrated transport network.
6 - Increase in fuel costs, a switch to per mile charging for private car use, mandatory dash cams and speed trackers.
7 - Changed light sequences at most junctions, with pedestrians and bicycles given default priority

There's more, but that would be a good start.

Surly the correct thing to do is not ban the car but make infrastructure good enough that the car is obsolete?

then ban the car

Yeah let's do something else first and then get rid of the poison-spewing, planet-killing, kiddie-maiming death machines. Because of priorities.

Think of the already knackered knees, the already injured back. Think of the weight and size of ten litres of milk for the week. Think of 5kg of fruit, five kg of vegetables. Think of working till 9 at night, from 9 in the morning, except Saturday. think of the shops being closed for four hours at lunchtime, saturday afternoons, all day Sunday.

perhaps your idea might work in a UK town or city, but not here in rural Spain.

Good lord, I think we need a thread on how many groceries people get through in a week! (Not being sarcastic or whatever, I'm just genuinely astonished. :D)

Last edited:
A thread about public transport - wizard! Oh look, some people want more and better public transport. And yet some people think that lacks manliness and like cars. Goodness.. some videos of expensive cars. And some reasonable objections as to why we can't ban private cars. I can't wait to read on. So much new ground covered.
I love my car, I’m a petrol head, unashamedly. But if there was a proper, workable alternative, one that was affordable, I’d use it, or at least consider it.

Paint is inflammable. An unopened fucking tin isn't. Go to the bus stop outside your nearest b&q and see how many get refused. Oscar Pistorius could count them on his toes.

You do it, my nearest B&Q is miles away, 15 mins by car, 3 hour round trip by bus, and that's ignoring the fact that today's a bank holiday. Please take an independent observer with you to verify your results or else we'll have to call chinny.

1 - Ban all private cars from city centres, with limited exceptions for some blue badge holders
4 - Daytime HGV/van delivery in cities banned. Overnight access allowed. Daytime cargo bike delivery encouraged where possible.
5 - Massively increased investment in both public transport capacity and fare subsidy, based on a fully nationalised, integrated transport network.
6 - Increase in fuel costs, a switch to per mile charging for private car use, mandatory dash cams and speed trackers.
7 - Changed light sequences at most junctions, with pedestrians and bicycles given default priority

You seem to have left out shooting all the Audi drivers. :confused:

Pave over the greenfields in the name of improving the environment. Might not work that one.

People do DIY. You need to get hold of the materials somehow. Most people who do DIY do it because they can't afford to pay someone to come in and do it so may find it prohibitive to pay the stupid delivery charges most DIY stores charge.

I managed to get several nine-foot lengths of forby-two home on the tram. Raised a couple of eyebrows but meh.

You do it, my nearest B&Q is miles away, 15 mins by car, 3 hour round trip by bus, and that's ignoring the fact that today's a bank holiday. Please take an independent observer with you to verify your results or else we'll have to call chinny.
You could come and look at all the walls in my house all of which were painted with paint that came home on the bus. Or I'll have to 'call chinny'. I'm sure some jobsworth cunt somewhere has turfed some poor sod off a bus for it at some point but they probably just got on the next one.

This is great, there will be no need for HGVs to enter cities, as they will only need to deliver to the out of town malls where all the shoppers will drive to. It's a win.

This is great, there will be no need for HGVs to enter cities, as they will only need to deliver to the out of town malls where all the shoppers will drive to. It's a win.

People only want to go to places they can drive to. Which explains why, prior to the invention of cars, nobody ever went anywhere.

Yet amazingly the reality of places where similar things have been tried/implemented show city centres thrive and see increased numbers of visitors and trade. Funny that, you make something built for people and people come to it. Well I never.

My god, I wonder if our civilisation with its low level of technology and wealth might be able to solve the problem of people with low mobility being able to get food without cars. Let's put our best minds on it. It's a tough one for sure, but if we work really hard we might be able to crack it. We might even work out a way of getting food to rural areas. Just a crazy dreamer here...

Love the people moaning that they might have to change their life a little bit if they didn't have a car. Diddums.

But if there was a proper, workable alternative, one that was affordable, I’d use it, or at least consider it.
I wouldn't. I live in Central London within 300 yards of 3 tube stations and about 40 bus routes. I keep the cars because I like driving them and I don't care about the emissions given that my overall footprint probably isn't much larger than most climate twat's and there are few better sounds than a twin turbo V6 kicking off down the road. :thumbs:

Instinctively I don’t think the majority of people live in cities. I think the densest concentrations are in cities, but doubt that this is a majority. Perhaps it could be true in the U.K. but the USA, China etc? Of course I might be proven wrong.
Depends what you mean by cities but the majority of people now live in urban environments, and that has been true for the US since early 1900s and the UK even earlier (approx 1850), China tipped over in ~2011

Park and Ride is old-school thinking, it’s now regarded as sucking custom from rural bus services and other public transport, meaning these get underdeveloped. P&R basically incentivises car use, and only benefits car owners and those city dwellers who don’t ever need to use out of town public transport.

I wouldn't. I live in Central London within 300 yards of 3 tube stations and about 40 bus routes. I keep the cars because I like driving them and I don't care about the emissions given that my overall footprint probably isn't much larger than most climate twat's and there are few better sounds than a twin turbo V6 kicking off down the road. :thumbs:
Unless it's a V8 or V12

Back
Top Bottom