Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you think population growth is a good thing?

But it is an option that we are considering for the people of the Amazon etc .. don't cut down the rainforests please we need them to breathe for us ... us who have already cut down our forests ..

There is a way back, we ask them to stop cutting down and we plant forests ourselves.

It is interesting that being within the EU, we are now not in control of our population because vast swathes of the EU population could decide to move here and we would just have to cope .. does not really make sense, and in any case is not likely but interesting that we do not have control over our population now.

It is interesting that being within the EU, we are now not in control of our population because vast swathes of the EU population could decide to move here and we would just have to cope .. does not really make sense, and in any case is not likely but interesting that we do not have control over our population now.
Just like before with the Commonwealth, then?

Vast swathes could equally decide to leave and we would just have to cope.

I don't really follow your logic here. Why do you want someone (it wouldn't be you or me) in control of the UK's population? Equally, there has long been no 'control' over the population of Exeter. Any fucker from the whole of the UK has been free to move there for hundreds of years.

I don't really follow your logic here. Why do you want someone (it wouldn't be you or me) in control of the UK's population? Equally, there has long been no 'control' over the population of Exeter. Any fucker from the whole of the UK has been free to move there for hundreds of years.

But there is some control over Exeter, there is a limited number of dwellings, if they are all full no one else can move in. If there are empty dwellings then their price should go down and that might attract people.

Then there are jobs, are there vacancies in Exeter which would attract people there .....

I am not sure I want a UK population controller, clearly it is a more complex issue than I had thought before I popped into this thread. I do however think that just carrying on increasing (which we are not doing at the mo) would be a recipe for disaster.

But there is some control over Exeter, there is a limited number of dwellings, if they are all full no one else can move in. If there are empty dwellings then their price should go down and that might attract people.

Then there are jobs, are there vacancies in Exeter which would attract people there .....

I am not sure I want a UK population controller, clearly it is a more complex issue than I had thought before I popped into this thread. I do however think that just carrying on increasing (which we are not doing at the mo) would be a recipe for disaster.
OK. And I'm not denying that there is a problem.:)

But the same limits that place some control over Exeter also apply at a larger scale. People don't move to a place unless they think they can find a job and somewhere to stay. If they can't find a job and somewhere to stay, they go elsewhere or back home. That applies at both local and international level.

..But the same limits that place some control over Exeter also apply at a larger scale. People don't move to a place unless they think they can find a job and somewhere to stay. If they can't find a job and somewhere to stay, they go elsewhere or back home. That applies at both local and international level.

But this moving to work also has its costs.

When I was young and single I moved all over the place for work. But I never had an extended family, only a nuclear one, far less beneficial for the bringing up of kids.

Look at regions like the Valleys in Wales, tens of thousands moved there for coal, but that industry has now gone. The young and single have left to find work elsewhere but the bulk of the population is still there, despite that there is not enough work to sustain them.

wolveryeti, I don't think you really understand science, but here's some:
http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1091304
I do understand science so I know that one study is not conclusive. I am also pretty fucking sure that right wing chat shows or wherever the fuck you get your information are not conclusive either.
I didn't know about this, and it's pretty interesting stuff, so thanks.

I still think that there's a reason beyond ignorance why farmers use fertiliser though (i.e. if it's obviously so much better, why isn't everyone doing it?), and I question how easily land which has been used to fertiliser can be reverted to sustainable farming.

Back
Top Bottom