Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Spymaster has already offered up his definition of what someone who needs a car is, ie someone who already owns a large expensive German one (even though I personally qualify under his criteria even I think that's a bit of a narrow definition) but he isn't the person who wants to restrict ownership you are, so tell us what grounds do you consider justification for owning a car.

It was his suggestion.

However very few people NEED a car. For most it’s a choice.
Again define NEED, clearly I don't need a car in the same way I need oxygen, water or food or even clothing and shelter but the lifestyle I have, where I live and the job I do would be impossible for me to do without a car. So to me I need a car to the extent where I am willing to bear the not inconsiderable cost of running it.

Spymaster has already offered up his definition of what someone who needs a car is, ie someone who already owns a large expensive German one (even though I personally qualify under his criteria even I think that's a bit of a narrow definition) but he isn't the person who wants to restrict ownership you are, so tell us what grounds do you consider justification for owning a car.

I don't want to restrict ownership. Just more restrictions on where and how they are used because I recgonise he impact on others & the damage they cause.

Again define NEED, clearly I don't need a car in the same way I need oxygen, water or food or even clothing and shelter but the lifestyle I have, where I live and the job I do would be impossible for me to do without a car. So to me I need a car to the extent where I am willing to bear the not inconsiderable cost of running it.
Yes, you need a car because of the choices you've made. Therefore it's a choice.

Yes, you need a car because of the choices you've made. Therefore it's a choice.
Absolutely wouldn't argue with you, it's my choice and I have made it, I'm quite happy with it too and wouldn't deny it to anyone else.

I’m against restricting cars to people who can prove a need for them. That’s what North Korea does, and I think it’s the only country to do so.

Car abolitionists are welcome to emigrate there and lobby the government of that country to tighten restrictions further and ban cars altogether.

Absolutely wouldn't argue with you, it's my choice and I have made it, I'm quite happy with it too and wouldn't deny it to anyone else.
and it impacts others. With the right restrictions & nudges you can be helped to make better choices 😃

I’m against restricting cars to people who can prove a need for them. That’s what North Korea does, and I think it’s the only country to do so.

Car abolitionists are welcome to emigrate there and lobby the government of that country to tighten restrictions further and ban cars altogether.
Again, it's not about restricting ownership just how & where they are used to decrease the damage and impact on others.

and it impacts others. With the right restrictions & nudges you can be helped to make better choices 😃
Living in cities is detrimental to people's mental and physical health. Moving away from cities is what we should be aiming for, not into them.
Stupid people living in cities, crying about city pollution and congestion. Its almost as if they're a bit fucking thick. :facepalm:

Note the lack of cycle and bus lanes, the resultant wide roads have encouraged cycling and everyone is happy. Go check out Oxford today and notice the mess they've made of it.

Exactly. People with small city cars obviously don't need them because public transport is good in cities, so they can get the bus.

Public transport is rubbish over here and the pandemic showed just how flawed a system relying on public transport can become.

On another tack. There was an accident on a motorway here last week. Traffic was left either sat there or crawling for 5 hours. My dad happened to be stuck in the middle of that mess. 5 hours. Think about how that would pan out if all the cars were electric and couldnt recharge.

Rather doubt it, I feel I've made the best (indeed only realistically practical) choice for me. The kind of nudges that would encourage me to give up my car would be ruinously expensive for society as a whole and would be better spent on other things that would be of greater benefit to the community (which I am all in favour of). Any restrictions that would severe enough to drive me into giving up mine would result in whatever petrol was left being used to publicly burn anti-car campaigners and XR protesters alive in town squares before it would be effective in its desired aims.

Sorely that's more an argument for the abolition of sat navs?
You will pry my satnav out of my cold dead hands. The current car has got one built in but the reason I bought one in the first place was when we took Son Q to Open Day at Leeds Uni. I spent almost as long driving around trying to find my way out of Leeds as I did coming home, definitely did some unnecessary polluting that day.

Sorely that's more an argument for the abolition of sat navs?
Why abolish anything?

I see why the drivers on this thread find these things threatening. It's difficult to have to realise that you are causing harm & LTNs are slightly counter intuitive and can be hard for some to understand. I think supporters of these schemes need to be patient and help people by explaining them and you all we get there eventually. 🙂

Where have you got that from?
Mental wellbeing

Prevalence of psychiatric disorders is significantly higher among people living in urban areas, says a meta-analysis of 20 pieces of research conducted over the past 35 years. Specifically, people in cities suffer from mood disorders and anxiety at a disproportionately high rate.

It's weird that you would question something so blatantly obvious, yet not even remotely surprising.

Why abolish anything?

I see why the drivers on this thread find these things threatening. It's difficult to have to realise that you are causing harm & LTNs are slightly counter intuitive and can be hard for some to understand. I think supporters of these schemes need to be patient and help people by explaining them and you all we get there eventually. 🙂

Perhaps you'd like to mansplain LTNs to the mother whose daughter's death maomao so cynically exploited earlier today on this thread.

This is what she said:

"What I’m most annoyed about is councillors’ patronising responses, as if people on this side are stupid. For example ‘you need to give it time’. I need to give it time? Not only did they not consult us when they closed off roads, where did they think the traffic was going to go? "what is unforgivable is that we are in the midst of a pandemic. The numbers from the BAME community on this side are more than on the other side. The other side is more affluent. It’s environmental racism."

It's weird that you would question something so blatantly obvious, yet not even remotely surprising.

I wasn't questioning it. As the research you link to shows, it's caused mainly by air pollution, so let's do something about it. I think it's finally clicking for you - good work! 🏆

Back
Top Bottom