Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

I had an incredible blast on the A1 between Berwick and Edinburgh a couple of months ago. I was in the Porsche, moseying along without a care, and saw another car popping others in the mirror. This went on for a while until he was behind me. He was obviously up for it and the road was splitting into dual carriageway about a mile ahead. There was a trundler in front of me so I just moved right-sideways so racer-boy couldn't see past to overtake before the DC. As soon as the road split, trundler stayed left and I floored it. Full down, expecting this bloke to vanish backwards, but he stayed glued to me like I was towing him. Right on my bumper. I could see that it was a BMW from the lights and grille but no idea what the motor was and this bloke obviously knew the road better than I did (or had misplaced faith in me!)

We were using both lanes through several curves and on one straight he tried to pass but didn't have enough before a right bend and had to tuck in behind me. Then there was this biiiiiiiig fucking left and I couldn't see the other end of it so I backed off. We were doing about 130 into it and there was a straight with another right ahead but I'd backed-off too much into the left, was out of gear, and didn't want to drop it on the flaps and cart-wheel off into the heather. He completely did me, and came past at around 30mph so was likely doing 150-160 (this was when I saw it was a 20 plate M3).

He was a very experienced driver, to be fair.

And then the whole motorway stood up and applauded.

I had an incredible blast on the A1 between Berwick and Edinburgh a couple of months ago. I was in the Porsche, moseying along without a care, and saw another car popping others in the mirror. This went on for a while until he was behind me. He was obviously up for it and the road was splitting into dual carriageway about a mile ahead. There was a trundler in front of me so I just moved right-sideways so racer-boy couldn't see past to overtake before the DC. As soon as the road split, trundler stayed left and I floored it. Full down, expecting this bloke to vanish backwards, but he stayed glued to me like I was towing him. Right on my bumper. I could see that it was a BMW from the lights and grille but no idea what the motor was and this bloke obviously knew the road better than I did (or had misplaced faith in me!)

We were using both lanes through several curves and on one straight he tried to pass but didn't have enough before a right bend and had to tuck in behind me. Then there was this biiiiiiiig fucking left and I couldn't see the other end of it so I backed off. We were doing about 130 into it and there was a straight with another right ahead but I'd backed-off too much into the left, was out of gear, and didn't want to drop it on the flaps and cart-wheel off into the heather. He completely did me, and came past at around 30mph so was likely doing 150-160 (this was when I saw it was a 20 plate M3).

He was a very experienced driver, to be fair.
1636271956436.jpeg

Just car drivers trying to emulate going by train because they are jealous. Whenever i go from london to Edinburgh I basically go the whole way at 125mph without even thinking about it, except when you can see you are overtaking all the losers on the motorway.

Looking forward to all the posters going on about cyclists and red lights condemning someone doing 130 on an A road…

Just car drivers trying to emulate going by train because they are jealous. Whenever i go from london to Edinburgh I basically go the whole way at 125mph without even thinking about it, except when you can see you are overtaking all the losers on the motorway.
Travelling by train is stupidly expensive.

Given all the faff there is at airports nowadays it’s often quicker by train for a lot of internal routes.

For some, but not London-Edinburgh. Only a dunce would take the train on that route. The main train service that beats flying is London to Paris, Eurostar, but even that only works if you live closer to Kings Cross than you do to an airport.

For some, but not London-Edinburgh. Only a dunce would take the train on that route. The main train service that beats flying is London to Paris, Eurostar, but even that only works if you live closer to Kings Cross than you do to an airport.
Or Ebbesfleet International. And you don’t have to live nearer, you just have to live near enough.

Or Ebbesfleet International. And you don’t have to live nearer, you just have to live near enough.

Trouble is, the vast majority of the UK population don't. Eurostar is great for the fortunate minority. For most others, flying is cheaper and quicker.

Or if you give a shit about the environment

Trouble is, the vast majority of the UK population don't.
The vast majority of the UK population don’t what? Live close enough to a relevant train station, whilst simultaneously living close to an airport? And also their destination is close to a relevant airport but not close to the train station?

To be honest, I find it simply extraordinary that in a time where we are recognising the incredibly difficult task of sufficiently reducing our carbon emissions, we would even conceive of allowing flights on routes that have perfectly adequate train line alternatives. You can treat it all as a big joke if that’s what you find funny. It isn’t though.

I’d still take the (first class, naturally ;) ) train over the endless queues, security faff and waiting around (even in the business lounges) flying entails nowadays.

It's pretty hard to justify domestic flights. The saving in time and convenience is marginal in most cases, and comes at a great carbon cost. The trouble is that's not reflected in the relative pricing; trains are still ridiculously expensive. They need to take the railways back into public ownership and lower the prices, as well as taxing domestic flights at much higher rates.

The talk about banning cars is pie-in-the-sky as that'd be a massive negative impact on the vast majority of the population until there's a viable alternative, but it wouldn't take much to make train travel more attractive than flights, domestically.

The vast majority of the UK population don’t what?

Don't live closer to Kings X, or Ebbesfleet International, than do to Heathrow, Stanstead, Luton, Gatwick, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Newcastle, or any other airports that serve Paris.

Last edited:
The talk about banning cars is pie-in-the-sky as that'd be a massive negative impact on the vast majority of the population until there's a viable alternative, but it wouldn't take much to make train travel more attractive than flights, domestically.

This is generally the case domestically but not with London-Edinburgh, especially from LCY, which is pretty much turn-up and go.

This is generally the case domestically but not with London-Edinburgh, especially from LCY, which is pretty much turn-up and go.

Even City airport’s an arse to get to. I used to travel between London & Edinburgh a lot and never even dreamt of flying. Train’s a lot more pleasant and takes you into the centre of both. The bus from Edinburgh airport was an arse. Once you factor everything in flying only really works for the well off who can get taxis or park their cars and the airport.

Don't live closer to Kings X, or Ebbesfleet International, than they do to Heathrow, Stanstead, Luton, Gatwick, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Birmingham, Bristol, Glasgow, Newcastle, or any other airports that serve Paris.
Maybe people that live in Birmingham might have to have a longer journey time, and make a decision about whether that is worth the travel, then. If it’s not worth it then so be it. Not everybody gets to do anything they want whenever they want to.

I think maybe you aren’t grasping what “unsustainable” means. It’s not just an abstract concept invented by hippies. It means that we are burning through the fat and that when the resources are exhausted, there will be a catastrophic inability to do any of the things we currently take for granted. Not an inability because of political will but an physical inability as a result of disaster. Unsustainable means that either you solve the problem now whilst it is in your hands or eventually the problem will be solved for you because of physical constraints.

At the moment, we are a trust fund kiddie that is living a rock star life style, but our trust fund is going to run out by the time we hit 40, and we have no plan at all about what we’re going to do next. If we had trimmed the excesses when we were still 18, we could have lived pretty well off the trust income. Now we’re 30, though, we‘re going to have to trim a bit more but then we should just about be able to survive off the capital. If we don’t do enough, though, we’re just going to end up penniless and destitute at 40. It’s not a choice. The only choice is do enough now or be forced into penury later.

In that context, picking off the low-hanging fruit is surely obviously a good idea. Surely we can live with some extra hours on journeys to completely different countries? And if those extra hours aren’t worth it, don’t make the journey because it obviously wasn’t that important.

I reiterate, this isn’t all a big joke. I find the back-and-forth trolling just pathetic, frankly. It’s not funny that we’re going to hit a pretty fucking huge crash barrier in our immediate future.

Back
Top Bottom