Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
And it had a Sunday service :(

East Brixton station didn't though.

1953 Railway Magazine article about the line here (opens as pdf)

I have a faint recollection of having seen a 1980s re-print of the timetable leaflet from 1909 (when the south london line was electrified) - I expect copies of this leaflet turn up now and then second hand.

THE ABC
Railway Guide

and Hotel Guide
December 1963
EAST BRIXTON
(London)
3 3/4 miles
From Victoria
2nd class 1/-
From London Bridge
2nd class 1/6
See table 44

Turning to
Table 44 LONDON BRIDGE - DENMARK HILL - VICTORIA | 2nd class

The service was:

MONDAYS TO FRIDAYS
First train East Brixton 531am arriving Victoria 542am
then trains every half hour until 731am
morning peak trains every 20 minutes until 1011am
offpeak service from 1027am every 30 minutes until 357pm
afternoon peak trains every 20 minutes from 431pm until 711pm
then evening service every 30 minutes 727pm until 1057pm

SATURDAYS
First train 529am arriving Victoria 539 am
then trains every 30 minutes from 557am until 1057pm

SUNDAYS
No trains serving East Brixton

Will see if I can scan.

According to the "bible" (Southern Electric by G T Moody) - the 1967 timetable saw the end of the East Brixton Sunday service (along with Morden Sth , Faygate , Plumpton , Cooksbridge , Collington and Southease)

A fall in traffic in inner suburban stations of around 8% in the 1970's "saw for" the station - (along of course with the increasingly uncomptetive nature of the service with the new and shiny Victoria line.

This was discussed a while ago in a long thread; it all boils down to the usual problem, someone has to spend money building a station in an awkward location and that will affect the shareholders profits, which any development is primarily for rather than to serve people living in the area.

But wasn't that about a station in central Brixton? This East Brixton site would be easier, no?

You look at the map of the overground extension and there's this massive gap between denmark hill and clapham, and brixton is still left in the position of having loads of north south transport and having a bloody nightmare if you want to go east west. I should declare an interest, as I live in New Cross and go to Brixton a lot. But still, it seems insane to leave that great gap in the line at a major zone 2 town and transport hub.

According to the "bible" (Southern Electric by G T Moody) - the 1967 timetable saw the end of the East Brixton Sunday service (along with Morden Sth , Faygate , Plumpton , Cooksbridge , Collington and Southease)

:confused:

But there was no Sunday service as early as December 1963 - the ABC Railway Guide timetable I quoted from.

But there was no Sunday service as early as December 1963 - the ABC Railway Guide timetable I quoted from.

It's possible (I don't have any 1960s timetables to hand) that it had a Sunday service during the "summer timetable" but not "winter timetable"

But wasn't that about a station in central Brixton? This East Brixton site would be easier, no?

You look at the map of the overground extension and there's this massive gap between denmark hill and clapham, and brixton is still left in the position of having loads of north south transport and having a bloody nightmare if you want to go east west. I should declare an interest, as I live in New Cross and go to Brixton a lot. But still, it seems insane to leave that great gap in the line at a major zone 2 town and transport hub.

It would be easier, but would only add to the overground's reputation of not having any useful interchanges. Reopening East Brixton would scupper any chances of a station at Brixton itself, which would be so much more useful

From a train planning point of view - would be achievable , however the massive capital costs of stations (especially Brixton HL) , would make it a bit challenging.

I imagine they'll try and get maximum development value out of the old cooltan site and try and get the developer to (help) pay for it

June 1948 - first train towards London Bridge at 0557 , then every 20 mins to 1125 pm - though every 30 mins from 756pm - fare 8d

Towards Victoria , first train at 0526 (interestingly starting from Peckham Rye - where there were carriage sidings) - as above with last train at 1101 pm

Sunday service , every 30 mins from 0556 am (interstingly not calling at Denmark Hill) to 934pm towards Victoria and towards London Bridge from 0619am to 959pm.

Hah! That's a better service than today's SLL, which is every 30 mins even in the peaks. Although the sunday service runs till midnight now.

1952 - every 20/30 minutes, with a Sunday (30 minute) service

Image of timetable (from Southern Region timetable book, 15.9.52 onwards, here

Again, feel free to borrow the image.

BUT I thought the original 1836 London to Greenwich railway (now the track from London Bridge to just beyond Deptford Creek) still held the record for longest single viaduct with 978 arches covering something approaching four miles.
That's what I've read as well.

Edit: You can still see the remains of Spa Road station platforms, from a train, on the viaduct into London Bridge btw.

London Railway Journal - recent edition has some pictures of East Brixton on the last day in service - signs being taken down before the last trains called (they probably ended up in a scrap bin :mad:)

If someone feels they can buy this hard core mag and scan the pix on ....?

I've never heard of the London Railway Journal - where can you buy it? Annoyingly, I heard about an East Brixton roundel going up for sale too late. I'd love to own one of them.

It would be easier, but would only add to the overground's reputation of not having any useful interchanges. Reopening East Brixton would scupper any chances of a station at Brixton itself, which would be so much more useful
The biggest problem with a station at Brixton is the lack of capacity on the Victoria line. The Herne Hill circular extension will probably never happen because an interchange with Thameslink and the wider catchment area would fill the trains before they got more than a few stops north.

An interchange with LO has the same problem - if people start commuting into Brixton from Clapham or Peckham and travelling north then the line will seize up.

East Brixton would probably be the best place for an LO station. It would discourage people from using the LO to reach the VL while improving transport connections for locals.

In addition, Camberwell could desperately do with a station on the Blackfriars to Herne Hill line .... might reduce the traffic along Walworth Road as well. Interesting to hear that there used to be one.
`
I agree Camberwell could really do with a station to relieve pressure on other transport and also to give Camberwell 'a sense of place' as people tend to think about places in terms fo the transport links etc. Plus it was only shut it 1916 as I understand it as a temporary war time cost saving measure.

Southwark Council and others do propose reopening it from time to time as it would I think be relatively easy to do (track still there in Camberwell Station Road, station building still present, I would have thought that platforms could be easily rebuilt) but the latest I read was that Network Rail deemed it unviable for it and Loughborough Junction to be open as they were too close together

I agree Camberwell could really do with a station ... Plus it was only shut it 1916 as I understand it as a temporary war time cost saving measure.

Slightly more to it than that - the other factor (a lot of inner London stations closed around that time) was that passenger numbers were falling - by that time the cheap and frequent electric trams in inner London had taken a lot of traffic from these stations which still (South London line apart) had relatively infrequent steam trains.

Re-opening stations on busy lines is a bit two edged.

Yes, it can be good for the local area, but if the trains are already bung full, it adds to the overcrowding problem (you can only run more trains if the line and terminus stations are not already at full capacity - the extensions of Thameslink may help with the terminus issues here)

Also, having trains stopping more often means slower overall speeds which means you can run less trains per hour overall - although the effect is less now with modern electric trains than it was with steam hauled trains in 1916...

You can get more trains per hour on a line with fancy modern signalling (when it works) like the underground is moving towards, but not sure how well this would work on the 'big' railway where you've got many more junctions where trains cross each others' paths, as well as complications of stopping and faster trains sharing the same tracks.

Speaking as a Loughborough Junction resident I enjoy speeding through the previous site of Camberwell station and getting into town without interruption. Therefore I think it should remain closed and the Camberwellians can just get the bus or something.

If anyone is interested the book London's Elevated Electric Railway by G Goslin gives the beginning of the LBSCR overhead electric services through east brixton. The 1909 time table ran weekdays (mon to sat) 0511 - 0034 to Victoria and 0439-0030 London bridge sort of every 15 mins. Sundays and xmas day it was 1/2 hourly 7ish till midnight.

Kent Rail has done a page on East Brixton - not sure it adds a lot other than that the station was in imminent danger of falling apart when it was closed...

Interesting piece:
After the SR alterations, little changed at this station for many years. Colour lights replaced semaphore signals here on 8th March 1959, when the Factory Junction to Denmark Hill section of the SLL was converted to this mode of operation. Thereafter, the station was allowed to decay, so much that by the 1970s parts of it were becoming structurally unsafe. In 1973, waiting accommodation was severely reduced when large chunks from the middles of both canopies were dismantled. This subsequently created four separate waiting shelters – two on each platform – made up from the remains of the original canopies. At this time, the SR’s Swan Neck lamps were also removed, these being replaced by standard metal lampposts. In spite of this ‘’upgrade’’, the end was nigh. Due to the financial burden of running the station, coupled to the fact that the platforms would fall down without structural remedial work, closure occurred on 5th January 1976.

Thereafter, the station was allowed to decay

BR, from the Beeching era on, was quite good at this sort of thing - train services generally buggered up leading to loss of passengers then the station / line being closed due to few people using them, and so on...

The new Outer London rail orbital opened today:

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/64609000/jpg/_64609708_lomap.jpg

Notice the huge gap in stations between Clapham High Street and Denmark Hill as trains rush through Brixton without stopping!

It was Boris who squashed Ken's plans to build an additional station on the second higher line that runs next to Sainsburys Local.

It would seem that rail lines are now built to add value to property developer's schemes rather than provide real 'public' transport (e.g. Nine Elms, Docklands, etc. etc).

How Lambeth let this go through without any public outcry is a disgrace. A real opportunity for Brixton lost.

Tim S.

Reactions: CH1
Back
Top Bottom