Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
PacificOcean said:
Tecnichally Clapham Junction is already connected to the tube. At East Putney the District Line branches off and connects to the bit between Putney and Clapham Junction on the South West Trains Line.
The Mayor promised to put Clapham Junction on the tube map a few years ago: he said he'd get them to redraw all the tube maps so that a little dotted line went from Victoria to Clapham Junction. :D

(Not a bad idea IMHO, seeing as many people (esp tourists) don't realise that trains run from Victoria to Clapham Junction at pretty much the same frequency as most tube lines run trains - every 5 mins or so)

Lang, since these rail annoucements I can't get the mayor's office to confirm that the tram for Brixton will still come. They evade the question. Can you or others try?

hatboy said:
Lang, since these rail annoucements I can't get the mayor's office to confirm that the tram for Brixton will still come. They evade the question. Can you or others try?

AFAIK No public change of stance (i.e. it is still usually described as a tram, not just as transit, which could be a segregated bus route), just no guarantee of money.

Think that the likely timetable for Government to announce the rest of the transport plans following Gordon Brown's spending review is some time in November.

IMHO Priorities for the various tram/transit/tube/rail proposals are likely to favour docklands/east London if the Olympic bid is successful.

From minutes of Mayor's Question Time - 15 July 2004

For your information...

East London Line
Question No: 858 / 2004
Valerie Shawcross

What progress has the LDA made in looking at the potential for a regeneration study on the impact of creating stops on the East London Line for Loughborough Junction and Brixton?

The LDA is currently working closely with TfL, and Lambeth and Southwark Councils to provide intelligence on the impact of the East London Line Extension. One study is seeking to establish the development potential around existing and proposed stations on the extension, and it has been specifically requested to look at the Brixton/Loughborough area. A second study is being led by the LDA and is assessing the economic impact of the extension, with a view to specifically identifying and demonstrating the benefits of the proposals. Again the consultants have specifically been asked to look at Loughborough/ Brixton area, both with and without a station.
These studies will report in the near future and it is the LDA’s intention, given Valerie Shawcross’s interest, to meet with her when the results are known. Aside from this, provision has been made within the London South Central area programme to provide a small amount of resources for Loughborough Junction specific research if it is proved necessary.

Brixton Hatter said:
The Mayor promised to put Clapham Junction on the tube map a few years ago: he said he'd get them to redraw all the tube maps so that a little dotted line went from Victoria to Clapham Junction. :D

(Not a bad idea IMHO, seeing as many people (esp tourists) don't realise that trains run from Victoria to Clapham Junction at pretty much the same frequency as most tube lines run trains - every 5 mins or so)

What's in Clapham Junction that draws the tourists?

citydreams said:
Which part of Transport for London will be looking at this?

It won't be - LDA = London Development Agency, another part of the Mayor's family of bodies. As I posted ages ago, I don't see any station being built unless there is a large scale redevelopment next door.

Bring back East Brixton station!

east_brixton4.jpg

lang rabbie said:
It won't be - LDA = London Development Agency, another part of the Mayor's family of bodies. As I posted ages ago, I don't see any station being built unless there is a large scale redevelopment next door.

How large scale do you mean? Is this (http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81622) the kind of thing (102 flat block built on the site of the industrial buildings on Belinda Road), or do you mean something like a shopping/office centre being built on the Higgs Industrial Estate?

prunus said:
How large scale do you mean? Is this (http://www.urban75.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81622) the kind of thing (102 flat block built on the site of the industrial buildings on Belinda Road), or do you mean something like a shopping/office centre being built on the Higgs Industrial Estate?

Pass

Current health and safety, Disability Discrimination Act and other requirements for new railway infrastructure mean that new platforms at LJ will require widening the high level viaduct. Cost figures I've heard bandied about were £15+ million (as against £50 million for Brixton).

BTW I've never seen anything on paper to support these.

I suppose they'd need to calculate some implicit value for the social benefits from the new station (e.g. easier access to jobs market for local residents) that would justify some extra public sector contribution, with the balance being expected to come from the development deal.

Edited to add: Just phoned my railway industry source, who mentioned that only this week the Strategic Rail Authority published a "Comprehensive guide to planning new railway stations"

Doesn't sound too encouraging...

SRA press release said:
The document explains that introducing new stations is a complex process that requires detailed assessment and appraisal. This work needs to consider a wide range of issues including the commercial / economic, operational and technical impacts of the proposal. It also makes clear that with limited funding available to the rail industry, the financing of proposed station developments - both in terms of capital costs and ongoing revenue support - should be considered from the outset.

lang rabbie said:
For your information...

The consultants for the LDA are I notice going to do a study looking at LJ and Brixton both with and without a ELL station.Is this similar to the LDA ideas behind making certain areas "Cultural quarters" I wonder?I thought the LDA were already funding a worker looking at regeneration in Brixton and LJ.

I can see the logice of putting Brixtion/LJJ station in the ELL.I wonder however if those who are keen on it realise it will make Brixton/LJJ more "desirable" for developers as certainly the land values/house prices will go up around where there are stations.

This could lead to further gentrification of the area rather than more "social inclusion".I wonder if the LDA or TfL consultants are going to look at how this possible problem could be dealt with.

Im going to the Coldharbour forum tonight for once-though i expect it will cover mainly this issue.

v interesting, ed - i always wondered why trains to peckham go through brixton but don't stop. it'd be damn convenient if it was re-instated!

there's a fishtank, but no snakes or mirrors. a few plastic chairs like a school hall when i last went there.

milesy said:
there's a fishtank, but no snakes or mirrors. a few plastic chairs like a school hall when i last went there.

I had a good night in there a few years back. Lots of pine on the walls... :)

Is it still open?

Back
Top Bottom