Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Why abolish anything?

I see why the drivers on this thread find these things threatening. It's difficult to have to realise that you are causing harm & LTNs are slightly counter intuitive and can be hard for some to understand. I think supporters of these schemes need to be patient and help people by explaining them and you all we get there eventually. 🙂

Sorry but. ... modern cars emissions are really low. And some of us really need a car.

I wasn't questioning it. As the research you link to shows, it's caused mainly by air pollution, so let's do something about it. I think it's finally clicking for you - good work! 🏆
We are doing something about it, you muppet. We're introducing electric cars! :facepalm: 🤣

Definitely (a small) part of the solution though doesn’t deal with the pollution from brakes and tyres or noise pollution. Glad you on board though!

Soon cars will be so environmentally friendly that cyclists will be worse polluters. Inner tubes, oil on the chain, low-grade tyre rubber etc. All these things create nasty unnecessary waste and pollution.

Thanks to all the teflon-laced oil spray that cyclists love to smother their machines with, a bike uses more fossil fuel per passenger km than an electric car.

Definitely (a small) part of the solution though doesn’t deal with the pollution from brakes and tyres or noise pollution. Glad you’re on board though!
I think you'll find regenerative braking does help to deal with pollution from brakes, and in case you havent noticed, electric cars do help to deal with noise pollution. :facepalm:

Some stupid city dwellers are already complaining that electric cars are too quiet, when they step out in front of them and get run over. You can't win with these people. They will always try to shift the responsibility for their stupidity onto someone else.

Well done guys - think you've both had a productive afternoon actively looking for solution to the damage done by cars. 👏

I wasn't questioning it. As the research you link to shows, it's caused mainly by air pollution, so let's do something about it. I think it's finally clicking for you - good work! 🏆

Most cars in cities are under 10 yrs old. Theyre not the problem as regards emissions.
Yeah keep the poor on the buses and allow the rich to glide about in their Range Rover Sports.

Really showing your true colours now aren't you?

It was his suggestion.

However very few people NEED a car. For most it’s a choice.

I definitely need a car.
No way will I ever be on a bus or train or plane again. Not when I am on immunosuppressants and it's pretty obvious thay covid will be around for the next ten years.

I definitely need a car.
No way will I ever be on a bus or train or plane again. Not when I am on immunosuppressants and it's pretty obvious thay covid will be around for the next ten years.
Good example of the few cases where people do need cars.

I’m against restricting cars to people who can prove a need for them. That’s what North Korea does, and I think it’s the only country to do so.

Car abolitionists are welcome to emigrate there and lobby the government of that country to tighten restrictions further and ban cars altogether.

This has not been my experience.

I think you'll find regenerative braking does help to deal with pollution from brakes, and in case you havent noticed, electric cars do help to deal with noise pollution. :facepalm:

Some stupid city dwellers are already complaining that electric cars are too quiet, when they step out in front of them and get run over. You can't win with these people. They will always try to shift the responsibility for their stupidity onto someone else.
There was a Telsa Model S pulling away when I arrived on the gym car park this am. At low speed they are totally silent, so one of the extra benefits of them is that noise pollution will plummet.
I do know someone who is campaigning to have them make some noise so that guide dogs will still recognise them as cars but since dogs have vastly superior hearing to us apes, it's actually possible to make one that sounds noisy to a dog but is still silent from our point of view.

There was a Telsa Model S pulling away when I arrived on the gym car park this am. At low speed they are totally silent, so one of the extra benefits of them is that noise pollution will plummet.
I do know someone who is campaigning to have them make some noise so that guide dogs will still recognise them as cars but since dogs have vastly superior hearing to us apes, it's actually possible to make one that sounds noisy to a dog but is still silent from our point of view.
You could insert a dog whistle into a funnel on the roof.

Back
Top Bottom