Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Dulwich Hamlet fans discuss how to bring the joy back to Champion Hill

Thing is, the original Rabble were noticeably different to just about any other non league fans. There were cowbells clanging, inflatable giraffes, voodoo sticks, mad spontaneous songs and other daft nonsense. I can't see many people being star struck with what's happening now, partly because there's simply no room to look/sound different.
Oh yes, nothing like a strap on dildo made out of cling film rolls.

What's the point? The club has already decided that they're fine with it. It's a done deal. My opinions clearly don't count.
Was more thinking you could raise the concerns fans have with his association direct to him. Might make him consider the issue in a new light, might do nothing, but worth a try?

Was more thinking you could raise the concerns fans have with his association direct to him. Might make him consider the issue in a new light, might do nothing, but worth a try?

Could be worth a try. But the club has a stated that it is against his activities, why then did they appoint him to the board? Seems to me it might have been worth the board raising their concerns rather than taking the money.

Any chance me could have this thread split into two? One about practicalities of trying to make things better and one for ranting or whatever.

Not sure 'Dulwich Hamlet in crisis?' really fits the former.
"Existential crisis" at a push.

Seriously editor I don't think fanning the flames is particularly helpful.

"Existential crisis" at a push.

Seriously editor I don't think fanning the flames is particularly helpful.

Losing long term fans and having to start discussions like this sure looks like a bit of a crisis to me, but I'll tell you what: you suggest a better title and I will change it. I really don't think the thread will benefit from a quibble fest over its title.
Any chance me could have this thread split into two? One about practicalities of trying to make things better and one for ranting or whatever.

Not sure 'Dulwich Hamlet in crisis?' really fits the former.
Mate, it took ages to separate the last lot of posts and I don't think it would be possible to split it again as some posts contain both rants and solutions!

I think it's not a crisis and that's part of the problem to be honest. At most football clubs and at Dulwich historically it's always been - more fans=great news. Look back over the excitement on the Attendances thread when we started reaching the dizzy heights of 800 fans. That's a pretty fixed mindset and it's hard to overcome.

People can send me a DM here (or contact me by other means if they have my details) if they want in on ideas and helping out with what I'm now calling the Scutta initiative. There seems to be some interest on Discord but I'm not sure we're looking for anything club-sanctioned at all.

So we can look at another communication channel if we want and then crack on.

Weirdly, I thought that the Maidstone game was this Tuesday. It's actually the 26th but you probably all know that.

I think it's not a crisis and that's part of the problem to be honest. At most football clubs and at Dulwich historically it's always been - more fans=great news. Look back over the excitement on the Attendances thread when we started reaching the dizzy heights of 800 fans. That's a pretty fixed mindset and it's hard to overcome.
Agreed.

Our problem is the limitations of the stadium and the steep rise in influx of new fans.

People can send me a DM here (or contact me by other means if they have my details) if they want in on ideas and helping out with what I'm now calling the Scutta initiative. There seems to be some interest on Discord but I'm not sure we're looking for anything club-sanctioned at all.

So we can look at another communication channel if we want and then crack on.

Weirdly, I thought that the Maidstone game was this Tuesday. It's actually the 26th but you probably all know that.
FYI - there is the option to create a private, invite only sub-forum here, so things can be discussed away from the public gaze, if that's useful.

It seems I can't access the Crouch discussion on discord :(

1634316386464.png

In fact I can't access anything now. Have I been expelled already?!

Have a good row with the no surrender chanters. This will get rid/quiet them down and scare all the lordship lane types away.
Sorted.

I will admit to being a fair weather visitor last Saturday for only my second match, drawn in by the sunny day and absence of any other sport to watch (I have a season ticket at a PL club, and DH is on the 37 bus route). I was surprised at the turnout (I queued for a ticket). I can't comment on the behind-the-scenes issues that DH may have, but I would agree that the bars and toilets were unprepared for the uplift in crowd and that many were treating the ground as a beer garden with a football match attached.
I did look at other similar-sized clubs playing at home that day on footballwebpages.co.uk and the 70% rise in gate that DH saw from the previous home league games was matched elsewhere. Bromley's rose 67% and Woking by 88% so the combination of good weather and international break was clearly a driver for local non-league clubs that day. I suspect that as winter draws near crowds will go back to the 1800-2200 range.
I guess the main issue is what constitutes success- advancement up the football pyramid, happy to be at this level, or being a community progressive club. It's hard to keep the latter if the club wants to attract new fans and advance up the league.

I guess the main issue is what constitutes success- advancement up the football pyramid, happy to be at this level, or being a community progressive club. It's hard to keep the latter if the club wants to attract new fans and advance up the league.

And that's pretty much the issue in a nutshell.

Have a good row with the no surrender chanters. This will get rid/quiet them down and scare all the lordship lane types away.
Sorted.

I don't think they were no surrender chants. They were IRA songs. At least that's what I was told at the time.

Back
Top Bottom