Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of when the teacher is sick and they get in a substitute who is clueless about everything. The kids run rings around them, throw stuff out of the windows, sneak out and have fist fights in the hall, make fun of them but they're too stupid to notice, set fires in the bathroom, that sort of stuff. But, it's not kids. It's countries who know the President to be is an imbecile and they can probably get away with anything they want as long as substitute teacher doesn't notice.

Like that Obama cunt ?

He might be better off countering the arguments of many on the US left who argue that white Americans can't be working class because they're a "labour aristocracy " . That shite is a mainstream left view over there now .
Couldn't be *that* mainstream - first time I've ever heard this.

It's only really part of the anti-imperialist head-banger approach that he usually quotes approvingly - at least in the formal historical sense f the lenin lenin derived labour aristocracy idea. It also, of course, is a an unspoken thread connecting much of the middle class US liberal-left and centre right. Plenty examples posted throughout this thread.

*cough*

Incoming national security adviser's son, who peddles conspiracies, has a government transition email

The son of incoming national security adviser Michael Flynn, who Sunday night peddled a false conspiracy theory about a DC pizzeria, has an official government transition email address.

Michael G. Flynn, the son of retired Lt. Gen. Michael T. Flynn, has served as his father's top aide and chief of staff. CNN's KFile previously reported that he pushed extreme conspiracies theories on Twitter and Facebook.
An email sent to Lt. Gen. Flynn at an address he used for his consulting group bounced back with a message saying, "This email account will be suspended indefinitely." The email pointed to official .gov emails both the older and younger Flynn.

An email to Flynn's son on his consulting group email, which worked last week, also bounced back.
On Sunday evening, the younger Flynn defended the baseless "PizzaGate" conspiracy, the name given to a theory peddled online that claims Comet Ping Pong restaurant and its owner were involved in a child sex operation. The owner has vehemently denied the charges. Earlier in the day, DC police arrested a man with an assault rifle who admitted to coming to the restaurant to investigate the online conspiracy.
"Until #Pizzagate proven to be false, it'll remain a story. The left seems to forget #PodestaEmails and the many 'coincidences' tied to it," he tweeted.

Me too, pal. Lots of folk there describe themselves as "middle class" when they're more like the equivalent of working class. Sometimes they'll say "blue collar" but that relates more to your job than your class background. The way class is strutured and functions is different in America than it is in the UK. Took me moving here to actually understand it, but that's another story.

Never heard the term "labor aristocracy" (it wouldn't be "labour") in my life. Sounds fishy.

Fishy in what sense? It's been an accepted (accepted as in being part of one tradition of historical interpretation, not accepted as in being agreed with) part of marxist discourse for a hundred years. It's part of labour history, it's part of all sorts of labour-oriented perspectives in both academia and politics.

A Warning for Americans From a Member of Pussy Riot

Pussy Riot became an international symbol of Mr. Putin’s crackdown on free speech; of how his regime uses falsehood and deflection to sow confusion and undermine critics.

Now that the political-media environment that we smugly thought to be “over there” seems to be arriving over here, Ms. Tolokonnikova has a message: “It’s important not to say to yourself, ‘Oh, it’s O.K.,’” she told me. “It’s important to remember that, for example, in Russia, for the first year of when Vladimir Putin came to power, everybody was thinking that it will be O.K.”

“It is a common phrase right now that ‘America has institutions,’” Ms. Tolokonnikova said. “It does. But a president has power to change institutions and a president moreover has power to change public perception of what is normal, which could lead to changing institutions.”

Fishy in what sense? It's been an accepted (accepted as in being part of one tradition of historical interpretation, not accepted as in being agreed with) part of marxist discourse for a hundred years.

So totally irrelevant to genuine working class folks in America. Gotcha!

Quite possibly- but to react to a term you hadn't heard as if it was fishy is i suppose quite representative of the paranoia driving a lot of the responses on here and wider afield.
Commenting on the person's choice to use the term (not the only fishy reasoning from the individual), but my bad if that was misunderstood.

15317920_10153953521147064_8546134231772084727_n.jpg

0 women
0 people of color
3 men in glasses
5 Steves

From Khaled Beydoun

Thomas J Barrack Jr is of Lebanese descent, does that count?

He was born in America to Maronite Christian parents who immigrated from Lebanon. Consumer rights activist and 2000 independent candidate for president Ralph Nader and popular actor Danny Thomas were as well.

Both Nader and Thomas were on TV alot when I was growing up. Both were considered to be white. I'd suggest the public perception of Barrack is also the same.

Maybe this article will help. It's about Poles, but a fairly similar process happened with other immigrant groups that initially were not seen as "one of us" but within a generation or two, and with fair enough skin, became "white."

Edit: Interestingly Jewish people are a group that's sometimes seen as white and sometimes not, depending on location, context and the prevailing winds of anti semitism.

Danny Thomas, acting out with Lucy's husband, Desi Arnaz - better known as Ricky Ricardo.

1202954111_1.jpg

Desi was Cuban: his father was mayor of Santiago de Cuba during the Thirties, and spent a lot of time trying to outlaw the conga[a type of dance practiced at the time by the largely black population of Santiago de Cuba during the Carnaval], because of its 'dangerous and contaminating morals'.

Who knew that Sixties US tv was so multicultural? :)

Reactions: CRI
Come to think of it, the Danny Thomas character on Make Room For Daddy didn't hide his Lebanese heritage.

For one thing, on the show, he had an uncle named Uncle Tonoose.
\
453px-Hans_Conried_Uncle_Tonoose_Danny_Thomas_Show_1959.JPG

I don't think that too many white middle Americans of Anglo-German background or what have you, had an Uncle Tonoose in the family. :D

eta: Uncle Tonoose was played by an actor named Hans Conried, an American of German heritage.

Cultural appropriation in action, yet again!

Reactions: CRI
Would Trump's picks be OK if they were women or black? Are his choices for housing and education sound then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom