Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

It’s not particularly the people living on these streets that support LTNs - in fact quite a few oppose as they’re more likely to be richer and so car owners and are inconvenienced.

Who supports them then, if not the people inside or people outside?

Her mum is a vociferous opponent of LTNs.
So? LTNs aren't my favoured solution and the health problems caused by cars are unfortunately not limited to one death. And what she actually says makes a mockery of your attempt to frame exposure to pollution as individual choice.

So? LTNs aren't my favoured solution and the health problems caused by cars are unfortunately not limited to one death. And what she actually says makes a mockery of your attempt to frame exposure to pollution as individual choice.

I didn't do anything of the sort. People were complaining about LTNs in terms of traffic congestion, not pollution, and that's what I focused on.

I know you care about pollution a lot, in which case you should oppose LTNs in the same way that the mother of the dead girl you chose to cite does.

I know you’re going to blame speed limits for this, or maybe traffic lights, but both are necessary under certain circumstances.
No, I blame cars. It doesn’t matter how many ways you look at the congestion and pollution problems in our cities, it always - always - comes back to cars. There are too many of them, making too many unnecessary trips, on poorly designed infrastructure. Get rid of large numbers of them and it gets better for everyone, Including those (relatively few) who actually need to drive.

We are decades behind other cities who realised this back in the 70’s. People whining about LTN’s because they haven’t magically fixed the problem overnight are missing the point. The problem we have created will take a generation or more to fix. But fix it we must - and will - in spite of the inevitable wailing from those dinosaurs who refuse to engage with needed changes to their lives.

I didn't do anything of the sort. People were complaining about LTNs in terms of traffic congestion, not pollution, and that's what I focused on.

I know you care about pollution a lot, in which case you should oppose LTNs in the same way that the mother of the dead girl you chose to cite does.
Congestion causes pollution. And no, I'm not.

No, I blame cars. It doesn’t matter how many ways you look at the congestion and pollution problems in our cities, it always - always - comes back to cars. There are too many of them, making too many unnecessary trips, on poorly designed infrastructure. Get rid of large numbers of them and it gets better for everyone, Including those (relatively few) who actually need to drive.

We are decades behind other cities who realised this back in the 70’s. People whining about LTN’s because they haven’t magically fixed the problem overnight are missing the point. The problem we have created will take a generation or more to fix. But fix it we must - and will - in spite of the inevitable wailing from those dinosaurs who refuse to engage with needed changes to their lives.

And LTNs are just part of the solution. ULEZ, road pricing, cycle lanes are all others.

No, I blame cars. It doesn’t matter how many ways you look at the congestion and pollution problems in our cities, it always - always - comes back to cars. There are too many of them, making too many unnecessary trips, on poorly designed infrastructure. Get rid of large numbers of them and it gets better for everyone …

Finally something we can agree on, Bees. I fully support getting rid of the majority of cars. Just as long as mine aren’t included in the cull. How would you go about it though? For starters I suggest banning all non-German vehicles. Then legislate heavily against all the remainder with engine capacities of less than 3 litres. I reckon you could even twist my arm and have me agree to the banning of all non black or silver cars too. 👍

Note the lack of cycle and bus lanes, the resultant wide roads have encouraged cycling and everyone is happy. Go check out Oxford today and notice the mess they've made of it.

Finally something we can agree on, Bees. I fully support getting rid of the majority of cars. Just as long as mine aren’t included in the cull. How would you go about it though? For starters I suggest banning all non-German vehicles. Then legislate heavily against all the remainder with engine capacities of less than 3 litres. I reckon you could even twist my arm and have me agree to the banning of all non black or silver cars too. 👍

Exactly. People with small city cars obviously don't need them because public transport is good in cities, so they can get the bus.

Last edited:
I'd agree with a ban on cars for anybody who doesn't need one. Obviously, everyone on this thread who is advocating against them should immediately stop driving and use only public transport or bicycles. edcraw can use a tricycle, whilst those of us who can prove that we need them can continue to use them.
Emotional support cars will obviously be allowed.

Okay - prove that you need a car.
Then set out your criteria for proving (to you) that someone needs to own a car and we'll offer up a response. If you want us to play this game then you need to set out some ground rules. Saying prove it is meaningless since you can then continue to say well I don't accept that, so tell us what you do accept.

Then set out your criteria for proving (to you) that someone needs to own a car and we'll offer up a response. If you want us to play this game then you need to set out some ground rules. Saying prove it is meaningless since you can then continue to say well I don't accept that, so tell us what you do accept.

It was his suggestion.

However very few people NEED a car. For most it’s a choice.

Back
Top Bottom