Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Donald Trump, the road that might not lead to the White House!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it, what is the problem with the logo going behind his head?
Devil_Flanders.png

On 3QD The United States Is Not an Apocalyptic Wasteland, Explains Steven Pinker
Trump constantly played on heavily armed suburban and rural Americans fears of an urban landscape straight out of one of he the less boring The Walking Dead seasons. Dusky terrorists and rapey Mexicans also loomed large in this dystopia. The level of fear conjured over tiny numbers of Syrian refugees was remarkable. Crooked Hilary would take their guns away and they'd be unmanned before the dark tided. It was an entertainment unconnected with reality like a scary movie. It's an old trick that's been used in harder times.

I'm old enough to remember when NYC was actually a bit rough. It's basically Disneyland for grown ups these days in comparison.
In addition, the US has been improving economically since Obama took office. The stock market is at an all time high and unemployment has dropped steadily. So where did all the anger come from.....ginned up by the right and the media that followed along. White Christians see themselves being outnumbered and overwhelmed by "them."
US unemployment rate fell to 4.6 percent in November 2016 from 4.9 percent in the previous month and well below market expectations of 4.9 percent. It was the lowest jobless rate since August 2007, as the number of unemployed persons declined by 387 thousand to 7.4 million while the labor force participation rate decreased by 0.1 percentage point to 62.7 percent.
Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rate for adult men declined to 4.3 percent in November. The rates for adult women (4.2 percent), teenagers (15.2 percent), Whites (4.2 percent), Blacks (8.1 percent), Asians (3.0 percent), and Hispanics (5.7 percent) showed little or no change over the month.
United States Unemployment Rate | 1948-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar

Reactions: CRI
In addition, the US has been improving economically since Obama took office. The stock market is at an all time high and unemployment has dropped steadily. So where did all the anger come from.....ginned up by the right and the media that followed along. White Christians see themselves being outnumbered and overwhelmed by "them."
I'm sure workers on $7.25 an hour are absolutely thrilled that the stock market is at an all time high.

I'm sure workers on $7.25 an hour are absolutely thrilled that the stock market is at an all time high.

I'm sure they don't, but they do care about unemployment. For every one point rise in the unemployment rate 40,000 people can be expected to die who wouldn't have otherwise.

Last edited:
I'm sure they don't, but they do care of unemployment. For every one point rise in the unemployment rate 40,000 people can be expected to die who wouldn't have otherwise.
That may well be true but the figures quoted don't say anything about the distribution of wealth, just that wealth overall is going up and a few less people are likely to be entirely destitute. Anger comes from unequal distribution of wealth so citing a rise in the stock market as a reason not to be angry is missing the point spectacularly.

That may well be true but the figures quoted don't say anything about the distribution of wealth, just that wealth overall is going up and a few less people are likely to be entirely destitute. Anger comes from unequal distribution of wealth so citing a rise in the stock market as a reason not to be angry is missing the point spectacularly.

That's basically correct.

I'd add that anger comes from a variety of sources. I'm an angrier person than I used to be. I've watched too many people die from preventable causes. Too much of that is related to how much money and access you have.

I don't think many Trump voters were angered by the unequal distribution of wealth. And the rise in the stock market is very relevant since most middle class workers are in it....through their retirement plans. This includes union workers who's pension funds are invested in it.

I don't think many Trump voters were angered by the unequal distribution of wealth. And the rise in the stock market is very relevant since most middle class workers are in it....through their retirement plans. This includes union workers who's pension funds are invested in it.
So basically you're saying 'America is already great'? We've heard that one before somewhere.

You'd like it here right now, then: there's snow and ice on the ground, temp. last night -7, and more on the way.

[I know: that isn't really cold at all. :)]

I admit to missing the temps here from years ago of -20F. I haven't seen those temps in ages....

Been running around in shirtsleeves all this fall. It's been in the 50s until earlier this week. We're finally getting some seasonal weather with temps around freezing.

Last edited:
I saw them again last winter - I went to Alberta at Christmas time. -20 and lower are common occurrences on the Canadian Prairies in winter.

I used to listen to The Eagle in Swiftcurrent and they'd have temps like that. I really got hooked hearing the weather report and the specials at the bowling alley. (yes, I'm easily entertained.):D

About the happiest I've ever been was snowshoeing around Crested Butte, CO on 10 inches of new powder.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom