Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
It will happen though at some point. It can't not happen. It might just be awhile. Same with the Shoreditch Central Line-Overground interchange.

It will happen though at some point. It can't not happen. It might just be awhile. Same with the Shoreditch Central Line-Overground interchange.
I wouldn't get too excited about that one tbh. There's plenty of places where lines cross without stations and nothing ever happens. Putting a new station on a running tube line is serious business indeed.

I wouldn't get too excited about that one tbh. There's plenty of places where lines cross without stations and nothing ever happens. Putting a new station on a running tube line is serious business indeed.

Yeah, but the business case for it is pretty strong. And it is something they are considering once Crossrail is out the way.

Yeah, but the business case for it is pretty strong. And it is something they are considering once Crossrail is out the way.
Can you provide a citation for that? Cos all I've ever heard is "wouldn't it be nice" and echo-chamber speculation from rail nerds, but never any actual formal consideration by TfL.

Can you provide a citation for that? Cos all I've ever heard is "wouldn't it be nice" and echo-chamber speculation from rail nerds, but never any actual formal consideration by TfL.

Oh really? I thought it was on London Reconnections? I am probably remembering incorrectly then.

Oh really? I thought it was on London Reconnections? I am probably remembering incorrectly then.
I've read it loads of places too, but I went looking and couldn't find anything from the horse's mouth, as it were.

Surely the new station area masterplan will link Brixton to this line, if not Brixton East?
Yes, the current masterplan reserves space for high-level platforms, but there's no funding in place. It's aspirational, at best.

I always thought if you fell on the rails you were toast?

Only if you touch the third rail, which at stations is on the opposite side of the tracks from the platform.
The tube has a 4th rail as well, in between the tracks, so it's easier to fry yourself on that.

Only if you touch the third rail, which at stations is on the opposite side of the tracks from the platform.
The tube has a 4th rail as well, in between the tracks, so it's easier to fry yourself on that.
iirc you have to touch the third rail and touch the ground with your other foot, or other body part - i have a vague memory from childhood of people jumping onto the third rail with two feet as a dare :hmm:... at least im pretty certain birds can land on it and not get fried

iirc you have to touch the third rail and touch the ground with your other foot, or other body part - i have a vague memory from childhood of people jumping onto the third rail with two feet as a dare :hmm:... at least im pretty certain birds can land on it and not get fried

Correct. Bit do not attempt to verify :D

I had a look for "pissing on the third rail" stories yesterday, and all of them involved the victim touching the third rail with something other than a stream of urine. BTW.

I've heard that a lot of tube engineers will, at some point or another in their careers, touch a third (or fourth) rail and get a hell of a kick out of it but avoid serious injury. I can see why they use the 'Death is certain' warnings though; don't want some idiot pushing their luck.

I've heard that a lot of tube engineers will, at some point or another in their careers, touch a third (or fourth) rail and get a hell of a kick out of it but avoid serious injury. I can see why they use the 'Death is certain' warnings though; don't want some idiot pushing their luck.

The trick is to keep the contact (a) dry and (b) brief. With 230V AC, I estimate a tenth of a second is getting on for too long - for a young, healthy heart.

My father in law is a builder and was helping us do some work on our flat. He unwired a lit bathroom cabinet and taped up the cable. He warned me about touching the live cable but instead of the instant death which I had imagined, he seemed to suggest extreme pain. Since then I have been quite fascinated by it, wondering what it would feel like.

My father in law is a builder and was helping us do some work on our flat. He unwired a lit bathroom cabinet and taped up the cable. He warned me about touching the live cable but instead of the instant death which I had imagined, he seemed to suggest extreme pain. Since then I have been quite fascinated by it, wondering what it would feel like.

I got thrown across the living room from very
stupidly touching a live cable from the mains with a metal tool.

It's terrifying but not that bad. I guess the circuit breaker in the consumer unit saved me from serious harm.

.. at least im pretty certain birds can land on it and not get fried

It is safe to jump on the line because it being direct current at the same potential though out its length. Please note this can not always be said of a.c. lines especially the ones transporting shortwave electricity to the aerial. Birds were known to be electrocuted as they landed as the potential could rise steeply due to standing waves on the line. The evidence usually found was a dead bird beneath the line and two cooked legs left stuck on the line. Not a nice way to go.

I got thrown across the living room from very
stupidly touching a live cable from the mains with a metal tool.

It's terrifying but not that bad. I guess the circuit breaker in the consumer unit saved me from serious harm.

My last post could possibly be the opening paragraph from a Darwin Awards entry.

I've never been one for e petitions, clicktivism seems to have little impact in this system we call democracy but i'm open to persuasion.
So far there are 368 signatures. I don't know who started it.

Can you see any scope for having a kind of mini-referendum on this locally?
Coldharbour is a safe Labour Ward. I think it might be interesting to field candidates on specifically local issues.

I'm pissed off with democracy myself. Surely there is scope to advocate for a few specific local issues without the baggage of the currently dire party political stuff?

Can you see any scope for having a kind of mini-referendum on this locally?

TBH I don't see that there is. It's not really a 'local' issue in that sense because it's about the wider transport network and funding as well. So the people near there would like a new train station - that's fine but it doesn't in itself say why they should get one there ahead of lots of other places.

TBH I don't see that there is. It's not really a 'local' issue in that sense because it's about the wider transport network and funding as well. So the people near there would like a new train station - that's fine but it doesn't in itself say why they should get one there ahead of lots of other places.

Exactly. It would be tough to show that - if a new Brixton station were to be opened - it should be at Brixton East. In fact, Brixton (central) seems more logical. Much more.

Back
Top Bottom