Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Eight Track studio tape to digital conversion

HeAthen

Nadgers.
Many years ago in the depths of time (ok, 1990) I was in a band in Hull called Nowhere City which mainly consisted of getting completely wrecked, pissing the taxi office off that was downstairs from our practice rooms (the drummers flat/hovel) and making a fucking racket. We somehow managed to cobble together cash to record a demo which ended up selling probably around 3 copies. Over the years, those of us that are still around and not in psychiatric institutions (I kid you not) have lost the cassettes of those demos. I however have the studio tapes which I've often thought about getting transferred to digital so we can relive, and possibly remember, those days.

Does anyone know of any reasonable services that might be able to transfer the tape to digital? I've no idea on how many tracks it's recorded over if single tracks or whether these are after mastering but if the former I can have a go at mixing it. Can't sound much worse that it did back then.

Somewhere like this perhaps?

I doubt it’s gonna be particularly cheap tbh as analogue tape machines are pricy to maintain etc, but the world clearly deserves to hear Nowhere City’s fucking racket
😎

Oops sorry you’re talking about these aren’t ya: 8 Track Cartridge to Digital – Mr Scan Ltd - Film Scanning Services - UK

Last edited:
it definitely wouldn't be 8 track cartridge if it was something recorded... but we would need to know what format: half inch or 2 inch reel to reel? (in which case it is probably multi track and you could get stems)... 1/4 inch reel to reel? (could be multi track or a mastered stereo mix)... actual cassette? If its reel to reel and hasn't been kept correctly it could be ruined anyway.... in any case need location as it's not the kind of thing you want to post (or carry through anything magnetic like e.g. train barriers). it will probably be costly.

Back
Top Bottom