Are you an audiophile?

• Yes

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
Lol no, I've ex club speakers and a logitech 5.1 system. None of which is used. It supports my desk tho. Previous amp set set on fire after bridging.

Oh, sorry, misread. I thought you meant they were identical decks but ones with shorter spindle. I missed that they were 1210 vs 1200. Apols.
Technics 1200 = silver
Technics 1210 = black

Apart from that I thought they were identical?

moody where did you get this idea about a shorter spindle?

God knows how many of both I’ve used over the years and never noticed a difference. That said I only own 1210’s… 3 of the bastards in fact

Technics 1200 = silver
Technics 1210 = black

Apart from that I thought they were identical?

moody where did you get this idea about a shorter spindle?

God knows how many of both I’ve used over the years and never noticed a difference. That said I only own 1210’s… 3 of the bastards in fact
I've owned a both sets in the past, I swear the spindles are slightly shorter on the 1200s, unless the set I owned were modified or had parts replaced before I got them

have gone for the 1210s in the end.

could of saved £200 by getting the 1200s but I've been looking to get some decks for ages and have been tortured a few times by having the cash then a bill comes up or similar.

so I'm gonna pay a bit more, treat myself and go for a really well looked after pair of 1210s.

getting a train from sheffield to huddersfield to collect them tomorrow then taxi back to sheffield.

all been arranged.

doubt i'll get much sleep tonight.

need some speaker stands for my xtz, they have a big footprint, like 20x32cm.

I can't find any tall ones that would be suitable. I also want the stands to fit over my floorstanders so the smaller speakers are on top in effect.

so I'm gonna have a go at making my own. thinking of using kitchen worktop off cut and heavy duty hairpin legs, 100cm tall.

these would slot right over my floorstanders and I'll make sure there is a spare inch or two space inside the legs so if I ever change the floorstanders in the future there will be room.

Last edited:
Unless the stands are extremely rigid, they will cause the speaker you put on them to sound worse as they will move, relative the cone, making the cone less effective. Or something.
Try looking at studiospares for non woo audio stuff.

Unless the stands are extremely rigid, they will cause the speaker you put on them to sound worse as they will move, relative the cone, making the cone less effective. Or something.
Try looking at studiospares for non woo audio stuff.
will be fine, have you seen how thick the worktop is?

334774136_8950517758323312_295486870986548281_n.jpg

Seeing as we're talking about sensible audio stuff for a bit, can anyone recommend one of those small budget Chinese amps for a set of speakers I've got spare? Doesn't need to do Bluetooth as I've got a spare Chromecast Audio I'm going to use to extend to another room.

Seeing as we're talking about sensible audio stuff for a bit, can anyone recommend one of those small budget Chinese amps for a set of speakers I've got spare? Doesn't need to do Bluetooth as I've got a spare Chromecast Audio I'm going to use to extend to another room.

How much are you looking to spend and why does it need to be a Chinese one?

How much are you looking to spend and why does it need to be a Chinese one?

Not sure about budget. It doesn't need to be Chinese, but I don't want an old full sized one as there's no space for it where it's going and I belive they do some half decent cheap small ones on places like Ali Express.

I'd avoid avoid AliExpress like the plague full of scammers.

Mission/Cryrus do small amps by width. Quite highly rated too. See if you can get one second hand.

The marantz PM6 series aren't massive and are decent too. There should be no end of them on eBay at a reasonable price. They are not small but they are not massive like the old style amps.

need some speaker stands for my xtz, they have a big footprint, like 20x32cm.

I can't find any tall ones that would be suitable. I also want the stands to fit over my floorstanders so the smaller speakers are on top in effect.

so I'm gonna have a go at making my own. thinking of using kitchen worktop of cut and heavy duty hairpin legs, 100cm tall.

these would slot right over my floorstanders and I'll make sure there is a spare inch or two space inside the legs so if I ever change the floorstanders in the future there will be room.

Nah mate, got to be ebony, for the vibration damping. I can make you some for the low low price of £24,995 if you want.

I'd avoid avoid AliExpress like the plague full of scammers.

Mission/Cryrus do small amps by width. Quite highly rated too. See if you can get one second hand.

The marantz PM6 series aren't massive and are decent too. There should be no end of them on eBay at a reasonable price. They are not small but they are not massive like the old style amps.
Rega as well but again not cheap.

This would serve you well if you are on a budget. I used to have a silver one (most of them are black) and the metallic front has a lovely premium feel to it.

Serious note: what is the core on that worktop? Also rigidity is going to be as much in the joinery as in the material, so you need to get that right. And any exposed edges will look shit and be vulnerable to moisture unless you edge them.
I have the edging.

the core is prob mdf. which most speaker cabinets are made from anyhow.

also, the legs are very heavy solid metal with rubber bits on the bottom in place of feet

seen this solid oak work top down the road. think i'm gonna buy this to use with some of these.

it's 40mm thick. should be fine.

71vsVI8OiHS.jpg355118756_9419588401448503_7318344280607754756_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom