Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ed Sheeran v Marvin Gaye

That sounds very tenuous to me. If people start suing for chord structure it'll be nuts.

Hasn't Ed Sheeran only just been through another similar court case? I don't like his music but he doesn't strike me as a ripoff merchant.

Yes he's ripped off Let's Get it On but that's pop music, behind every hit is some rip off. How is anyone surprised?

C / Em / F / G ... It's not exactly rocket science lol. It's more in the strum pattern tbh but it's not exactly the first pop song that resembles another pop song :D

Sorry Spymaster the quote messed up

From that article it sounds like Sheeran sometimes puts lyrics from Let's Get It On into this song live. Seen plenty of people do that as a nod to their influences. Gayes side are describing that as a 'smoking gun'. Not really a big deal imo.

This goes back a while... Here's Adam Neely's breakdown on the music side (4 years ago):

And on the law more generally when Legal Eagle and Neely got together to cover Katie Perry/Flame:

From that article it sounds like Sheeran sometimes puts lyrics from Let's Get It On into this song live. Seen plenty of people do that as a nod to their influences. Gayes side are describing that as a 'smoking gun'. Not really a big deal imo.
You can swap back and forth between Teenager in Love (Dion and the Belmonts), Stir it Up (Bob Marley), and Oliver’s Army (Elvis Costello), just as an example, because they all go C/Am/F/G. None of them are rip offs of the other.

OK, so I’ve listened more to the chord structures. Both Ed and Marvin have used the most common pop song structure for the A section (if you’re in C major it’s C/Am/F/G7). As already noted, literally millions of songs do that. In other sections Let’s Get it On does the common variation of C/Em/F/G7. Both songs do that. Again, this is not remarkable. Literally millions of songs do that.

If the argument is that using the substitution of Am with Em is what’s unique, then that’s bollocks. Millions of songs do that.

They both have a slow soul groove. You can’t copyright a slow soul groove.

I have now heard more Ed Sheeran than I ever anticipated I would. As a result I hate Marvin Gaye’s family. But I’ve tried to be fair.

In my view, this case has no merit at all.

Back
Top Bottom