Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Entirely unashamed anti car propaganda, and the more the better.

Paris showing how it can be done :cool:

I think all London boroughs have gone that way already It’s broadly very good. There was some issue where the road was still multi-carriageway, but near me they solved that by slowing the road down in other ways (wide segregated cycle lane, road narrowing, elevated pedestrian crossings) - so now those roads feel residential too, even if they’re not.
Anyway. Yeah. Make cities 20mph, unless actual motorways or similar.

I think all London boroughs have gone that way already It’s broadly very good. There was some issue where the road was still multi-carriageway, but near me they solved that by slowing the road down in other ways (wide segregated cycle lane, road narrowing, elevated pedestrian crossings) - so now those roads feel residential too, even if they’re not.
Anyway. Yeah. Make cities 20mph, unless actual motorways or similar.

Real problem of it being enforced though - we have GPS speed limiters for e-scooters time to do it on cars.

Surely everyone realises that speed limits are a type of realpolitik unspoken compromise between road users and the authorities, right?

The urban speed limit reductions taking place across cities in Europe do work in reducing average speeds, but the intention is not and will never be to expect and implement a strict enforcement of a 20 mph limit. What it does is reducing average speeds in the longer term from slightly over 30 mph to mid 20s, which is an acceptable compromise for all concerned.

Anyone who seriously campaigns for a strict 20 mph enforcement and would support people being prosecuted for doing even 3-4 mph above it don’t have the first fucking clue what they’re talking about, and most likely can’t drive or are barely competent and unduly terrified of driving.

And before anyone starts peddling the tired ‘typical arrogant selfish drivers thinking they know better than the experts’, let’s state what should already be obvious: speed limits in this country are of course set by politicians with little regard for any truly impartial data. Plenty of speed limits are actually too high, such as in loads of 50 mph country roads. And many if not most drivers will tell you that- so you can knock off the argument that drivers want to be allowed to drive as fast as possible without any regard for safety too.

Bottom line. It is perfectly safe to break the speed limit to a moderate degree in some circumstances. And in other circumstances it would actually be reckless for a driver to be doing more than 40-42 mph on a government-sanctioned 50 mph road. The government and the Highway Code are not infallible and actually get it wrong: deal with it.

So the authorities most definitely don’t always know best, and frankly, anyone who feels they need a roadside sign to tell them what the safe speed limit might be for any given stretch of road should quit driving immediately and undertake additional driving training, because they are undoubtedly unsafer than millions of drivers who shock horror break the speed limit to an appropriate degree in the right circumstances.

Surely everyone realises that speed limits are a type of realpolitik unspoken compromise between road users and the authorities, right?

The urban speed limit reductions taking place across cities in Europe do work in reducing average speeds, but the intention is not and will never be to expect and implement a strict enforcement of a 20 mph limit. What it does is reducing average speeds in the longer term from slightly over 30 mph to mid 20s, which is an acceptable compromise for all concerned.

Anyone who seriously campaigns for a strict 20 mph enforcement and would support people being prosecuted for doing even 3-4 mph above it don’t have the first fucking clue what they’re talking about, and most likely can’t drive or are barely competent and unduly terrified of driving.

And before anyone starts peddling the tired ‘typical arrogant selfish drivers thinking they know better than the experts’, let’s state what should already be obvious: speed limits in this country are of course set by politicians with little regard for any truly impartial data. Plenty of speed limits are actually too high, such as in loads of 50 mph country roads. And many if not most drivers will tell you that- so you can knock off the argument that drivers want to be allowed to drive as fast as possible without any regard for safety too.

Bottom line. It is perfectly safe to break the speed limit to a moderate degree in some circumstances. And in other circumstances it would actually be reckless for a driver to be doing more than 40-42 mph on a government-sanctioned 50 mph road. The government and the Highway Code are not infallible and actually get it wrong: deal with it.

So the authorities most definitely don’t always know best, and frankly, anyone who feels they need a roadside sign to tell them what the safe speed limit might be for any given stretch of road should quit driving immediately and undertake additional driving training, because they are undoubtedly unsafer than millions of drivers who shock horror break the speed limit to an appropriate degree in the right circumstances.

tldr?

The drivers who assume they have the best driving skills and need not concern themselves with speed limits are exactly the drivers who shouldn't be trusted to make that call. The rule should therefore be you can go faster than the speed limit, provided you're not the sort of arrogant twat who actually wants to.

I am however in favour of enforcing the drink drive limit on a 'give or take twelve pints' basis. We can trust drivers to decide what their own capabilities are, and if they decide that they can drive safely after a quantity of pear schnapps that renders them legally blind then it's not for any government busybody or liberal do-gooder to tell them otherwise.

I ride on the pavement and jump red lights to an appropriate degree in the right circumstances.

The drivers who assume they have the best driving skills and need not concern themselves with speed limits are exactly the drivers who shouldn't be trusted to make that call. The rule should therefore be you can go faster than the speed limit, provided you're not the sort of arrogant twat who actually wants to.

I am however in favour of enforcing the drink drive limit on a 'give or take twelve pints' basis. We can trust drivers to decide what their own capabilities are, and if they decide that they can drive safely after a quantity of pear schnapps that renders them legally blind then it's not for any government busybody or liberal do-gooder to tell them otherwise.
And I still put it to you (and as a fact rather than an opinion) that many of the drivers who religiously observe the stated speed limit at all times are incapable of judging safe speeds on their own, and thus far more dangerous to themselves and others.

Are you contesting the fact that plenty of stretch of A-roads in this country have an inappropriately high speed limit of 50 mph? Because they undoubtedly do. So it”s certainly not at all about all limits are too low and we want to go faster, as I said before.

Also: this is the best argument I've heard for gps speed limiters.

I’m sorry, I don’t see it. I’m not sure what’s so critical to you about the difference between 20 and your unofficial 25mph. The benefits to reducing casualties in collisions are convincing for 20. I drive every day. I enjoy it - except on country roads, which I do agree with you about. I’m not scared or easily confused. I just accept that there has to be some give and take because we want to keep driving heavy lumps of metal around areas of high density population for our own convenience.

I ride on the pavement and jump red lights to an appropriate degree in the right circumstances.
I have no problem with it on principle, and if you were bored enough to want to check my past posts on the subject, you would see that I have said as much plenty of times. It is perfectly safe for a cyclist to jump a red light pedestrian crossing on a deserted street at night. Just as it can be going a bit over the stated limit in certain circumstances.

Most country roads have a default limit of 60mph.

It's something to do with local authority juristictions IIRC. If a road is not adopted by a specific town or parish or whatever then its 60mph by default. There are many single-lane, glorified donkey tracks round here with 60 limits. Most people get that you can't actually drive that fast on them but you do still get grim accidents involving utter gurnips in range rovers who assume everything works like a bypass in Swindon.

It's something to do with local authority juristictions IIRC. If a road is not adopted by a specific town or parish or whatever then its 60mph by default. There are many single-lane, glorified donkey tracks round here with 60 limits. Most people get that you can't actually drive that fast on them but you do still get grim accidents involving utter gurnips in range rovers who assume everything works like a bypass in Swindon.

Dorset seems to have made most of them 50, which is still faster than you would wish to go, but by doing so they have introduced loads of 50 signs on thick metal poles that will kill you should you hit one. The same county that told my dad on a speed awareness course that motorways are the safest roads in terms on deaths per mile, which is great, how many miles of motorway are there in Dorset?

Not really. All single-carriageway roads are 60mph by default unless they have lampposts a certain distance apart in which case they're 30 by default. Any other speed limit must have been imposed on a specified length of road by a relevant highway authority.

Back
Top Bottom