Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

Best analogy so far.

I bet the Disney contract with the BBC is gonna be a big fat mess, and they're either gonna keep producing shit and run it into the ground forever, or they can it until the contract wranglings are over and then bring it back 15 years later with another reboot.

I reckon this'll be the death of Who.

Husband will keep watching it cuz he's watched every episode. And why break the habit of a life time? I'm now just watching it for the comedic schadenfreude of it all, so I can do bitchy comments.

But it's not good. Not really fun. Not at all suspenseful.

The last good episode was when Capaldi was stuck in the tower. And how long ago was that? 😬

That’s a bit harsh on the Bill Potts era.

I have just watched Nightmare of Eden which must, surely, be the nadir of Baker’s tenure. Only another season of him to go.

Oh god. Why do people like that episode?

Because it was well written.

The suspense was there to the end. We learned a lot about the doctor's character, his determination in achieving his goals, the fact that he'd constructed a plan early on and showed the long game - not just thr quick wins (which is what the lastset shit seems to be about).

And that Capaldi carried the whole episode*by himself* with not other distractions or help - and he did a fucking great job of it.

The cinematography was amazing, the concept was amazing.

I don't thing there's anything bad to say about it. If there is if like to know what it is.

Because it was well written.

The suspense was there to the end. We learned a lot about the doctor's character, his determination in achieving his goals, the fact that he'd constructed a plan early on and showed the long game - not just thr quick wins (which is what the lastset shit seems to be about).

And that Capaldi carried the whole episode*by himself* with not other distractions or help - and he did a fucking great job of it.

The cinematography was amazing, the concept was amazing.

I don't thing there's anything bad to say about it. If there is if like to know what it is.

It’s just DLR being an edgelord maverick.

Watched the Devil's Chord and....yeah, everyone is right, it was far from great. Jinxx Monsoon was a lot of fun, but wasted by a non-sensical script. The only somewhat interesting thing about it was looking out for clues too the rest of the series. Susan and a 'twist' - and Susan Twist is an actress in this season..... the advertising hoarding for Chris Waites & the Carollers, there were undoubtedly more people who will return during the song and dance. And. what was the license plate in the ridiculously out of place VW this time? When Doc & Clara went there, it was DWW29IF, there must have been an equivalent this time.

It’s just DLR being an edgelord maverick.
I’m not doing for effect! I just found the episode boring, repetitive, and very, very silly! You can’t punch solid diamond away. Not even over a billion years. It’s harder than knuckles. It annoyed me.

Also there were inconsistencies about the clothes left lying that I don’t remember now.

But mainly, I was bored.

I don’t even want to see Moffat come back. Disney must have shitloads of writers. Rather than trusting retread Russell and just getting the Yanks to do CGI, the BBC should brief a proper massive US writer’s room on all the lore then let them have a go at it. Sick of fallible auteurs.

I’m not doing for effect! I just found the episode boring, repetitive, and very, very silly! You can’t punch solid diamond away. Not even over a billion years. It’s harder than knuckles. It annoyed me.

Also there were inconsistencies about the clothes left lying that I don’t remember now.

But mainly, I was bored.

The wider problem with the internet and indeed our whole post-digital civilisation is that people double down instead of admitting they are wrong. It will be the end of us as a species.

The wider problem with the internet and indeed our whole post-digital civilisation is that people double down instead of admitting they are wrong. It will be the end of us as a species.
I’m not one of those. I’m happy to admit when I’m wrong. I’ve even reassessed Doctor Who episodes. But when I went back to that one I still didn’t like it. It’s just taste. People have different tastes. Different things they can’t get past. For me it’s punching through solid diamond walls for billions of years, or acting as if a vanilla major chord is special.

I found Clara annoying and Martha charming. I now think Donna was the best companion of the modern era although I wasn’t convinced at the time. I loved the Capaldi/First Doctor episode. I liked the Spice Girls dance routine and hated the Twist at the End. What can I say? I’m a complicated human being.

Tate was the best actor, but the threesome with the Ponds was a more interesting dynamic than the traditional female sidekick one, and better companion-centred stories were written for them.
Euch. The boy who waited two thousand years. The girl who waited for the raggedy man. The couple who waited in 1920s New York. The audience who waited for it all to be over.

That’s a bit harsh on the Bill Potts era.

I loved that season.

Agreed enjoyed most of that season even the monk ones. I liked the idea that a virtual Doctor can cause trouble for the wong'uns and in a simple way not a magic regeneration killing all the daleks way. The first episode of the last two parter was one of the best episodes of the last decade and I enjoyed the second part even if the climax wasn't brilliant. The stakes were pretty low too especially for a Who finale. Several good sci-fi concepts, lots of baddies, a redemption arc ending with person being killed by their unreformed past self with no one ever knowing, the Doctor outgunned and willing to make the big sacrifice to save a few strangers with no deus ex machina (other than Bill's girlfriend turning up to keep the series going) to wrap everything up neatly. No fucking magic either.

Tate was the best actor, but the threesome with the Ponds was a more interesting dynamic than the traditional female sidekick one, and better companion-centred stories were written for them.
I liked it because there's always room for chemistry, but me, at 40 years old and having studied performing arts early in my adolescence, (maybe I'm too oldskool) but want an actor to hold their own without the pomp of "scriptwriting for X person/star".

My thinking is that you end up with the Johnny Depp/Pirates of the Carribbean experience where the actors makes the best out of the original but somewhat bland script, and then to the detriment of the franchise scriptwriters go "oooo xyz person does ABC really well" and then subsequently write to that strength, whist forgetting that the reason why the actor was successful was because they made a character their own on a good story but blank canvass character.

That's why I liked Tate. She flipped the script and was given, on paper, a cut out of "whiney rose" from the first season, the writers clearly trying to appease the fans. But...

I told my husband at the time not to underestimate female comediennes - they are usually the most talented actors of the bunch, better than their male counterparts because they have most to prove themselves and much much more, even for clown jobs (see: Olivia Coleman).

Husband originally poo-pood the idea of Tate (because of age and worries about chemistry mainly) but she was better than the rest. That's why I was sad to see her in the Christmas specials especially the shapeshifting ep.

She clearly had been given a script with "Donna the Character" in mind rather than "Tate the Talented Actor and Female Comidienne- let's just write" and it was to her detriment because the whole thing ended up as hammy, even though the story was actually really well thought out.

I love Tate, and I love Donna. I also love Tennant - but only when the scriptwriters are doing their job of writing a good story and not worrying about legacy and stardom and other such bollocks.

I think they've missed a bit of a trick with the music theme. They could have properly geeked out on some of the physics-science aspect of music. There is some really cool, weird stuff that goes with frequency and maths and much like the Fibonacci sequence some really weird coincidences that don't make sense. If they'd bothered to research it - science would have worked great in a science fiction! Who'd a thunk it (not RTD cleary!)?
That was very disappointing, and I was expecting to see something along those lines. :( It's a science fiction show, you have to at least indulge in some science-sounding bullshit to make things stick, even if it is off the back of a fag packet. They didn't even bother with that.

The fact you can punch a diamond as many times as you like and any deformation that results, which will be negligible relative to the damage to your hand but technically non-zero, will only last as long as the force is applied.

The Young's modulus of diamond is a shade over 1,000 gigapascals. So to create a deformation in a diamond surface of only 1% of its length along the axis of impact would require a force of 10 gigapascals, just under 1.5 million pounds per square inch. Such a deformation would be well within the elastic range of diamond's behaviour under stress.

The compressive yield strength of diamond, the force needed to permanently fracture its atomic structure, is 130 gigapascals, or 18 million pounds per square inch. Such forces are many orders of magnitude beyond those available to even the grumpiest of Scotsmen. An infinite number of blows, provided each fell short of the compressive yield strength, would have no greater effect than the first.

Assuming you could render a single blow with the necessary force, you would also need a fist made of something harder than diamond. This is problematic, as the Mohs scale of hardness is calibrated with diamond as the theoretical maximum. Unless Gallifrey has a group 14 element with a smaller atomic radius than carbon (which is a mathematical impossibility) or a more robust configuration of atomic bonds than the tetrahedron (likewise) Capaldi's Doctor would have been shit out of luck punching that wall.

e2a: I made a rounding error. Capaldi would have had to punch with a force closer to 19 million pounds per square inch.

Last edited:
It's now Disney, so this Doctor is a multiverse Doctor. There are many. Some are adopted. Some are War Doctors. Some are dancey, some are grumpy. Some are non Canon. Some are but not used ((((McCann)))).

You get the gist.

The fact you can punch a diamond as many times as you like and any deformation that results, which will be negligible relative to the damage to your hand but technically non-zero, will only last as long as the force is applied.

The Young's modulus of diamond is a shade over 1,000 gigapascals. So to create a deformation in a diamond surface of only 1% of its length along the axis of impact would require a force of 10 gigapascals, just under 1.5 million pounds per square inch. Such a deformation would be well within the elastic range of diamond's behaviour under stress.

The compressive yield strength of diamond, the force needed to permanently fracture its atomic structure, is 130 gigapascals, or 18 million pounds per square inch. Such forces are many orders of magnitude beyond those available to even the grumpiest of Scotsmen. An infinite number of blows, provided each fell short of the compressive yield strength, would have no greater effect than the first.

Assuming you could render a single blow with the necessary force, you would also need a fist made of something harder than diamond. This is problematic, as the Mohs scale of hardness is calibrated with diamond as the theoretical maximum. Unless Gallifrey has a group 14 element with a smaller atomic radius than carbon (which is a mathematical impossibility) or a more robust configuration of atomic bonds than the tetrahedron (likewise) Capaldi's doctor would have been shit out of luck punching that wall.

e2a: I made a rounding error. Capaldi would have had to punch with a force closer to 19 million pounds per square inch.
Wasn't Capaldi wearing a ring in that episode? Anyone know what it was made of?

And yet, here we are talking about the episode 10 years down the line.

Can or will we be saying the same thing about this latest utter shite?

See you in 10 year, innit.

Back
Top Bottom