Are you an audiophile?

• Yes

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 83 36.1%
  • Audiophiles are deluded bullshitters

Votes: 116 50.4%

• Total voters
yeah this is where im at, but they inevitably end up all frayed and sticking out, and some speaker wire ive got is really thick and just wont go in the hole neatly, if at all

this does look tidy tbf
View attachment 229362
That probably wouldn't fit. It'll be a standard 4mms plug, and even if it did fit, the area of the electrical connection would be tiny.
Your best bet would be to replace those horrible connectors on the amp with proper binding posts.

H252360R_1.jpg

Monacor-STA-850D.jpg

incidentally, this is an amp i have - audio nerds might find it interesting as it is bizarre - its got 8 speaker outs, all being used, and each speaker has its own volume control - very handy!
but each speaker is lined up with its own input - you cant jsut put a stereo in to it, you need to input the signal 8 times too! ive got some funky signal splitting going on to achieve that. not ideal, but it works for me

though i dont really understand the bridge function - i dont think that would help me, but if anyone knows otherwise, let me know

H252360R_1.jpg

Monacor-STA-850D.jpg

incidentally, this is an amp i have - audio nerds might find it interesting as it is bizarre - its got 8 speaker outs, all being used, and each speaker has its own volume control - very handy!
but each speaker is lined up with its own input - you cant jsut put a stereo in to it, you need to input the signal 8 times too! ive got some funky signal splitting going on to achieve that. not ideal, but it works for me

though i dont really understand the bridge function - i dont think that would help me, but if anyone knows otherwise, let me know
is this being sent to 4 separate listening areas?

say more please.... how what etc
The connectors are in banks of 4. Each bank appears to be held in with two screws, so removing the 8 screws will leave you with 4x rectangular holes. Cut 4 small plates to cover the holes, drill 4 holes in each for binding posts and two holes to mount the plate. Much better job.
I hate those little springy speaker connectors.

The connectors are in banks of 4. Each bank appears to be held in with two screws, so removing the 8 screws will leave you with 4x rectangular holes. Cut 4 small plates to cover the holes, drill 4 holes in each for binding posts and two holes to mount the plate. Much better job.
I hate those little springy speaker connectors.
beyond me

me too hate them

That probably wouldn't fit. It'll be a standard 4mms plug, and even if it did fit, the area of the electrical connection would be tiny.
Your best bet would be to replace those horrible connectors on the amp with proper binding posts.
I think that's what my Cambridge Audio amp has, actually - my previous post must have been an earlier amp. Yes, the posts are ideal - good chunky space to get a cable in there and properly cinched down. And mine, incidentally, have 4mm sockets for...banana plugs. I don't use them, because they stick out at the back too much for my IKEA KÄRDBÖRDBOX media unit to accommodate.

I’m just going to say this - McIntosh amps look cool :oops:

TBH, I'm old enough to remember valve amps which looked the way they did for functional reasons, so I find this ersatz quasi-faux-retro thing leaves me rather cold. Especially when they stick Gothic lettering up the sides.

So, yeah, I reckon that Raincoat32 thing probably fits the vibe of this thread quite well :D

1st, tentative venture into this thread...and a little nervous( aware that my kit is not audiophile material at all)...but I've recently saved myself a few hundred quid by not buying a new system for my front room.

My 1990 Sony MHC 3600 has always been a belter for my little room (50W per channel), but as is the way with these things, first one of the cassette decks jammed, then the other (belts, I'm told), but the last straw was that recently the CD unit packed up :(

So, looking at the Richer website I'd settled on the idea of a new Denon mini system with a couple of half decent speakers...but having given 3 to 6 hundred pounds a bit go a thought...and being a bit of a skinflint...I suddenly remembered that under the stairs, gathering dust, was an old Sony separates CD player (of roughly the same vintage) that I'd inherited years ago.

So, I had a scrabble through my old cable box and found a pretty decent (gold tipped?) audio cable, plugged it into the DAT input channel on the back and, hey presto...great sound quality! :)

Now, knowing pretty much nothing about these matters, I'm not certain if this is just me deceiving myself, but the newly rigged system sounds (to my ears) even better than the old integrated system was. The quality if really nice and far more oomph than I could ever use without seriously upsetting the neighbours:D

Anyway, this child of a war child had made do and mended and, for the time being saved a pile of dosh and spent the last week listening to albums as they should be played and not relying on the streaming.

What's more the new/old player doesn't look at all out of place on top of the old system! Good for another 30 years?😀

1599396722380.png

.great sound quality! :)

Are you sure?
I can't see what interconnects you are using but I expect you could benefit from those Valhalla cables, they will deepen your soundscape and enrich your bass frequencies whilst leaving your trebles sounding sharp and tingly.
Add in some cable lifters to ensure vibrations from the floor/wall do not affect your transmission and you're well on your way to finding the ideal sound for your room.
Sadly the $1,100 CD Lathe is no longer available because this would truly elevate your music listening pleasure, just like the site describes:
1599398152011.png
Designed to “true” the shape of the CD to reduce mechanical jitter, the ADS also trims the edge of the CD to a 38° angle to reduce laser scatter. This new edge is then treated with the included black marker. This 60-second process results in pronounced improvements in focus, transient attack, detail and transparency.

And of course you'll want to be replacing that CD player. I think the £12,000 Audio Resarch SE9 is probably right for you: " Regardless of parameter – textures, space, attack, neutrality – the REF CD9 truly excels"

HTH.

Have we had these on the thread before?

What the heck is it? Brilliant Pebbles is a unique and comprehensive system for tuning the room and audio system.

Brilliant Pebbles is an original concept of Machina Dynamica. Brilliant Pebbles capitalizes on two specific properties of mineral crystals; these properties - vibration absorption and Radio Frequency Interference/Electromagnetic Interference (RFI/EMI) absorption - are the consequence of atomic mechanisms in the crystals' highly symmetrical structures. But, not necessarily, as we will see below, the consequence of piezoelectricity.

In addition to vibration dissipation characteristics, Brilliant Pebbles exhibits RFI/EMI absorption characteristics which, like vibration absorption, is accomplished via atomic mechanisms in the crystal lattice. Electromagnetic fields are produced by electronic components and elements that can interfere with audio system performance. Each mineral type in the Brilliant Pebbles possesses a unique, frequency-specific (i.e., narrow band) absorption characteristic; consequently, the variety of mineral types provides a much wider band of RFI/EMI absorption than could a single crystal type. This electromagnetic absorption property of Brilliant Pebbles is especially evident when the smallest size "Mikro" is placed on top of Quantum Symphony or Quantum ElectroClear line stabilizers.
Experience in a great many systems has shown that Brilliant Pebbles can sometimes affect the sound in unpredictable ways. So, some experimentation is usually necessary to establish ideal locations for Brilliant Pebbles in a given room/system. NOTE: It is recommended that a sound pressure meter and test tone (315 Hz or thereabouts) be used to establish ideal locations around the room - where highest acoustic peaks are found. For example, the acoustic peak in a room corner can often be located a foot or two from the actual corner. A typical room/system will yield quite a number of these "ideal locations" for Brilliant Pebbles. Brilliant Pebbles is capable of dramatically lowering audio noise and distortion - perhaps especially in systems where great pains have already been taken to ensure the highest possible performance

1599398769336.png

And surely what's in the bags need to be perfectly matched or it could upset the stereo field.
Hmmm, call me a sceptic but I'm not 100% sure there is real science behind this.

TBH, I'm old enough to remember valve amps which looked the way they did for functional reasons, so I find this ersatz quasi-faux-retro thing leaves me rather cold. Especially when they stick Gothic lettering up the sides.

So, yeah, I reckon that Raincoat32 thing probably fits the vibe of this thread quite well :D

Added bonus with a decent valve amp is that it's so inefficient that it throws out enough heat to toast bread or crumpets!

Not really but my set up consists of a Marantz Pearl Lite, Marantz CD6006, Mission QX2 speakers and Van Damme Cables (not that I think cable make any difference over a short distance)

I'm happy with the set up but can't wait to movr to a bigger apartment so I can upgrade my speakers to some floor standers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom