Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

I didn't manage the second episode, yet, but I'm not holding out much hope.

It's upset some delicate souls but it's imho, an improvement.

Depends on how one feels about musical elements and LGBT representation.

It's quite experimental and some excellent cinematography but will certainly divide some people and add to the endless boring culture wars.

It's upset some delicate souls but it's imho, an improvement.

Depends on how one feels about musical elements and LGBT representation.

It's quite experimental and some excellent cinematography but will certainly divide some people and add to the endless boring culture wars.
Oh, I think there’s a lot more to opinions than that. I thought the idea was good, but that there was a lot wrong with the execution.

1. The portrayal of the Beatles was rubbish. They weren’t convincing. In 1963 when recording their first album, Paul was 20 and George was 19. They weren’t 40-year-olds in bad wigs.
2. The music theory was garbage. The notes the Doctor played to torture the Maestro were not the intervals that formed the chord that banished them.
3. The chord that banished the Maestro was a straight major chord with no extensions. Such a vanilla chord would have ended up banishing the Maestro every minute of the day. The piano teacher in 1925 must have played several.
4. The song and dance routine at the end “There’s Always A Twist At The End” played no part in the story at all. It was just tacked on as an afterthought after the conclusion of the action. That was just embarrassing.
5. The Maestro themself pushed scenery chewing past previous bars set by the Master/Missy and the Toymaker.
6. The feel of the episode was something new in Who, and one I’m not sold on yet.

I much preferred the first episode. Despite the fact that the baby lip synching was unconvincing because our brains were telling us babies that age don’t talk. And despite the lack of effort in explaining why the babies were talking and had developed in that way in the first place.

Oh, I think there’s a lot more to opinions than that. I thought the idea was good, but that there was a lot wrong with the execution.

1. The portrayal of the Beatles was rubbish. They weren’t convincing. In 1963 when recording their first album, Paul was 20 and George was 19. They weren’t 40-year-olds in bad wigs.
2. The music theory was garbage. The notes the Doctor played to torture the Maestro were not the intervals that formed the chord that banished them.
3. The chord that banished the Maestro was a straight major chord with no extensions. Such a vanilla chord would have ended up banishing the Maestro every minute of the day. The piano teacher in 1925 must have played several.
4. The song and dance routine at the end “There’s Always A Twist At The End” played no part in the story at all. It was just tacked on as an afterthought after the conclusion of the action. That was just embarrassing.
5. The Maestro themself pushed scenery chewing past previous bars set by the Master/Missy and the Toymaker.
6. The feel of the episode was something new in Who, and one I’m not sold on yet.

I much preferred the first episode. Despite the fact that the baby lip synching was unconvincing because our brains were telling us babies that age don’t talk. And despite the lack of effort in explaining why the babies were talking and had developed in that way in the first place.
Certainly the bootleg Beatles wrere quite bizarre.

As for music accuracy, going to venture the opinion that occasional the show isn't always on the ball when it comes to real life...

I was hugely disappointed by the first episode. I couldn't wait for it to end. The CGI talking babies didn't work for me at all and I couldn't get past that.

As for the second episode, it had its faults. I'm not a musician but the chord which banished the Maestro didn't seem anything special to me either. The Beatles weren't at all believable. However, the over-the-top scenery chewing of the Maestro was perfect as were the sets.

Oh, are you sure that didn’t annoy me too? It seems like something I’d be annoyed by. Unless Martha did it.
To be fair, that might have been one of the occasions that both you and I were annoyed and others were telling us that we should ignore everything we know because space magic. The time it was just you telling me I should ignore everything I know because space magic may have been something else.

To be fair, that might have been one of the occasions that both you and I were annoyed and others were telling us that we should ignore everything we know because space magic. The time it was just you telling me I should ignore everything I know because space magic may have been something else.
As I recall, kabbes you got annoyed at the portrayal of Isaac Newton as a chipper fellow and danny la rouge didn't care. But maybe you are thinking about the way the Giggle got transmitted through the ether or something.

But then you said you would care about Duke Ellington playing the violin or something, and lo! it came to pass.
Karma came and got me. I don’t even believe in karma in that sense. But the Toy Maker and the gods outside the Universe are so powerful that that doesn’t stop them.

Karma came and got me. I don’t even believe in karma in that sense. But the Toy Maker and the gods outside the Universe are so powerful that that doesn’t stop them.
This Gods shit can fuck off too. Ruby/Rose/cannon fodder of the week describing them as gods I'm fine with but the Doctor? Piss off.

I've scrolled ahead and instantly dislike him saying he's not The Doctor. "Adopted, like you..." No.

It's season 1 now. So it's a totally new show. But without the actual disconnect that made Tennant's season 1 one reasonable...

"Humans speak only one language now, Cantonese..."

I hate it.

Back
Top Bottom