Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
I can see audiophiles having conniptions at the cups and saucers! :D

Looks great.
yeah they do rattle a bit at volume, might have to move them.

anyhow, the set up is only temp as I have some much better speakers but I need to replace the ribbon tweeters when I get some spare cash so all that you can see will be going for sale soon.

yeah they do rattle a bit at volume, might have to move them.

anyhow, the set up is only temp as I have some much better speakers but I need to replace the ribbon tweeters when I get some spare cash so all that you can see will be going for sale soon.

All you need is some £400 per sq ft acoustic matting and they’ll be fine.

No, the radius of your average cup creates resonant frequencies which are related to various aspects of bodily movement, and they help reduce the distortion of the soundscape caused be people moving around in the room, so they are essential.

Need to make sure you have the right size cup though depending on whether you are playing vinyl 7", 12", CDs or any tape-reel system because of the different sizes of the circles involved in those leading to different resonant frequencies, which need the right sized circle of cup to be properly picked up.
Note that these won't help with MP3s unless your MP3 player is circular, but most are rectangles, and have solid state drives
Subnote: works with minidisks and HDDs as these have circular platters, but it's hard to see the size of the platter for an HDD.

Best thing to do imo is to try some different cups and saucers until you find the combination that creates the soundstage you want.

ps: I can sell you a set of specially designed resonant frequency ceramic cups and saucers if you want. Don't try to drink out of them though, lol. £500-£750 each or £1,200 for the set covering minidisks to 12" vinyl.

managed to find and get a really good deal on the replacement tweeters I need for the pair of xtz I have sitting in a cupboard right now.

I emailed the speaker manufacturers and they still had some.

monitor audio based the tweeter that goes into their platinum series speakers on this design so I'm expecting great things.

download (1).jpeg

Open Part Surgery.
Had these real nice xtz in a cupboard for a few months now as needed a tweeter replacing, not just any tweeter a faffing ribbon tweeter that I managed to find a pair in Sweden.
Was waiting for a friend to solder but sick of waiting for other people so thought I'd give it a go myself. Proper fiddly to say the least, wires inside were so short, had to get my housemate to help but now all done and sounding as they should.

IMG_0744.JPGIMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0747.JPG

notice the logos on the tweeter plates are the correct way around now which makes me think someone has had them apart previously

groan, still crackling at low frequencies.

might be the cross over or bass driver.

noticed couple of the screws that hold the woofers in are loose and cannot be tightened.

this is costing me a fortune

coming from both speakers.

May have already been considered but is it definitely the speakers?. Bit of coincidence that it's happening to both at the same time.

May have already been considered but is it definitely the speakers?. Bit of coincidence that it's happening to both at the same time.
my other speakers work fine on same amp

it's the crossover. I have removed the links between the binding posts. I have ran the speaker wires in the the LF terminals and turned the amp up, no distortion, then I plugged amp in the HF terminal and there is the distortion.crackle.
considering I have just put brand new tweeters in, it has to be the crossovers?

back to using passive crossovers now, got mids and highs going to xtzs and lf going to my kefs.

all sound amazing but frustrated that there is an issue when using the xtz alone.

I'm sure it's something simpleIMG_0748.JPG

so, with the external cross overs everything sounds really sweet, in fact surprised at how good it sounds.

shame I have an issue where I can't use the xtz alone atm, need to get them checked out for sure.

they have a really low reach on the mids which go really well with the lows the crossovers are sending to my floorstanders.

the clarity of the xtzs is really nice, brand new tweeters prob helps a fair bit.

IMG_0752.JPG

Back
Top Bottom