Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
Mrs Magpie said:
I think so, God, but the sign irritates me so much..I want to scrub out the extra s

Does it actually have any sign that it's trying to be the Greek Medusa?

And come to think of it the Greek Medusa would be written in Greek script so maybe there's more than one way of transliterating it. :p

<ducks before he gets a slap>

It's definitely meant to be Medusa, but the signwriter did Medussa. I know a couple of people who have worked there, including a guy who did a lot of the woodwork.

Is it still open? I haven't seen anything advertised there for ages, and I know that they had an ongoing battle with the council over licencing and noise issues.

I always got the impression that they didn't quite have all the proper legalities in place to be a public nightclub, and were trying to get around the rules by claiming that events were "private parties" etc.

Giles..

This morning, I saw a sign on a bus stop on Brixton Hill saying summthin abotu a garage night at medusa this weekend.

reNnIe said:
This morning, I saw a sign on a bus stop on Brixton Hill saying summthin abotu a garage night at medusa this weekend.

They'll probably have some new bulletholes to fix next week then

Donna Ferentes said:
I must go through there twice a day.

Wooden platforms, blimey.

They've still got wooden platforms at Queenstown Road & Battersea Park stations (though I'm not sure if they are still in use). I think they date from the same era as East Brixton.

Interesting pictures & article, editor.

It's a shame it's not re-opened, as it would be a useful link & would take pressure off the buses & Victoria Line - although maybe the site has changed, structurally, too much.

Note the signals in the before and after shots have gone from 3 aspect to 4 aspect - ie greater capacity reinstalled when the route was resignalled in 1984. Technical detail I know.

I think it closed due to collapsing traffic levels and the cost of repair to the platforms etc - remember in 1975 - BR was on a tight budget and the priorities given to the Southern Region were to spend virtually nothing on inner suburban areas as overall traffic was falling and what little growth (then) was in the outer stretches.Come the evil day when the bridge examiner said it needed expenditure - then the case was made for closure.To be fair - the attractiveness of a 30 min service in an urban area was pretty low - I wold not think there is any hope of it repeoning due to cost and the huge pressure on the routes through Brixton into Victoria.

The whole timetable incidentally is "fixed" on the junctions near Canterbury Road - (as well as Herne Hill) and such is the pressure - even a 20 second saving on the "Atlantic and South London lines" - would be very welcome.

editor said:
I've just added a new page about the now-vanished East Brixton station with lots of archive and modern pics.

Shame it looks like it's never going to reopen.
Very interesting :)
So as there's a Camberwell Station Road presumably there was a Camberwell Station once upon a time - would it have been on the same line as East Brixton?

You have made me get my Southern Region Track Plan book out now !

Camberwell Station was at Milepost 3.06 (from Blackfriars) - the Elephant Stn is 1.47m and Loughborough Jct is 3.48.There are 2 viaducts called Station Rd viaduct and Camberwell St viaduct - I think it closed in 1926 when the first colour light resignalling took place into Cannon St / Holborn Viaduct - even then - tram and bus competition slaughtered inner London stations. The railways were trying to be comptetive by quicker journeys into the City. "Southern Electric - fast , frequent trains to all parts"

Lost in the same cull were Blue Anchor (3.31m from Charing Cross) and Spa Road (2.71) - between London Bridge and Deptford via Greenwich.Tram and bus competition on the Old Kent Rd in this case.

East Brixton was on the up and down Catford loop lines between Canterbury Rd Jct and Cambria Jct - Canterbury Rd takes you from Victoria - via Brixton to Blackfriars - whilst Cambria faces west and takes you from Denmark Hill to Blackfriars etc.

A very complicated piece of railway to plan and operate - one that takes years of experience to understand - the interactions are complex with flat junctions all over the place.

davesgcr - if you'd like to write a piece about the history and operational elements around East Brixton, I'd be happy to add it to the article!

editor <impressed with the level of knowledge being displayed!>

Very interesting.

I really hope that once the Eurostars start running into St Pancras, we get a more frequent service on the Victoria to Orpington line. Our part of South London has been neglected in the recent increase in services into and out of Victoria and London Bridge. :mad:

In addition, Camberwell could desperately do with a station on the Blackfriars to Herne Hill line .... might reduce the traffic along Walworth Road as well. Interesting to hear that there used to be one.

aylee said:
Very interesting.

In addition, Camberwell could desperately do with a station on the Blackfriars to Herne Hill line .... might reduce the traffic along Walworth Road as well. Interesting to hear that there used to be one.

It was here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
You can see where it was on the aerial photo - where the track separates and there is now greenery in the middle where the platforms were.

There was also another station between Loughborough Junction and Elephant at Walworth, here:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
- again you can see the space where it was, although it's much harder to see from the train - you can just make out where the stairs were (are?) although they are all blocked up now.

I see them most days!

This adds a whole new dimension to Mornington Crescent: Abandoned stations...

I saw this feature ages ago ed, it's been on the site for a while hasn't it? :confused:

Top stuff anyway, the railways are underappreciated

Good piece, aside from the station shame the stone arch vanished somewhere between 48 and 76.

prunus said:
There was also another station between Loughborough Junction and Elephant at Walworth, here:
- again you can see the space where it was, although it's much harder to see from the train - you can just make out where the stairs were (are?) although they are all blocked up now.

I see them most days!

Must check this out!!! :D :cool:

I'd like to see if there's any external traces just off John Ruskin St. Would be only a minor diversion en route to the Beehive (SE17) from my flat ... :)

Walworth station

William of Walworth said:
Must check this out!!! :D :cool:

I'd like to see if there's any external traces just off John Ruskin St. Would be only a minor diversion en route to the Beehive (SE17) from my flat ... :)

Before the arrival of electric trams it was a very busy station

1876 cartoon

prunus said:
This thread piqued my interest again enough to go googling about, and I found this:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/l/loughborough_junction/index.shtml

- Look at the cool photo of Loughborough Junction in its heyday (first photo on page)! 'To The West End'!, 'To The City'!

Can anyone work out the modern angle equivalent for the photo? It's not clear enough for me. Like the bonnets though.

It's looking up Loughborough Road from Hinton Road on the junction with Coldharbour Lane. Looking at that old photo that little newsagents would be on the right. Don't forget that it's all estates up that road now so the photo looks nothing like what it does now.

PacificOcean said:
It's looking up Loughborough Road from Hinton Road on the junction with Coldharbour Lane. Looking at that old photo that little newsagents would be on the right. Don't forget that it's all estates up that road now so the photo looks nothing like what it does now.

Ah I see, I was assuming it was looking along Coldharbour Lane in some way.

I'll get my shiny new digital camera down there and see if I can't replicate it as best I can.

editor said:
I'm going to be doing a feature on Loughborough Junction next!

Ah, well in that case maybe I'll leave it to you - I don't think my photographic skills can compete.

Looking forward to it.

When the Eurostars come off (April 07) - then there will be something like 4 slots an hour released on the Brixton - Orpington section (much of which is 2 track of course) - plus a lot more flexibilty in timetabling over the junctions at Herne Hill (from Blackfriars and towards Tulse Hill & Streatham)

My best guess is that the first call for extra trains will be on the Thameslink routes which have bad crowding in the peaks - though outer suburban off Kent will also be recast with the inveitable chance for a better service pattern further in .

South London suburban generally is growing fast and there are some cunning plans being worked on now to (a) reduce overcrowding (b) get a better overall plan as there are bits which have less peak services than off peak because of the junction bottlenecks at Herne Hill / Tulse Hill and the Thameslink conundrums.

Trust me - there are some good folk out there using their train planning skills !l

[anorak mode]Part of a housing development on Flaxman Road had to be demolished to make way for the railway viaduct at Loughborough Junction about 4 years after it was built. Also that viaduct is the longest in the world AND the bit where it branches off towards Denmark Hill is the tightest curve on a railway in the UK [/anorak mode]

Mrs Magpie said:
[anorak mode]

:D :D :D Over the last few years I have started to get really interested in this sort of thing. I have got to the stage where I want to take a camera down to Queenstown Road station to record the wooden platform & also the ancient booking hall complete with 50s British Rail signs (the sort of three stretched ovals on top of each other, which was superseded by the parallel lines with zigzags :oops: ). When I pull into a station I look for really old trains in the sidings.

Maybe I misspent my teen years NOT trainspotting!

(My brother's best mate was an inveterate trainspotter & went on to become head archivist at the Railway Museum, always said they should film his life & call it "Smack". <coat got & everything>)

Cor, this discussion's getting intriguingly technical.

I've got a more basic question: why is it that the trains from Brixton overground terminate at Victoria? I've always thought that if Waterloo-bound trains made a stop at Brixton, more people would use the overground. Never understood why it replicates the underground route. Be handy for the West End, too.

Mrs Magpie said:
[anorak mode]Also that viaduct is the longest in the world [/anorak mode]

World :confused:
Possibly the longest brick viaduct in Europe?

According to Wikipedia (no source cited) The London Chatham & Dover Railway's main civil engineering achievements included:
Viaduct carrying extension to Blackfriars: 742 brick arches, 94 girder bridges

BUT I thought the original 1836 London to Greenwich railway (now the track from London Bridge to just beyond Deptford Creek) still held the record for longest single viaduct with 978 arches covering something approaching four miles.

RAgreenwich.jpg

I know the Thameslinks are slow but is it really that far from Blackfriars to LJ. :confused:

[rustles anorak and awaits arrival of Isambard]

lang rabbie said:
I have to admit that I thought the original London to Greenwich railway (now the track from London Bridge to just beyond Deptford Creek) still held the record for longest single viaduct.
I thought Stockport's viaduct was the largest brick viaduct in Europe:
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content.../buildingsandstructures/railwayviaduct?a=5441
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ewm/ic7/49text.html

Facts!

At 111 feet or 33.85 metres high, Stockport's railway viaduct is Western Europe's biggest brick structure and represents a major feat of Victorian engineering.

Eleven million bricks were used in its construction - if laid end to end they would stretch 1,500 miles! At one stage, 600 workers were employed in shifts, day and night, to the complete the massive structure.

editor said:
I thought Stockport's viaduct was the largest brick viaduct in Europe:
http://www.stockport.gov.uk/content.../buildingsandstructures/railwayviaduct?a=5441
http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/ewm/ic7/49text.html

Facts!

At 111 feet or 33.85 metres high, Stockport's railway viaduct is Western Europe's biggest brick structure and represents a major feat of Victorian engineering.

Eleven million bricks were used in its construction - if laid end to end they would stretch 1,500 miles! At one stage, 600 workers were employed in shifts, day and night, to the complete the massive structure.

It really is incredible in the flesh too. It's very high and very long. I was there at the weekend. It's amazing to think they built that in the 19th Century.

Back
Top Bottom