Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

EDL watch

Out of interest , how would you tackle someone criticising immigrants for not speaking English?
I would point out that of all people, the English, are more inclined to go abroad and not speak someone's lingo than anyone. It goes round in circles. The key thing should be about making people want to be part of society, rather than within a niche of it, without forcing this option upon them.

The class stuff is more to do with you and your approach frankly.We know very well - those of us who've been here a while - how you view the wider working class. How you view people who wear branded sportswear and so on.

The only comments about branded sportswear I recall were with regard to a union leader wearing, in official capacity, sportswear famously known to often be made under such conditions that no union leader who knew the basics would want to be seen associated with. I got flamed of course, because too many people would rather imagine class prejudice where it doesn't exist than rank hypocricy where it does (other than that incident I happen to have a lot of time for Bob Crowe).

That there is a looking class world, in the minds of some self appointed arbeitters of left politics, where criticising double standards around the conditions of exploited working class people is, in fact, deeply anti working class. I read somewhere that freedom is slavery as well.

Besides, I know plenty of middle class people who wear branded sportswear. What makes you think only working class people do or that I think that? I don't know who "we" is, or if you have done a survey. Being interagotive and sarcastic is part of your MO which is fair enough and often thought provoking. I didn't think exageration or even possible fabrication were. Still, it is the internet I guess. As I have already alluded to, it's not in my interests to deride the working class given that I need to sell my labour and have nothing to gain from the ongoing system of class exploitation. I have lived most of my life in very working class areas. Mind you, that's detail innit. Wouldn't want to get in the way of any impression of someone you don't know that pops into your noggin.

There is nothing funny about this. If anyone says it is funny they will only make neutral people more likely to become racist. Or something.

English Defence League - London Region

So many have said the EDL is a dying matter, done and dusted, over and out. Well I for one am going to say BOLLOCKS you blind uneducated mugs, because the EDL are only just beginning. Well under 3 years old were still one of the youngest most inexperienced street armys to be recognized world wide, and all the problems that have occured and still will occur are part of any successful organisation and pave the way to a bigger and stronger which in our case is an EDL than ever before. A good ultrapreneur if your organisation is a profitable one, will be the difference between £1000s and £1000000s and a good Teacher is the difference between good grades and none, It really is that simple and the best thing is that as all the people that jump ship during difficult times do nothing but generate the respected individuals still in support into a more hands on operational position, In which eventually turns into a genuine and trustworthy team which will achieve so much more than their predecessors did because for them the only way is forward and previous mistakes are easily avoided. The year 2012 has started absolutely superb, and is going to be the year that people start to realise that the EDL are not going anywhere and more importantly are growing stronger than ever by laying more roots and generating their own public media by way of their own actions in many more areas will directly put us THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE in to a new era and chapter of what is and going to be around FOREVER. (5)

Nice point. If, as you are claiming, there are legitimate reasons why someone has poor spelling/grammar surely criticism of it in the specific scenario I'm talking about is a good way for them to realise that it's not going to be such a simple thing for an immigrant to just 'learn the language' as they can see why they may have failed to achieve a decent standard with their own English.

Out of interest , how would you tackle someone criticising immigrants for not speaking English?

It's about looking at it with a class analysis. The reasons why some people turn to racism/fascism and the reasons for poor education are often linked, it is about class, and how it divides.

It's about looking at it with a class analysis. The reasons why some people turn to racism/fascism and the reasons for poor education are often linked, it is about class, and how it divides.

You have a point, but if you criticise the racist for his language and he thinks it's because he's poor and didn't get a decent education then when he criticises an immigrant for not speaking English is it possible he could draw a parallel between the 2 ? I'm loathe to say that racists are stupid because I don't think they are, they may be poorly educated due to class etc but I don't think poorly educated means stupidity. I do agree with a lot of what has been said about just picking on the poor EDL grammar and punctuation because it serves no purpose and probably does more harm than good but I'm talking about specific incidents where a racist uses immigrants not speaking english when they have a poor grasp of english themselves, even then ultimately I don't think it's a viable tactic because unless the racist thinks about why he has a poor grasp of grammar and why an immigrant may not be able to speak english and see a correlation between the 2 then it will just alienate him and make his position more entrenched.

Termite Man - I get that, but to add to the blatant double standard of often very poor use of English in contrast with moaning about the English standards of migrants, I would add general, and often absurdly overblown claims of English patriotism. If I was proud of my country I would make a very good effort to improve on the use of the language, especially as the English language has the largest vocabulary in the world and could thus be argued to be the most versatile. That a main difference between me and many of my detractors here I think. Yet they have not spoken to that point once to my knowledge.

Again: It is ironic. Irony is a founding block of humour. The EDL are absurd. That too is funny. It needn't be about spelling, syntax etc.

I won't link, but there is a thread on their own forum where they are blathering about building their petition to ban the UAF. On it the claim is again made, as it often is that David Cameron "sponsors" the UAF. How anyone can not find that kind of claim funny escapes me.

Christ that list is so old it still has Luciana Burger as NUS, and some of those unions don't even exist any more!!!

Current EDL FB status. I don't think I've ever seen one like this on there before.

where is that one? this is they one why have up now, not sure why they would post this? anyone? lol

The law
WARNING- Any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the British Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or comments... made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile. You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee(s), agent(s), student(s) or any personnel under your direction or control. The contents of this profile are private and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law.

It is recommended that other members post a similar notice to this or you may copy and paste this one. Thank you............

There is nothing funny about this. If anyone says it is funny they will only make neutral people more likely to become racist. Or something.

English Defence League - London Region

So many have said the EDL is a dying matter, done and dusted, over and out. Well I for one am going to say BOLLOCKS you blind uneducated mugs, because the EDL are only just beginning. Well under 3 years old were still one of the youngest most inexperienced street armys to be recognized world wide, and all the problems that have occured and still will occur are part of any successful organisation and pave the way to a bigger and stronger which in our case is an EDL than ever before. A good ultrapreneur if your organisation is a profitable one, will be the difference between £1000s and £1000000s and a good Teacher is the difference between good grades and none, It really is that simple and the best thing is that as all the people that jump ship during difficult times do nothing but generate the respected individuals still in support into a more hands on operational position, In which eventually turns into a genuine and trustworthy team which will achieve so much more than their predecessors did because for them the only way is forward and previous mistakes are easily avoided. The year 2012 has started absolutely superb, and is going to be the year that people start to realise that the EDL are not going anywhere and more importantly are growing stronger than ever by laying more roots and generating their own public media by way of their own actions in many more areas will directly put us THE ENGLISH DEFENCE LEAGUE in to a new era and chapter of what is and going to be around FOREVER. (5)

they are seriously delusional if they think 2012 has started off well! barking, whitechapel, arrests, splits, dewsbury, stoke etc - if thats a good start whats a crap one? and what the dickens is an 'ultrappraneur?'

they are seriously delusional if they think 2012 has started off well! barking, whitechapel, arrests, splits, dewsbury, stoke etc - if thats a good start whats a crap one? and what the dickens is an 'ultrappraneur?'
You forgot the 10 people who turned up to the US Embassy yesterday to demand the right of US soldiers to 'urinate on Muslims'.

And even then they still managed to get one person arrested.

john x

Awesome turn out for the demo on Friday... needs more dragons and shit.

408790_307863472598666_145019135549768_975066_967794932_n.jpg

Curiously the banner says they are "anti islamic" despite the protests of many an EDLer, including Saint Tommy, that they are only against "militant islam".

And it talks about sending it back to the dark ages. Hang on, what's the prime piece of imagery towards the left? Why, 'tis a medieval knight. What a relief there's nothing funny about being so glaringly fuckwitted.

Not to speak of the heraldry and latin motto of their own logo. The motto is Constantine's - a man who did more to discredit the true nature of Christianity than many. Not that many of them would know that. It is thought more likely they got it off playing Assassins Creed.

Oops. a bit of reference to history. Apologies to self elected inquisitors who may decide that the working class are too ignorant to be anything but alienated. I've probably just created 10 more racists out of thin air.

I don't see why not speaking the language of the country you emigrate too is an issue. I live in China and my Chinese is terrible, but do they get upset? No. They realise that I am peaceful and am prepared to work hard as a temporary part of their society. The system is clear enough for me to function without the language though it is easier if I learn at least a few characters. I spend money in their economy and there should be no problem with this in any country. If they don't want me to be here then they are free to ask me to leave.

I think the EDL is a simplistic reaction to the powerlessness they feel and the disconnect too of 'their' culture in relation to other cultures they identify around them. This 'Us & Them' paradigm is well-documented, and we are in fact all the same, but it is easy to fall into such simplistic separations. Easy answers in contrast to a complicated world.

Back
Top Bottom