Are you an audiophile?

• Yes

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
I channel I regularly watch on youtube, Techmoan did a couple of audiophile specials some time ago and explored the world of 'shaving' and 'demagnetizing' CDs to make them sound better. He wasn't convinced.

I did go over the top once using 4mm flex to go a short distance between amp and speakers. But it was leftover from a job so technically free.
I am sure you know what you are about but if you use ridiculously different tolerances You could trip your amp or affect your sound.

here is an example of a considered response

By far the largest effect this causes (which is still very small) is a slight decrease in the power going to the load--a uniform reduction in volume. It also decreases the effective "damping factor" of your amplifier, which causes a slight frequency dependent attenuation due to the speaker/crossover impedance not being constant. If you work at it, with a short, thin segment of wire (i.e., a fuse), preferably out of a material with a high thermal resistivity coefficient, you might see some non-linearity (harmonic distortion) at very low frequency. i.e., if you have a very loud 20 Hz signal, such that the wire is hotter at the peak of the waveform and cooler at the zero-crossing, the peaks will be "flattened" generating 60 Hz 3rd harmonic. All of these factors are small, though, and only the last one would be a problem even if it were a significant factor. I have actually heard of people deliberately increasing the output impedance of their amps to make them sound more tube-like (though without the harmonic distortion) In short, you shouldn't use speaker wires that heat up under normal use, but in all but the most extreme situations, it will not materially affect the sound.

I am sure you know what you are about but if you use ridiculously different tolerances You could trip your amp or affect your sound.

here is an example of a considered response

By far the largest effect this causes (which is still very small) is a slight decrease in the power going to the load--a uniform reduction in volume. It also decreases the effective "damping factor" of your amplifier, which causes a slight frequency dependent attenuation due to the speaker/crossover impedance not being constant. If you work at it, with a short, thin segment of wire (i.e., a fuse), preferably out of a material with a high thermal resistivity coefficient, you might see some non-linearity (harmonic distortion) at very low frequency. i.e., if you have a very loud 20 Hz signal, such that the wire is hotter at the peak of the waveform and cooler at the zero-crossing, the peaks will be "flattened" generating 60 Hz 3rd harmonic. All of these factors are small, though, and only the last one would be a problem even if it were a significant factor. I have actually heard of people deliberately increasing the output impedance of their amps to make them sound more tube-like (though without the harmonic distortion) In short, you shouldn't use speaker wires that heat up under normal use, but in all but the most extreme situations, it will not materially affect the sound.
Both cables were the same length. It’s true that you can fuck up your amp if for example a channel isn’t connected so I’ll give you that.

I don't recall. Ages ago while ripping it to my HD probably. Why?
I was not aware that they were still much used although I can remember that they were (meant to be) the ultimate in recording fidelity and convenience. I know someone who traded in a lifetime bluenote collection to replace it with equivalent cds. You never know what is round the corner.

Both cables were the same length. It’s true that you can fuck up your amp if for example a channel isn’t connected so I’ll give you that.
That reply is physics ,it is also googled. When I read it I could see the greater part of the rationale understand and agree with it. Upon being questioned on it however I would not stand by an answer I had not personally verified. If you are genuinely interested i would be pleased to go over the answer and why I think it is accurate. (with diagrams) I am leaving for Isle of Wight festival in a few hours, so you have a think and we can maybe do some science when I get back next monday

That reply is physics ,it is also googled. When I read it I could see the greater part of the rationale understand and agree with it. Upon being questioned on it however I would not stand by an answer I had not personally verified. If you are genuinely interested i would be pleased to go over the answer and why I think it is accurate. (with diagrams) I am leaving for Isle of Wight festival in a few hours, so you have a think and we can maybe do some science when I get back next monday
I’m a sparky. I know about resistance/impedance. I don’t need to google. So I don’t need to ‘have a think’. It sounded fine. Perhaps you can explain why it didn’t, having never heard it?

I’m a sparky. I know about resistance/impedance. I don’t need to google. So I don’t need to ‘have a think’. It sounded fine. Perhaps you can explain why it didn’t, having never heard it?
Then i misunderstood you. My apologies. It was a genuine offer to chat about something I am interested in.

Then i misunderstood you. My apologies. It was a genuine offer to chat about something I am interested in.
Oh I don’t know. An amp drives the signal like voltage drives electricity. Small cables not sufficient creates resistance/impedance. The speaker needs to be capable of receiving the signal like a socket needs to be able to receive the correct current.
Gold cables would be silly.

Everyone has cut off a bit of wire from the garage ,hooked it up and it generally works and it never matters the length or weight of the wire we hear what we hear.
my introduction to this thread was comparing the "Wall of sound" that the Grateful Dead used to a balanced input. GD used two signals on each mic stand 60mm apart a live and an ambient The signals were added together using a differential summing amp so that the sound common to both mics (the sound from the Wall) was cancelled, and only the vocals (or whatever) were amplified. No front of house required.
A balanced input (and again let me apologise if I tell you what you already know) carries a + and a - and a ground. This means any noise introduced will be common and will be cancelled when they are balanced at the amp. I still consider this to be the same technique although used differently.
I thought that I was chatting about an interesting topic and all the while I was surrounded by a bunch of sneery cunts trying to outdo themselves in the humour stakes.

Sorry I forgot about the gold cables. Gold silver and copper are the three highest conductors. so it is not science that forbids them, it is money

You can cancel frequencies out in this way although I’ve never done it myself. I thought this thread was about ripping the piss out of people paying over the odds for domestic Hi-Fi rather than discussing studio techniques.
Yes gold is a better conductor than copper but is there an actual audible difference?

I’m a music obsessive from the very early Punk days. A lot of them haven’t change there those days and spent a fortune on vinyl .
Hate to mention my stroke all the time but what a palaver setting up a record . Hell with that. I’ve sold all cassettes, CDs, etc and started digitalising my music collection from scratch.
All music stored on ICloud my only excess is a wall mounted Bluetooth Bang & Olufsen speaker. Loud and pristine sound.
Going to do all my books next.
It’s great. No constantly searching and no dust. Read/Listen to review buy download in seconds. All neatly organised.

I’m a music obsessive from the very early Punk days. A lot of them haven’t change there those days and spent a fortune on vinyl .
Hate to mention my stroke all the time but what a palaver setting up a record . Hell with that. I’ve sold all cassettes, CDs, etc and started digitalising my music collection from scratch.
All music stored on ICloud my only excess is a wall mounted Bluetooth Bang & Olufsen speaker. Loud and pristine sound.
Going to do all my books next.
It’s great. No constantly searching and no dust. Read/Listen to review buy download in seconds. All neatly organised.
Yeah, I’ve got a Technics all in one. Pretty pricey but you can spend more for better. Works for me with limited space.

my introduction to this thread was comparing the "Wall of sound" that the Grateful Dead used to a balanced input. GD used two signals on each mic stand 60mm apart a live and an ambient The signals were added together using a differential summing amp so that the sound common to both mics (the sound from the Wall) was cancelled, and only the vocals (or whatever) were amplified. No front of house required.
Which… sort of worked. Not very well. Which is why we don’t do things like that on large stages today.

Which… sort of worked. Not very well. Which is why we don’t do things like that on large stages today.
Sort of worked?
I was there
I heard the wall at Wembley and at the rainbow.
During this time I had projects involving Beast (yes I know you are) and helped organise the electro acoustic music summer school at Keele and set up the sound diffusion. I am not an audio naive person. This was the same year or so when cubase came out.
Having spent the last 3-4 years working at festivals I am of the opinion that an algorithm sets the sound. It is driven to get absolute max driven kick and snare and bass. If a human were involved there might be a bit of variety.

Still if that's what the kids want

Everyone has cut off a bit of wire from the garage ,hooked it up and it generally works and it never matters the length or weight of the wire we hear what we hear.
A balanced input (and again let me apologise if I tell you what you already know) carries a + and a - and a ground. This means any noise introduced will be common and will be cancelled when they are balanced at the amp. I still consider this to be the same technique although used differently.
I thought that I was chatting about an interesting topic and all the while I was surrounded by a bunch of sneery cunts trying to outdo themselves in the humour stakes.
I think we've got a live one here.

so, i'm messaging two vendors.

one has a pair of 1210s in huddersfield and the other a pair of 1200 mk2 in harrogate for a £100 cheaper, only thing is, the spindle on the 1200 is slightly shorter than the 1210, makes it a touch harder to mix with.

so, i'm messaging two vendors.

one has a pair of 1210s in huddersfield and the other a pair of 1200 mk2 in harrogate for a £100 cheaper, only thing is, the spindle on the 1200 is slightly shorter than the 1210, makes it a touch harder to mix with.
It also means it not original parts.

It also means it not original parts.
what do you mean?

I've own both in the past, all original, and yes the 1200 has a shorter spindle than the 1210, there are other small differences too but that is one that is most noticable.

what do you mean?

I've own both in the past, all original, and yes the 1200 has a shorter spindle than the 1210, there are other small differences too but that is one that is most noticable.
Oh, sorry, misread. I thought you meant they were identical decks but ones with shorter spindle. I missed that they were 1210 vs 1200. Apols.

Back
Top Bottom