Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

East Brixton station (formerly Lougborough Park): abandoned station off Coldharbour Lane

Do you think East London Line trains should stop in the Brixton area?

• Total voters
No Brixton station on East London Line Extension

Does anyone know if there is any more news regarding Phase II of the East London Line Extensions and in particular whether Brixton is going to get a station or not:

http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/3#Phases

Brixton
Two new stations on Phase Two are just possibilities. Brixton has no platforms on the South London line (the route to be taken between Peckham and Clapham) - but these could be built, given that Brixton is a very busy bus/tube interchange station. There used to be a station at East Brixton but this is some distance from the existing Brixton station.

Unfortunately, since the station at Brixton would be located on a brick viaduct, the cost would be high - around £50m-60m for this station alone.

It seems ridiculous to me that passengers will be whisked past Brixton and Loughborough Junction as if we are some kind of embarrassment to the rest of London! Like all other tax payers we are paying for this line so we should be allowed access.

I don't understand the thinking really as to why the 4th platform at Brixton can't be built, and the third (middle) bought back into use.

The Victoria-bound platform overhangs the pavement and is up on stilts.

On the other side, it would overhang the little market area so it's not even like it's going to close a road or anything - height of vehicles shouldn't be any more of a problem any more than it is the other side of the station.

I can't see how doing something similar would cost 60 million.

I don't understand the thinking really as to why the 4th platform at Brixton can't be built, and the third (middle) bought back into use.

The Victoria-bound platform overhangs the pavement and is up on stilts.

On the other side, it would overhang the little market area so it's not even like it's going to close a road or anything - height of vehicles shouldn't be any more of a problem any more than it is the other side of the station.

I can't see how doing something similar would cost 60 million.
You have your lines confused. The Northern low-level line is not the one that will be carrying the extension - it will be the Southern high-level line.

A high-level brixton station would probably be intimately connected with development of the derelict land to the East of the existing station, at the old Cooltan site. This was suggested in the development plans for the market arcades, IIRC.

I knocked up a schematic in gmaps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie...62838,-0.11158&spn=0.002717,0.005016&t=k&z=18

Those are platforms for 8-car trains, which is what the other new stations are built for even if they are only running 4-car for the foreseeable future. There was a thread on the market redevelopment, where did that go?

Crispy - I don't know if you noticed but in that Google image there are two 8-carriage trains crossing each other about 200m to the west of Brixton Road. Kind of cool :hmm:

No station thanks to Boris

Copy of email from Valerie Shawcross today...

Tim

Boris has cancelled a huge raft of planned projects [previously passed by Ken]. We shouted very loudly about his 'bonfire of transport projects' on the media and any additional voices of concern would be welcome.

Val

Valerie Shawcross AM
LONDON Assembly Member
Lambeth & Southwark

City Hall
The Queen's Walk
London
SE1 2AA

020 7983 4371

www.london.gov.uk

All she seems to be saying is it was never more than a proposed station ("planned project"). Which is exactly the case, iifr.

You have your lines confused. The Northern low-level line is not the one that will be carrying the extension - it will be the Southern high-level line.

Understand.

Is it not possible to put in some pointwork to the east so trains can cross from the high level to the low level lines, and build the platform over the market by the leisure centre as I mentioned, or are the heights so different?

Is it simply a capacity issue?

More than a proposal

...it was never more than a proposed station...

...a bit more than that; according to Councillor Toren Smith...

"I can confirm that Lambeth Council is proposing to safeguard the land any future East London Line station will require at Brixton (in the forthcoming Local Development Framework) so that it is able to be built without conflict from any new development."

Understand.

Is it not possible to put in some pointwork to the east so trains can cross from the high level to the low level lines, and build the platform over the market by the leisure centre as I mentioned, or are the heights so different?

Is it simply a capacity issue?
A junction to the east would have to come after the chord onto the thameslink route, whose trains are on the northern pair of tracks until that point. Immediately after the chord, the track runs over loughborough junction. If we want a station there, we can't put a junction in as well. In fact, building a junction here would be just as difficult as building a station. beyond there, we have the chord on the other side to deal with, after which the lines start to diverge vertically.

so, as well as it being a pathing problem (the northern tracks already have services running on them), it's a 3 dimensional junciton problem.

IMO, the only liekly solution is platforms to the east of the existing station, as in my google map. This allows construction to take place without interfering with the existing station or Atlantic road, and can be tied into the development that the council wants on the surrounding sites. This doesn't need junctions to the east, and therefore allows a station to be built at loughborough junction.

So many of south london's railways are poorly layed out, and things are complicated by each network wanting a west end and city terminus.

So many of south london's railways are poorly layed out, and things are complicated by each network wanting a west end and city terminus.

It's not necessarily the railways laid out per se, but also lack of urban planning over the last 50 or so years, sticking great big blocks of flats in on former railway land or building right up to the boundries with no thought of possible expansion in the future.

...a bit more than that; according to Councillor Toren Smith...

"I can confirm that Lambeth Council is proposing to safeguard the land any future East London Line station will require at Brixton (in the forthcoming Local Development Framework) so that it is able to be built without conflict from any new development."
Of course they're going to safeguard land :hmm:

Slightly overdue update! I managed to buy an East Brixton ticket on eBay for a massive £1.25, so have penned a short article about the station.

east-brixton-battersea-1969-04.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/east-brixton-station-to-battersea-3rd-october-1969/

I can only find LBSCR timetables for the main line to Brighton etc. The national archives has copies of all their timetables, but you have to make a trip to Kew. Searching for South London Line timetables only gets you modern ones.

I know it's a bad sad, but I was quite chuffed to get my hands on a little reminder of the station!

I wish I'd been able to buy the old 'East Brixton' enamel sign that went up for auction a while ago. That would have looked lovely in the flat (although Eme may have disagreed).

Can anyone find timetables for this station? I'm curious as to what kind of service it once had.

Thinking about it, it's only ever been on the SLL, so probably no more than 4 trains an hour each way to Victoria/London Bridge.

I looked up Bradshaw's Railway Guide on amazon and they're going for £39 - £85 or over.

I'll see whether there's still my dad's old (1920s?) copy at me mam's, if I remember....

I think both Camberwell and Walworth stations on the Thameslink line should be reopened as these areas are quite deprived economically while being poorly serviced by other modes of public transport. Buses on the Walworth Road to get to E&C tube are often painfully slow and there are, of course, no tube stations. The stations at Loughborough Junction and Elephant & Castle to and from Blackfriars re a fair distance for those who currently live in the area.

Although some journey times might take longer as a result of having to stop at these stations, not all trains have to stop there if patronage levels don't warrant it.

East Brixton station was on the South London line to and from Victoria and London Bridge was it not? I am also perplexed as the why the East London Line Phase 2 to Clapham Junctions will not have a station at Brixton, whether it be Brixton mainline station or a re-opened East Brixton. To stop on the high-level tracks at Brixton would mean excellent connections to the Victoria Line. It just makes sense IMHO.

East Brixton station was on the South London line to and from Victoria and London Bridge was it not? I am also perplexed as the why the East London Line Phase 2 to Clapham Junctions will not have a station at Brixton, whether it be Brixton mainline station or a re-opened East Brixton. To stop on the high-level tracks at Brixton would mean excellent connections to the Victoria Line. It just makes sense IMHO.

This was discussed a while ago in a long thread; it all boils down to the usual problem, someone has to spend money building a station in an awkward location and that will affect the shareholders profits, which any development is primarily for rather than to serve people living in the area.

This was discussed a while ago in a long thread; it all boils down to the usual problem, someone has to spend money building a station in an awkward location and that will affect the shareholders profits, which any development is primarily for rather than to serve people living in the area.

Crispy drew maps :)

But not graphs :(

Can anyone find timetables for this station? I'm curious as to what kind of service it once had.

From the 1974/5 BR all lines timetable:

It was only served by the London Bridge - Denmark Hill - Victoria "wall of death" line.

Two trains per hour in each direction, closed on Sundays.

The 1,300+ page format of the timetable doesn't really lend itself to use of a scanner - I'll see what I can do about photographing the relevant page if you like.

From the 1974/5 BR all lines timetable:

It was only served by the London Bridge - Denmark Hill - Victoria "wall of death" line.

Two trains per hour in each direction, closed on Sundays.

The 1,300+ page format of the timetable doesn't really lend itself to use of a scanner - I'll see what I can do about photographing the relevant page if you like.
That would be ace! When was the first/last trains?

Back
Top Bottom