Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Do I have to declare modifications to my insurer?

In a word: yes. If you don’t tell us about any modifications, your policy will be declared void and any claims that you may have made will not be paid out.
Plausible deniability. I'm not a systems analyst. How would I be expected to know if somebody had tampered with the car before I bought it?
They'd have to prove you were aware of the modifications. 99.99999% of people would have no idea what an ECU looked like, far less how to flash one.

Oh come on, you admitted on this thread you had no idea how a zebra crossing was supposed to operate. I doubt you could pass a basic pedestrian test designed for primary school children and should probably not be allowed to walk anywhere without a chaperone.
Nonetheless, easily more competent than 80% of car owners and all of the pro-car loons posting on here.

Plausible deniability. I'm not a systems analyst. How would I be expected to know if somebody had tampered with the car before I bought it?
They'd have to prove you were aware of the modifications. 99.99999% of people would have no idea what an ECU looked like, far less how to flash one.

Weak

Doesn’t this prove that speed limiters work and don’t cause accidents ?
They are fake and sponsored by North Korea as part of their secret programme to dupe drivers into relinquishing their freedom so that they can be controlled by communists and made to ferry dissidents to labour camps which do not yet have public transport connections.

Speed limiters will be standard on all new cars pretty soon. They're already are on some in a baby steps sort of way. The new VW EV range is all limited to 99mph despite being able to go much quicker.

For all the stick they get from anti-car people, most Mercs, BMWs and Audis have been limited to 155 mph for decades. The Germans leading the way in car safety as always :)

Yes, you are right - insurers love finding reasons to pay out, rather than weaselling out with any excuse
It doesn't matter what they do or don't like doing. If you have no knowledge of the modification, you can't be expected to tell them about it.
But you must have known you were wrong when edcraw liked your post.

It doesn't matter what they do or don't like doing. If you have no knowledge of the modification, you can't be expected to tell them about it.

Bearing in mind - you’ve gone from “you don’t have to report it” to “I’d pretend I didn’t know about it” you aren’t exactly nailing it.

Pretty certain you're incorrect here and the onus is - arguably rather unfairly - on the owner to have checked everything. Will message a mate who works in the field and see if I can get an answer...

Pretty certain you're incorrect here and the onus is - arguably rather unfairly - on the owner to have checked everything. Will message a mate who works in the field and see if I can get an answer...
I'm pretty certain that you have to knowingly fail to declare something. If a previous owner had fitted a 2L engine into a 1.8L car, how could the next owner be expected to know?
Actually, when you sign the proposal, I'm pretty sure there's a 'to the best of my knowledge' clause or check box.

I'm pretty certain that you have to knowingly fail to declare something. If a previous owner had fitted a 2L engine into a 1.8L car, how could the next owner be expected to know?
Actually, when you sign the proposal, I'm pretty sure there's a 'to the best of my knowledge' clause or check box.
So, I asked, and apparently the answer is an extremely vague and wide ranging "it depends" with a sizeable side order of "fuck knows" :D

So, I asked, and apparently the answer is an extremely vague and wide ranging "it depends" with a sizeable side order of "fuck knows" :D
If its something like a hole in the bonnet, with a massive supercharger poking through it, then it would be fairly obvious and would have to be divulged, but something like an ECU remap, the end user wouldn't be expected to know and likely wouldn't be able to notice that it had been carried out. It's impossible to divulge information you're unaware of, and I'm pretty certain an insurance company couldn't void a policy on that basis, regardless of what people are guessing at here.

If its something like a hole in the bonnet, with a massive supercharger poking through it, then it would be fairly obvious and would have to be divulged, but something like an ECU remap, the end user wouldn't be expected to know and likely wouldn't be able to notice that it had been carried out. It's impossible to divulge information you're unaware of, and I'm pretty certain an insurance company couldn't void a policy on that basis, regardless of what people are guessing at here.
A lot would come down to how plausible any denial of knowledge would be. A remap that just gently smoothed out a torque curve or gave better mpg you’d likely get away with. But if your 1.0 Corsa is suddenly making a noise like a firecracker on every down shift… probably not.

A lot would come down to how plausible any denial of knowledge would be. A remap that just gently smoothed out a torque curve or gave better mpg you’d likely get away with. But if your 1.0 Corsa is suddenly making a noise like a firecracker on every down shift… probably not.
But a speed limiter, where the only way you could know it was disabled would be by breaking the law?

Back
Top Bottom