Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
i thought that the real reason the east london line extension isn't going to brixton was so beautiful hackney doesn't get invaded by south londoners.

;)

Originally posted by squidlet
Exactly ! It takes me 45 minutes on the comfort of the top deck of the 45 to get from Loughborough Junction to King's Cross. And if I'm in a rush I can get Thameslink or the tube. North -South is not the problmm. I really think this tram thing is a re herring and waste of time. I haven't seen how it works in Croydon but presumably there must be some pretty massive engineering / power-supply / road widening / remodelling that needs to be done. And unnecessary, certainly northbound. Can that really be more expensive than opening up cross-London rail links by building on existing stations at LJ and Brixton ? Its not exactly massive engineering to build upwards - not like digging a new tube station. Has anyone looked at / critiqued the feasibility studies ? And does anyone know when the next Forum meeting is ?

next Coldharbour/Angell meeting on 14th Jan 7pm at St Matthews Church Lilford Rd. Minutes/Agenda should be on website - Val Shawcross (Lambeth Southwark Assembly Member will be there

I don't know whether there's anything behind it, but I feel some council meetings are selectively minuted, perhaps (I say perhaps) leaving out comments from members of the public whoever is in charge thinks don't fit with the council's agenda.

i asked ken about the trams once a few years ago and he said they were too expensive and the costs of redoing the roads etc was prohibitive. the cryodon one went in at way more expensive than planned and as much as he'd like 'em he didn't see them coming back in a major way...

one question I would raise: what makes peeps think there's a better logical case for putting the ELl extension in SW2 as opposed to(for instance) Lewisham, Camberwell or Dulwich? just curious, that's all

Originally posted by hatboy
I don't know whether there's anything behind it, but I feel some council meetings are selectively minuted, perhaps (I say perhaps) leaving out comments from members of the public whoever is in charge thinks don't fit with the council's agenda.
Wouldn't surprise me one little bit.

Originally posted by calum
i asked ken about the trams once a few years ago and he said they were too expensive and the costs of redoing the roads etc was prohibitive. the cryodon one went in at way more expensive than planned
Maybe so but they've been bloody handy for me. And the trams are always mostly full so obviously popular with Londoners.

Bump.. Just wondering if anything has happened now the money *is* available

Would Lambeth Planning have the proposed path of the ELL?

<Not really my forum, passes Hobnobs and stuff>

The idea to put a station in Brixton with direct trains to SE London has been doing the rounds in the railway trade press for at least 20 years. Anyone anoracky enough might find old stories in the archives of the publisher Ian Allan.

Sorry this story is just TYPICAL Britain when it comes down to public transport! :mad: :rolleyes:

It's not popular ;) but I'll put on my tin foil hat and guess that the costs of a new station in Brisxton have been massively overestimated for a reason!

<wanders back off to sex and diseases forum> :)

http://www.ellp.co.uk/stations.htm

Hoxton seems to be getting a brand new fancy station on top of a viaduct. That must cost a fair few million?

It seems that the ELL is not really there for the benefit of south Londoners. All the expenditure is going to east London. It is just being routed through exisiting south London stations on the cheap.

I don't see the point of the southern extention. It goes around London rather than into it. So for example getting on at Anerley will mean a FOURTEEN stations ride before reaching the first tube interchange miles away in Whitechapel.

i thought for a minute that the lack of east london line in brixton would be a bad thing - it would make it easier for me to get back from offline, the albert &c if the ell were extended that far - but then i realised that the positive side of the coin is south londoners being kept in south london. which can't be a bad thing! :p

PacificOcean said:
I don't see the point of the southern extention. It goes around London rather than into it. So for example getting on at Anerley will mean a FOURTEEN stations ride before reaching the first tube interchange miles away in Whitechapel.
Surely the point is to give a tube station to hitherto unconnected areas of south London? Going across south London is quite difficult at present - try getting a bus from, say, Forest Hill to Putney and it would take you ages. Going IN to London is not a problem from most places in south London as most areas have an overground which gets to victoria/london bridge etc in about 10/15/20 minutes.

citydreams said:
I guess it's handy to get from Anerley to that booming metropolis, Croydon
The planners seem to to want people not to leave Anerley. They could be said to be Anerley retentive.

Brixton Hatter said:
Surely the point is to give a tube station to hitherto unconnected areas of south London? Going across south London is quite difficult at present - try getting a bus from, say, Forest Hill to Putney and it would take you ages. Going IN to London is not a problem from most places in south London as most areas have an overground which gets to victoria/london bridge etc in about 10/15/20 minutes.

But it's not connecting anything new. It's going over the same track as Southern trains, just branching off at New Cross instead. Same tracks, different trains. I just don't see the point, or am I missing something.

PacificOcean said:
But it's not connecting anything new. It's going over the same track as Southern trains, just branching off at New Cross instead. Same tracks, different trains. I just don't see the point, or am I missing something.

Clapham Junction is not on the tube.

Perhaps many well-heeled types living over there need an easier way to get to work in the Docklands without having to interchange in central London?

Errol's son said:
Clapham Junction is not on the tube.

Perhaps many well-heeled types living over there need an easier way to get to work in the Docklands without having to interchange in central London?

Anaork Alert!!!!

Tecnichally Clapham Junction is already connected to the tube. At East Putney the District Line branches off and connects to the bit between Putney and Clapham Junction on the South West Trains Line.

Does anyone know how integrated the northern line will be at Clapham North when the ELL arrives at Claphma High Street?

I don't really call that integrated at the moment - between the tube and train - as you have to exit a station, walk a bit, cross a main road, walk a bit more and then enter a new station with a different name. I wouldn't fancy that interchange if I was in a wheelchair, I don't think.

You know, it this worked out you could go Brixton - Clapham Junc, Clapham Junc-Willesden Junc, Willesden Junc- Highbury and Islington, making the Victoria Line superfluous!

But the main point is, most European large cities have very good radial routes but shite tangental ones.

PacificOcean said:
Anaork Alert!!!!

Tecnichally Clapham Junction is already connected to the tube. At East Putney the District Line branches off and connects to the bit between Putney and Clapham Junction on the South West Trains Line.

The Clapham Junction - High & I is Phase II of the plan... so there must be a need from some new line, otherwise the Clah'm Rangers would have their Dockland Express by now.

Wonder why they ever closed the spurs of the ELL that ran down to OLD Kent Road and Peckham? (you can still see the remains of the track bed as you head south past Surrey Quays.) I love the ELL. It has a fascinating history, having been used for freight, various steam excursons to Brighten in the old days, and now the tube. Not to mention the famous tunnel under the Thames. The trains just trundle sedately along and there is a very friendly driver with a Jamaican accent who intones "relax and enjoy the journey." Right friendly guy. It's more of a toy train than a tube, IMO.

A real shame they closed East Brixton. I have a great book on the South London Line with some nice photos depicting the station at various times. Useful interchange.

Double anorark alert - actually £50m for a station may sound a little pricey but the economic benefits they'd need to justify that are only about £2.5-3m a year (for any economists reading the government uses a real discount rate of 3%). Given the value they put on people's time (I seem to remember about £5-10 an hour) this would be justified by about 10,000 people saving 15 minutes each on 200 days a year. Maybe a train spotter type can tell us whether that sounds realistic for the benefits of a new tube connection - sounds fairly reasonable to me.

The "funding package" for the East London Line is only for "phase 1" - to Dalston Junction, West Croydon and Crystal Palace.

The Clapham Junction branch running through Brixton is now in "phase 2", with no confirmed timetable. :( (The northern extension to Highbury and Islington is similarly delayed.)

TFL press release 20 July

TFL map of initiatives including two phases of ELL

Sadly, I'm not surprised, as this is exactly what I predicted on 21 April when Val Shawcross was making a song and dance about her support for the Brixton and Loughborough Junction stations (just before the local elections).

Back
Top Bottom