Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

And yet, here we are talking about the episode 10 years down the line.
Not only talking about it, but dismissing out of hand the likelihood that a 1000 year old time lord with a phone box that's bigger on the inside, has a heart and soul, and travels through time, could punch through a diamond wall. Even coming up with the maths to prove it couldn't happen.

Pssst... somebody tell them it isn't a documentary 🤣

Not only talking about it, but dismissing out of hand the likelihood that a 1000 year old time lord with a phone box that's bigger on the inside, has a heart and soul, and travels through time, could punch through a diamond wall. Even coming up with the maths to prove it couldn't happen.

Pssst... somebody tell them it isn't a documentary 🤣
ahem

Two hearts.

Noob

That was very disappointing, and I was expecting to see something along those lines. :( It's a science fiction show, you have to at least indulge in some science-sounding bullshit to make things stick, even if it is off the back of a fag packet. They didn't even bother with that.
This is why I didn't like the idea of it becoming more of a fantasy show Any old shit can and will happen at any time.

well, the licence plate on the car was [some letters] 20IF

And Ruby did make clear she was born in 2004 so she would be 20 this year...

There's speculation online that the twist is Susan is coming back and/or that the Doctor and Robyn are trapped in some kind of meta-verse, a show within a show

Whatever the case, it's not the death of Who. And Disney, afaik, is distributing the show as opposed to dictating how it should be produced.

Tate was the best actor, but the threesome with the Ponds was a more interesting dynamic than the traditional female sidekick one, and better companion-centred stories were written for them.

Which traditional female sidekick dynamic is that?
There have been plenty of male companions and mixed pairs/groups of companions that have worked well, without any of the overblown "companions are special/superhuman" type nonsense.

In response to the last few pages:

1. Catherine Tate was one of the best companions

2. Matt Smith had the best arcs

3. Punching through a diamond wall is awesome

Some people are upset about Who. It's nothing new, though. It was a time of concern and exasperation during the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy years... and wasn't a huge Matt Smith fan either. But what some of us realise (and is why we criticise) is that as fans, we're in it for life. Committed. There's no middle ground when it comes to it.

Nonsense. It can’t be ten years ago.

We're eighteen years since I cried thinking (for at least three seconds) RTD had killed Rose. That was closer in time to the McCoy era than Gatwa's. The moral of the story is we're all a bunch of old cunts :cool:

Some people are upset about Who. It's nothing new, though. It was a time of concern and exasperation during the Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy years... and wasn't a huge Matt Smith fan either. But what some of us realise (and is why we criticise) is that as fans, we're in it for life. Committed. There's no middle ground when it comes to it.
“I’ll watch it no matter how shit it gets” is at least a creed, I suppose. If not one that I can get behind.

Which traditional female sidekick dynamic is that?
There have been plenty of male companions and mixed pairs/groups of companions that have worked well, without any of the overblown "companions are special/superhuman" type nonsense.

Still a minority, and of course 13 isn’t canon. Not sure anything after 12 is going to be canon at this rate.

I’ve been working my way through classic seasons seven to seventeen with an unbroken run of lone female companions. Quite looking forward to the start of the Nyssa+Tegan+Adric/Turlough menagerie, especially since that’s when I started watching originally.

Last edited:
Still a minority, and of course 13 isn’t canon.
Don’t be ridiculous. Of course she is. The writing let her down, but she was great.

Five, Six and Seven aren’t canon though. Well, the programmes about them aren’t. Doctor Who is a documentary. Expect for 5, 6, and 7, which are dramas written about those regenerations by people who weren’t there. So can be disregarded, except maybe the Five Doctors. Which is a docudrama.

Anyway, Moffat tonight. Everything he wrote under RTD previously was a gem, and he’s had plenty of time off to come up with new ideas. If Boom doesn’t make us all happy, we should just close the thread and devote our energies to lobbying for a Blake’s Seven reboot.

Anyway, Moffat tonight. Everything he wrote under RTD previously was a gem, and he’s had plenty of time off to come up with new ideas. If Boom doesn’t make us all happy, we should just close the thread and devote our energies to lobbying for a Blake’s Seven reboot.
I’m nervous. Obviously he wrote some of the best episodes ever, like The Empty Child and Blink. But also some of the worst, and his tenure as show runner was one I wanted over. He favoured the overblown, smartarsery even when it didn’t make sense, and he wrote women as if he’d never met one. I hope this is more like Blink than the Time of the Doctor.

Ah, I see what happened! I was taught when the subject changes it’s a new sentence. You’re carrying on the sentence but changing the subject, even though you have the new subject in comma parenthesis, suggesting a separate clause and hence a different subject.

Just realised I've never really distinguished between RTD and Moffat, kind of almost had them down as the same person. I probably shouldn't be on this thread. :(

Back
Top Bottom