Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
It's a question of money. A new station on the high level line would be very expensive, and would almost certainly have to be part of a large-scale redevelopment of the surrounding sites. Central govt. or TfL funding is highly unlikely.

In the spirit of all threads in this forum turning into gentrification debates - a new station (or even the promise of one) would have given the house prices/rents in the area another hefty shove upwards. So there not being one isn't all bad.

It would also have made the victoria line even more rammed in the morning.

In the spirit of all threads in this forum turning into gentrification debates - a new station (or even the promise of one) would have given the house prices/rents in the area another hefty shove upwards. So there not being one isn't all bad.
Yep. Also, It's not far to Clapham High Street anyway - a short walk or cycle up Landor Road/Ferndale Road. If you wanted to get to Dalston from Brixton or vice versa, this would still be a good option.

Yep. Also, It's not far to Clapham High Street anyway - a short walk or cycle up Landor Road/Ferndale Road. If you wanted to get to Dalston from Brixton or vice versa, this would still be a good option.

Quickest way to Dalston from Brixton is Victoria line to H&I then the overground 2 stops. 30 minutes, rather than 45. It's no more expensive either, as the Overground goes through Zone 1 at Shoreditch.

I understand this change also means the end of the London Victoria to London Bridge service, which goes via Denmark Hill. Presumably people will need to change at Clapham Junction or Peckham Rye now...

It's a question of money. A new station on the high level line would be very expensive, and would almost certainly have to be part of a large-scale redevelopment of the surrounding sites. Central govt. or TfL funding is highly unlikely.

Exactly. This isn't a simple case of "of there's a gap, let's plonk a station here". Brixton is a complicated nightmare and it would be require serious redevelopment the add a stop.

Exactly. This isn't a simple case of "of there's a gap, let's plonk a station here". Brixton is a complicated nightmare and it would be require serious redevelopment the add a stop.
Stephanie Buther, the ex Town Centre Manager was keen to get a station brought in. When looking at potential sites she, one of the problems she was told stood in the way was that the curve in the track would mean too large a gap between train and platform to satisfy current H&S. I think that was in relation to the old East Brixton location.

one of the problems she was told stood in the way was that the curve in the track would mean too large a gap between train and platform to satisfy current H&S.
I'm not sure how cast iron the rules are for that. This is my completely unsourced recollection, but I'm sure I've read of relaxations of those rules for stations that are impossible to fit in otherwise.

Any new station would have to be 8 carriages long (160m), for future-proofing. They'd also want to avoid construction works over the existing station and Atlantic Road, for safety and uninterrupted operation of the existing railway. That would mean platforms that stretch all the way from Pope's Road to Valencia Place.

Any new station would have to be 8 carriages long (160m), for future-proofing. They'd also want to avoid construction works over the existing station and Atlantic Road, for safety and uninterrupted operation of the existing railway. That would mean platforms that stretch all the way from Pope's Road to Valencia Place.
Yep...and in any case, the council want to build new buildings between the railway lines there. Can't ever see it happening in the short term...

IIRC, safeguarding for the platforms has already been built into the developments along coldharbour lane. I strongly suspect that it would also be the case for the other side of the tracks.

But yeah, no chance of this for at least 10-15 years.

...gentrification debates - ... So there not being [a new station] isn't all bad.
...I don't think market traders would agree.
I also find it difficult to swallow that Lambeth can find millions of pounds for their new Town Hall but nothing for the Brixton regeneration this station would undoubtedly create.

£50m at the last estimate. The council couldn't afford it. It would have to be mostly funded by Section 106 payments from developers, and to raise that sort of money would require BIG developments, like the one proposed for the Village. Ironically, listing the Village probably knackered the chances of a station ever happening.

...I don't think market traders would agree.
I also find it difficult to swallow that Lambeth can find millions of pounds for their new Town Hall but nothing for the Brixton regeneration this station would undoubtedly create.

I'm sure Crispy will correct me if I'm wrong but I suspect building a new station is of a different order of magnitude altogether compared to a new town hall when it comes to cost.

Beyond that the market traders aren't the only people with a stake are they, and it's not unproblematic for them either. A new station might mean more customers but it would also mean higher rents in the medium and long term which would probably more than cancel the benefits out for some of them.

I'm not saying the idea of a new station is a 'bad thing' btw, just that it's not unambiguously a good thing either.

...The council couldn't afford it...

Lambeth seem to have a knack of 'affording' things when convenient. There is plenty of empty land round the back of the railway lines, and there is even talk of re-locating the Rec, so with a little imagination I am sure anything is possible. It depends on whether the council have any imagination?

From Lambeth Web site: http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/Services/TransportStreets/PublicTransportTaxis/CrossRiverTram.htm

"Unfortunately, the proposals to build the CRT are now on hold due to constraints on TfL’s funding. Future work will concentrate on working with the boroughs, the London Development Agency and the Greater London Authority to assess potential alternatives to the scheme. Recommendations from the study will form part of a future bid to Government for more funding."

Lambeth seem to have a knack of 'affording' things when convenient. There is plenty of empty land round the back of the railway lines, and there is even talk of re-locating the Rec, so with a little imagination I am sure anything is possible. It depends on whether the council have any imagination?

Along Atlantic Road, the westbound platform is up on stilts over the pavement. Is there any real reason why this couldn't happen for the westbound platform that is non-existant at present, with reopening the currently disused third platform at the station - problem solved? It shouldn't cause any more disruption to shops/market etc than the existing one does.

There are 2 lines that go through Brixton:

The lower has a station and platforms.

The upper (which goes behind Argos and not obviously visible from the existing station) has no station and no platforms. This is what needs to be built for Brixton to join the new line.

3 lines. 2 low level, 1 high level. There are platforms on one of the low level lines. The other low level line used to have platforms and they could be reopened. But the Overground runs on the high level line, which has never had platforms.

Atlantic_Road,_Brixton,_South_London_-_geograph.org.uk_-_468413.jpg

Atlantic Road facing east:
Left of picture shows the lower line with its station. Right is the upper line without station or platforms.

It's not really the Council's to build though. Transport for London are responsible for stuff like this (not Lambeth) and they're short of cash.

Much as I'd love a station on the high level lines, or the reopening of Brixton East station, it's not really a big priority at the moment. We have really good transport links in Brixton already.

It's a shame the new high level line trains on the London Loop extension bit (going from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction) can't just go along the low level lines then reverse into Brixton station to get alongside the platform. Not enough capacity I guess.

Yeah, it's theoretically possible to get an Overground train onto the low level lines, but those are full of trains going to Victoria.

It's a shame the new high level line trains on the London Loop extension bit (going from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction) can't just go along the low level lines then reverse into Brixton station to get alongside the platform. Not enough capacity I guess.

Reverse?

Any idea what that would do to line capacity?

crispy said:
Yeah, it's theoretically possible to get an Overground train onto the low level lines, but those are full of trains going to Victoria.

Capacity is the issue - but I seem to remember that last year Google Maps wasn't showing a crossover, and it'd be damn difficult to fit one in without a massive rebuild of some underbridges.

My mistake! I had convinced myself there was a crossover between Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill.

My mistake! I had convinced myself there was a crossover between Peckham Rye and Denmark Hill.

According to this quite fantasic map that I've just discovered, there is a partial one at Crofton Road Junction, and even a way back onto the high level after Brixton at Shepherd's Lane junction; even so changing from high level to low level is never going to happen I'd have thought, given the logisitics of dealing with the capacity issues.

However looking at this map does again make me want them to re-open East Brixton on the Overground - just look how beautifully it's placed. Is there a campaign or anything to try doea anyone know?

While it would be great to have E.Brixton re-opened, it would scupper any chance at all of a proper interchange at Brixton. That will happen some day - the benefits are so great. But it will come at the cost of substantial redevelopment of the area around the existing station.

It seems that TfL have studied the options for Brixton in detail: http://www.londonreconnections.com/...ng-of-overground-capacity-work/#comment-80214 - but nothing has been made available to the public...

While it would be great to have E.Brixton re-opened, it would scupper any chance at all of a proper interchange at Brixton. That will happen some day - the benefits are so great. But it will come at the cost of substantial redevelopment of the area around the existing station.

It seems that TfL have studied the options for Brixton in detail: http://www.londonreconnections.com/...ng-of-overground-capacity-work/#comment-80214 - but nothing has been made available to the public...
Kings Cross Thameslink was a serviceable interlude before the grand opening of St Pancras International almost 20 years later. Surely it makes sense to push for reopening East Brixton - now that Medussa has closed. The cost of tram-like interim platforms up there would only be a few thousands, surely?

Back
Top Bottom