Are you an audiophile?

• Yes

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
If you want a rock solid speaker stand then I don't think those are the right kinds of legs.

However, it most likely doesn't matter in the slightest in reality. You could probably put them on a wobbly plastic stand and detect no difference in sound at all in a blind test.

This is written by someone who has previously used concrete blocks as speaker stands and who also recognises the placebo effect as real.

Seeing as we're talking about sensible audio stuff for a bit, can anyone recommend one of those small budget Chinese amps for a set of speakers I've got spare? Doesn't need to do Bluetooth as I've got a spare Chromecast Audio I'm going to use to extend to another room.
One is doing my living room sound, and it's not half bad.

One snag: if it's powered off, it doesn't come back on without pressing the power button on the front. Which is a pain for me, as it's hidden in a cupboard.

Seeing as we're talking about sensible audio stuff for a bit, can anyone recommend one of those small budget Chinese amps for a set of speakers I've got spare? Doesn't need to do Bluetooth as I've got a spare Chromecast Audio I'm going to use to extend to another room.
I bought one of these from this seller for my pc, it is really good and still working years later:
it has an output for a sub too

it is tiny but surprisingly loud. fine for a medium size room in a house.

does not come with power lead but I had one from an old router that fitted. (needs to be 12v dc)

Last edited:
I was thinking there was a big thread on those amps but I think this is all there is

theres a lot in this thread about them

I remember once selling a pair of speaker stands from a prominent audio brand on eBay. They were in fact of a type that needed filling with sand to weight them down and obviously I removed the sand before shipping, to reduce the delivery cost for the buyer.

It was a few days after he received them I got a message asking where I’d bought my sand from as he was having trouble finding the right spec. Turns out he‘d read some home hifi magazine website a review of them and acoustically rated sand had been recommended as essential for proper performance (no doubt was being sold through the ads in the print version of the same magazine).

That tells me all I need to know about how the home hifi / home cinema industry sells to “audiophiles”.

I have one of these

It's fine sound-wise. It has some slightly annoying behaviours, including a kind of cut-out that sometimes happen if I restart the thing that feeds its input, then you have to wait a few minutes for it to reset itself. And the volume control has become a bit erratic.

As long as a stand is suitably heavy and either has pointy spiky feet or soft and squishy feet, it’s fairly safe to say the audible effect of one brand verses another is zero.
Arguable but certainly the point I was making to teuchter when he said something solid would be the same as "wobbly plastic stands".

If you want a rock solid speaker stand then I don't think those are the right kinds of legs.

However, it most likely doesn't matter in the slightest in reality. You could probably put them on a wobbly plastic stand and detect no difference in sound at all in a blind test.

This is written by someone who has previously used concrete blocks as speaker stands and who also recognises the placebo effect as real.
yeah, had a think last night. my idea maybe isn't the best as the stands with those hairpin legs will be very tall and very top heavy, prone to being knocked over.

I am now thinking of using a single pole like this mounted on to a solid base at least the size of the top shelf part.

the tube could be loaded with sand too.
s-l1600.jpg

Arguable but certainly the point I was making to teuchter when he said something solid would be the same as "wobbly plastic stands".
Well, I said it's probable that there'd be no audible difference in the sound. That's for moody who is making the stands for relatively small speakers in a domestic setting which aren't really dealing with low frequencies. There was some hyperbole in saying wobbly plastic stands. Of course if they were really wobbly stands that had bits in them that would resonate then maybe it would be a problem.

I always thought that the spiky feet were as much about not annoying the neighbours with frequencies through floor boards as with how the cabinets would sound.

almost completed my setup, just the mixer to drop in. was thinking of an analogue mixer but will be using either traktor or serato so I guess that defeats the idea of going analogue. so a decent 2 channel mixer. I'm thinking of a djm 450.

equipment so far,

2x technics 1210 mk2
2x kef q35.2
2 x xtz 99.26
2x xtz passive crossovers
1 arcam alpha 10

IMG_0999.JPG

almost completed my setup, just the mixer to drop in. was thinking of an analogue mixer but will be using either traktor or serato so I guess that defeats the idea of going analogue. so a decent 2 channel mixer. I'm thinking of a djm 450.

equipment so far,

2x technics 1210 mk2
2x kef q35.2
2 x xtz 99.26
2x xtz passive crossovers
1 arcam alpha 10

View attachment 383095
Nice, but where are your cable elevators? Have you burned in all the cables? Replaced your power cables with ones woven from unicorn tears?

No room on this thread if not I’m afraid.

started a huge bun fight over on a fb group asking whether to get a digital mixer or an analogue one with external souncard.

will be using traktor/serato so i thought it's pointless to get an analogue mixer if i'm running it through a soundcard.

Back
Top Bottom