Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

My extremist position is that we should build transport infrastructure that strikes a balance between allowing everyone to move around freely and easily, and minimising the extent to which people's living environment is dominated by such infrastructure.

That's what we have now. Roads are a nice balance between walking over muddy fields and everyone flying everywhere by helicopter.

Of course you take the more moderate position that smashing cars into elderly people's houses is a fair price to pay in return for allowing those who can afford BMWs to get everywhere they want to without having to interact with the lower classes, and consequently you are against the 92 year old woman using up taxpayer resources by being taken to hospital.

Of course this argument also applies to bicycles and trains. Let's all ensure we do the statistically least dangerous thing at all times, for example sit in an armchair.

I was thinking cars should have the same speed limiters they've introduced in hire escooters, and maybe streets should be designed in ways that keep speeds low.

Let me know when it's my turn to post a silly animal photo.

Let me know when it's my turn to post a silly animal photo.
Don't worry about it. I've got a load ready to go.

fdedc09996899.560ddc0f6c8f7.jpg

I was thinking cars should have the same speed limiters they've introduced in hire escooters, and maybe streets should be designed in ways that keep speeds low.

Why would you want to redesign streets to keep speeds low if cars have the same speed limiters as e-scooters? Presumably to slow down the dangerous cyclists? Might be easier to ban all vehicles that don't have speed limiters e.g. bicycles.

I'm going to say there's a difference between a motor only assisting up to 25kmph by law, and the laws of physics making cars going infinity mph impossible.

You know they put the road in a tunnel, right? This was possible due to the gentrification associated with the massive decline in industry and the relocation of the federal parliament.

If you're in favour of gentrification and expensive road tunneling schemes, just say so.

Is there something about the change that makes you feel uncomfortable?

Is there something about the change that makes you feel uncomfortable?

Road tunnels are a fantastic way allowing people in cars to move across cities while avoiding pedestrians and cyclists.

However I do indeed feel very uncomfortable about the scheme pictured, because if such a scheme presented itself today, the car-abolitionists would try to prevent it on the grounds that no money should be spent on new roads.

They’d probably have to rely on hyper-gentrification eliminating factories, manual workers, and wholesale trade in goods from the area in order to get such a road-to-park conversion achieved without an accompanying tunnel.

Basically a bunch of turkeys voting for Christmas. I bet they were all tweeting that there needs to be more parking and more roads.

I liked this rant in the comments posted at 4am:

by Northernpower
This isn’t the only nightmare for drivers in Manchester. The city has, over 15+ years, slowly been destroyed by the lunatics, who are planning the layouts and directions with an anti-car bias, bordering on hatred.. they’ve done the exact opposite of what they should have done. People work long and hard to afford a car, which gives them security, convenience and flexibility. Imagine using public transport yesterday to visit Manchester.. walk to bus/tram stop, with kids, all cold and wet… wait for transport, colder and wetter.. get on with the great unwashed and unmasked, cold and wet… eventually get to Manchester, walk from stop to first destination.. howling winds, rain, very cold and very wet… after a couple hours shopping, wait with multiple bags in the torrential rain and 25mph winds at the stop for bus/tram.. and reverse the inward journey.. an absolute living nightmare.. resolve it by…. make all main arterial routes three lanes each way fir at least the last two miles i to the city if not five miles.. remove mad one way systems in centre and replan with a commercially minded planner in place… stop all buses from entering the centre, getting them to stop at strategic points around the ring road..Max 5 minute walk to absolute centre of town.. stop all on street parking except for disabled, stop all deliveries between 0800 and 1800, funnel traffic into the many cars parks… and you’ll get … roads free flowing, delays and increased pollution gone, families safe, warm, dry and happy.. retailers increased trade, better job security and cleaner air..

No doubt people will claim this person is silly, and that their proposed measures will lead to more congestion. But those people will be unable to explain how Manchester's supposedly pro-bus transport policy has been a success.

Back
Top Bottom