Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Elden ring

I did not know this , but it took a while for dark souks to 'click' but when it did , that was it...
It was great. When hardly anybody knew what was going on. The first part was such a struggle and then you could hear when people had beat it and got through. It gave you hope :D

Okay, so I got it - not got very far yet though. As someone that has never really played a Souls game before, the main thing that's annoying me is how the game signposts you towards things you can't possibly deal with before you level up yourself and your gear; even before you leave the tutorial area there's a dungeon that is too hard to do, then there's a world boss of some sort right outside the door who one-shots you, and the "go this way" sparkly path eventually leads you to an impossible boss fight.

Would it be so hard to at least indicate somewhere that you're under-levelled for a particular fight or area?

Volcano Manor, much much bigger than you think it...
I got there today (by getting stuffed into a weird priest thing with spiked wheels at the bottom of the academy). Couldn't teleport until I found a fire. Path there is full of bats, slugs and a weird thing that kills you in one hit. Been killed by all of them apart from the slugs. Tried to do the priest thing again. Got stuffed into his body again. Did it all again.

Repeated that three times. Once I didn't even move before he grabbed me and transported me again.

Gave up. :D

Okay, so I got it - not got very far yet though. As someone that has never really played a Souls game before, the main thing that's annoying me is how the game signposts you towards things you can't possibly deal with before you level up yourself and your gear; even before you leave the tutorial area there's a dungeon that is too hard to do, then there's a world boss of some sort right outside the door who one-shots you, and the "go this way" sparkly path eventually leads you to an impossible boss fight.

Would it be so hard to at least indicate somewhere that you're under-levelled for a particular fight or area?
Basically assume that pretty much everything will kill you at the start. I mean, assume that at the end too.

What's the dungeon in the tutorial area?

What's the dungeon in the tutorial area?
In the first room you get to after the combat tutorial area, there's a statue you can open with a key, which unlocks access to a dungeon - it's a long downward slope with a massive wooden grinder rolling up and down it very fast. I didn't reach the bottom to see what was actually down there, but apparently it's called Fringefolk Hero's Grave.

In the first room you get to after the combat tutorial area, there's a statue you can open with a key, which unlocks access to a dungeon - it's a long downward slope with a massive wooden grinder rolling up and down it very fast. I didn't reach the bottom to see what was actually down there, but apparently it's called Fringefolk Hero's Grave.
oh right. Yeah, I haven't opened that door yet. I wouldn't go in there at level 1 :D

Part of the game is working out which things you should just run away from. For example, in Dark Souls, there were lots of things you could go and do at the start, but most of them would get you killed pretty quickly. You tried them, and eventually you found the thing that you could advance in. I think this is especially true in this, you can go anywhere pretty much as soon as you get the horse. I spent a few hours at the start just careering from crisis to crisis in the red bit. But I was thinking today how good it is at making things manageable but still challenging - whatever level you are. Like now if I go back to the first bit then it's easy, but I can go to much harder bits and still feel like I have a chance if I was just a bit better.

Part of the game is working out which things you should just run away from. For example, in Dark Souls, there were lots of things you could go and do at the start, but most of them would get you killed pretty quickly. You tried them, and eventually you found the thing that you could advance in. I think this is especially true in this, you can go anywhere pretty much as soon as you get the horse. I spent a few hours at the start just careering from crisis to crisis in the red bit. But I was thinking today how good it is at making things manageable but still challenging - whatever level you are. Like now if I go back to the first bit then it's easy, but I can go to much harder bits and still feel like I have a chance if I was just a bit better.
This, completely.

Ha Ha! Victory, I just defeated General Radahan and that was the one I didnt think I'd ever be able to
I didnt hit him once... but used an incredibly useful incantation....

Last edited:
I just beat Rennala and discovered the Atlus plain. I usually volunteer as a summons when I find a new boss and use that to see what they're like, without any danger of losing souls etc. but I'm finding that even with 3 people we often lose. But.. if it's just me and my trusty Skeleton infantry friends then we win. Did that lion thing in the academy and Rennala first time that way. Haven't used any actual player summons at all on any of the bosses. Seems easier maybe?

Has anyone upgraded their armour much? I have changed and upgraded weapons quite a lot and can hit like a truck. But think I might be hitting a wall as I am still using the stating armour (well I changed the hat). The thing is whenever I get a piece of armour weight is an issue and of I look at the stats one bunch of numbers go up and another go down so I can't really judge what is better anyway.

I accidentally discovered a way to cheese pretty much all of the early bosses. Turns Godrick into just running away from him till he dies. Don't click the spoiler if you hate strong cheese.

Scarlet Rot Spirit Summon

I accidentally discovered a way to cheese pretty much all of the early bosses. Turns Godrick into just running away from him till he dies. Don't click the spoiler if you hate strong cheese.

That was pretty much my approach anyway, only I let the NPC do all the work.

Didnt know about that but...

Swapping a dragon heart for the rotten breath incantation does the same thing, and how I took down the general, but had to respec a couple of points into FTH and ARC

Has anyone upgraded their armour much? I have changed and upgraded weapons quite a lot and can hit like a truck. But think I might be hitting a wall as I am still using the stating armour (well I changed the hat). The thing is whenever I get a piece of armour weight is an issue and of I look at the stats one bunch of numbers go up and another go down so I can't really judge what is better anyway.
No just weapons, but I'm a sorcerer this playthrough, I think your poise stat is quite important though.

Am not reading 😁

I just wear whatever looks best. Currently going for a Grim Reaper kind of look - just found a skeleton mask and some black armour, and I already had a scythe, so looking pretty rock.

The only time I change is if I'm in, for example, the academy and I know there are going to be loads of magic attacks. Then I might pick whatever gives best protection against that.

I tried this last week but the pc controls were terrible, worth getting a game pad for?

I've heard it isn't a great port....

I tried this last week but the pc controls were terrible, worth getting a game pad for?

I've heard it isn't a great port....
Its fine , a lil bit clanky, but still great and yeah get a controller, I've got a wired Xbox clone controller that i think cost about £20 from argos , it does a fine job.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom