Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
supercity said:
Cor, this discussion's getting intriguingly technical.

I've got a more basic question: why is it that the trains from Brixton overground terminate at Victoria? I've always thought that if Waterloo-bound trains made a stop at Brixton, more people would use the overground. Never understood why it replicates the underground route. Be handy for the West End, too.

Until Eurostar built a connection just after Wandsworth Road station, as far as I know there was no physical connection between Brixton and Waterloo.

Even if it did go to Waterloo, I doubt many would use it. It only has trains every 30 mins and it's a bit of a badlands area, even in the day.

Most people would still use the tube.

Googling for viaduct FACTS revealed that the "lost" page on the ultra-spoddish www.signalbox.org for the mysterious Loughborough Junction signal box is back on line :)

loughboroughjcn.jpg

Time for another then and now photo, ed?

Oy! I'm already on the case of that oddball signal box and have (more or less) worked out where it was. Spot the vintage NF graffiti on the building next to it?

editor said:
I've just added a new page about the now-vanished East Brixton station with lots of archive and modern pics.

Shame it looks like it's never going to reopen.

Also, although not Brixton, this is quite cool in Clapham.

There are a few deep shelters built during the war in case of bombing, to house govt officials and papers etc.

The entrances are still there at the tube stations.

One was used as a temporary accomodation for loads of Jamaicans once.

http://freespace.virgin.net/roy.smith5/deepshelters.htm

The deep level stations beneath the Northern Line were commissioned by home secretary Herbert Morrison during the war, for use as shelters. They follow the path of the Northern line, from Clapham up to Belsize Park, with shelters still visible at most points. The idea was to link them into a high-speed tube line after the war, like the RER in Paris. Needless to say, this being Britain, it never happened, and most of the shelters are now leased to a company called Security Archives, which keeps tapes for the BBC and government papers down there. The one at Tottenham Court Road is rumoured still to have wartime bunk-beds in place. Stockwell deep tube was used to house immigrants in the 50s, but is now leased by Security Archives. Conspiracy theorists will tell you that the line was actually at least partly built but the government decided it was too good for the people.

I'll get me coat....

Oh, and if Brixton overground trains can't get to Waterloo, why not Charing Cross?

editor said:
I thought Stockport's viaduct was the largest brick viaduct in Europe:
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content.../buildingsandstructures/railwayviaduct?a=5441
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ewm/ic7/49text.html

Facts!

At 111 feet or 33.85 metres high, Stockport's railway viaduct is Western Europe's biggest brick structure and represents a major feat of Victorian engineering.
It can't compete with the Stockport Viaduct, but I was always impressed by the Dollis Brook Viaduct between Finchley Central & Mill Hill East - at 60ft the highest point above street level on the tube network - it serves one station.

4_DollisBrookViaduct3.jpg

[disclaimer] My viaduct at Loughborough Junction facts were all gleaned from a local historian who has furnished me with many a railway fact. [/disclaimer]

I imagine those stations would be pretty horrible at night if they were around now-no shops or main roads particularly close

just to clarify:

phase 2 of the ELL extension will include brixton but it will cost a lot and thats why its been put back?

or is it a DEFINITE no?

also
where about in clapham will it be?
it says clapham high street

that could be anywhere between clapham north and clapham common right?

Red Faction said:
phase 2 of the ELL extension will include brixton but it will cost a lot and thats why its been put back?

Brixton isn't on the Phase 2 map at all.

Red Faction said:
that could be anywhere between clapham north and clapham common right?

No, it's the existing Clapham High Street station, right by Clapham North,

TFL map (220k PDF)

The TFL map shows what looks a lot like a Victoria exension to Herne Hill, though it's ambiguous...

Streetmap

Bits of clearing being done down at New Cross and New Cross Gate. Installation of some substations or other equipment. I guess it's just reinstatement, really...

Gramsci said:
I can see the logice of putting Brixtion/LJJ station in the ELL.I wonder however if those who are keen on it realise it will make Brixton/LJJ more "desirable" for developers as certainly the land values/house prices will go up around where there are stations.

This could lead to further gentrification of the area rather than more "social inclusion".

This is true of any improvement in transport infrastructure. The logical extension of the argument is to campaign for the closure of the Victoria Line.

i wouldnt hold your breath on any of this..

my parents moved to sutton in the 70s when there was plans for the tube extending out there.. there still waiting! (no bad thing tho!)

TFL and LT etc before them have been banging on about the ELL and Tram extension for years.

i think the ELL will happen.

however, seeing whats happening in leeds with their much delayed tram project, i think that form of transit sadly is under a lot of pressure.

Leeds just isnt happening, despite huge amounts of prep work and long periods of roadworks, compulsory purchases and the like. baffling.

dark mutterings of the financial viablity of croydon/manchester/sheffield..

lets hope ken see past all that..

Dan U said:
<rapid transit/tram systems>

lets hope ken see past all that..

The glossy stuff I have about the Elephant redevelopment (which I'll post more about soon, honest :oops: ) very definitely predicts the North South tram link will happen ...

William of Walworth said:
The glossy stuff I have about the Elephant redevelopment (which I'll post more about soon, honest :oops: ) very defisnitely predicts the North South tram link will happen ...

well thats good news for sure. the more public transport the better.

i had read this yesterday

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1604971,00.html

through a previous job a couple of years ago i was aware of the tram scheme in leeds and saw for myself all the prep works that were going on (roadworks etc)... and now all bets could be off and worse the National Audit Office calling the other tram networks 'a triumph of hope over experience'

its also my experience in london that lots of ideas are mooted and take a long time to come to fruition. the ELL has been on the cards in various guises for donkeys years.

I have been writing to the East London Line Project about why it does not stop at either Brixton or Loughborough Junction despite going through both stations (as far as I could work out - the stops either side are Denmark Hill and Clapham High Street). They have replied it is not financially feasible and while it does not actually go through Loughborough Jn it goes v.close. They have also suggested we have good enough public transport in Brixton.

I know there was a petition about htis some time ago but has there been any organised info digging with a view to a proper protest. They appear to concede that the train actually has to go through Brixton BR station but are slightly more shy about conceding that the reason it does not stop here is be cause it is a "gentry class" train linking Highbury and Islington with Clapham.

My next step is to send a Freedom of Info Act request about the feasibility study and or finaces of the ELLP and then approach MPs, etc, or possibly even consider JR-ing them if it is totally outrageous. I would prefer not to do all this myself and so am looking for anyone else who has doen, is doing, or will do something. Apart from anything don't Brxtonites deserve every opportunity to leave Brixton that can be afforded them?

upthejunction said:
I know there was a petition about htis some time ago but has there been any organised info digging with a view to a proper protest. They appear to concede that the train actually has to go through Brixton BR station but are slightly more shy about conceding that the reason it does not stop here is be cause it is a "gentry class" train linking Highbury and Islington with Clapham.

so youre saying it doesnt stop at Brixton because some rifraf might board?? or am i misunderstanding?

Irony

Callie said:
so youre saying it doesnt stop at Brixton because some rifraf might board?? or am i misunderstanding?

I have suggested this to them, though obviously I do not believe it of a body dedicated to serving the population of london. However, if you look at the route there seems to be a very large gap in the Lambeth/Brixton area which appears to be have a much longer disctance between stations than elsewhere on the line.

When I was working in Brixton it was really annoying having to get buses from Lewisham to Brixton, if it did stop it would make it a lot easier to get around South London.

I definitely want it to go to Brixton. Even Loughborough Junction or around there would be OK. I want to be able to have a tube journey straight to Brixton :)

jimmer said:
When I was working in Brixton it was really annoying having to get buses from Lewisham to Brixton, if it did stop it would make it a lot easier to get around South London.

that's true. it's easier to get to central london than to south east london.

It's cos the Clapham line is the high-level one, which is not serviced by the current station) and it would therefore require an all-new station built way up in the air over existing shops and streets. In engineer's and planner's terms - a fucking nightmare :(

Back
Top Bottom