Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Why don’t you just get the DVDs/downloads?
That can get expensive quite quickly. Plus not everyone has the storage for a big movie collection.

Also if it's at dvd quality it will probably look like arse on your 4k tv.

edited to add

also also if you are already paying for a streaming service that has other similar titles in it's collection it does come across as very irritating.
The cutting up and parceling out media into specific services makes you have to be picky about what you chose to subscribe too.

Last edited:
Wow... Today’s episode of WandaVision is superb imo. Just fucking superb. I’ll leave it at that.

Just watched it - agree 100%.

I just can't believe how effectively and brilliantly that show messes with your head - obviously theres the main plot but also the way it deliberately spools through, laughs at and uses brilliantly every sitcom trope its possible to have (the re-casting most obviously, but also the plot holes, time distortions, collecting supporting characters from other shows for no reason, laugh tracks, credit sequences etc etc) both in the Westview reality and outside it as well.

It should be absolute crap, and TBH did deliberately present itself as such for the first couple of episodes, but its just got better and better to the point that after watching yesterday's episode I really think that was the best thing the MCU has ever filmed. It was brilliant, and I just hope Loki is as good as that is.

I’m enjoying it but feel at a bit of a disadvantage cos I’m not familiar with the characters from the films - which films are they in? Some of these superheroes are in the Avengers films for about one minute with no exposition that’s it’s impossible to tell what they’re there for

I’m enjoying it but feel at a bit of a disadvantage cos I’m not familiar with the characters from the films - which films are they in? Some of these superheroes are in the Avengers films for about one minute with no exposition that’s it’s impossible to tell what they’re there for
My lockdown project this time was watching every Marvel movie in chronological order with my boys, so I inadvertently set myself up perfectly for Wandavision :D

Basically Wanda and her twin brother Pietro were from an Eastern European country called Sokovia that was destroyed in an Avengers movie, Pietro died and she eventually joined the Avengers. Vision was one of Tony Stark/Ironman's robots who was brought to life with one of the Infinity Stones (intergalactic power stones). Super big baddie Thanos defeated the Avengers, including Wanda & Vision, took the stone from Vision's head (killing him) which completed his collection of Infinity Stones and gave him the power to snap his fingers and kill half of all life in the universe including Wanda.
HOWEVER 5 years later the Avengers managed to find a way to reverse what Thanos had done and brought back all the people who had been "snapped", so Wanda came back to life and found Vision was dead.
Monica (who appears as a child in the Captain Marvel movie which was set in the 90s) was also one of those "snapped" so missed 5 years and came back to find her mum had died.
Dr Darcy Lewis was a minor character in the Thor movies. Jimmy Woo was in the Antman movies I guess as Antman's kind of parole officer, as he was under house arrest after the events that lead to Sovokia being destroyed.

My lockdown project this time was watching every Marvel movie in chronological order with my boys, so I inadvertently set myself up perfectly for Wandavision :D
I've been working my way through them all including all the TV series too.
It's been a mission!!

BTW, in case you peeps didn’t see it, there is an interesting reveal at the end of the credits...
I watched all four minutes (!) of credits for the first two episodes, saw no extras and didnt bother again until ep7, when I saw one had snuck in. Probably a couple omre at least I misssed

Has The Muppet Show dated? Is it still funny? It has a lot of guests unknown in the UK, but I don't remember that being a problem as a kid.
I watched the first few minutes of S1E01 last night, but Mana Mana was the first sketch and I got sucked into a YouTube rabbithole watching different versions - Giorgio Moroder did a version of it before the Muppets came along!

My Wandavision finale review.

Shite.

What seemed like a really interesting and quirky idea quickly morphs into another by the book MCU film. Boring CGI nothingness.

My Wandavision finale review.

Shite.

What seemed like a really interesting and quirky idea quickly morphs into another by the book MCU film. Boring CGI nothingness.
I agree.
It just descended into the usual borefest of bad CGI of caped weirdos floating in the dark air surrounded by clouds and shooting lasers at each other.

I agree.
It just descended into the usual borefest of bad CGI of caped weirdos floating in the dark air surrounded by clouds and shooting lasers at each other.
And why did anything happen one way or another? Just because they said it did, and that's why it happened.
No big reveals, wasn't 'Agatha after all', it was Wanda and Agatha was there.
Why did White vision stop? because it was time to stop fighting.
Darcy ended up with nothing to do. . . . even just left without even being on screen.

The only really set up and pay off that I can think of was that ant man (in another film) got that police man into close up magic.

I wouldn’t describe it as shit, but as someone who is pretty bored of the superhero genre in general, this episode appealed a lot less. I guess they were always going to have a degree of superhero shit in a superhero universe series. Still, overall I still enjoyed the series.

It was just like those boring Avengers films that mostly take place in the dark amongst clouds probs for CGI reasons, in which a load of people behave inexplicably while shooting coloured lasers at each other through their eyes or hands until you no longer care what’s going on.

Despite ATOMIC SUPLEX investing in my scepticism, I’ve actually not hated some of the more recent episodes. The Agatha reveal was fun, the Malcolm in the Middle episode was a return to format plus a lot of innovative plot weirdness, and last week’s Child-Wanda stuff was interesting, as backstories theme to be. Plus the goddess Kathryn Hahn in a Buffy S1 dungeon and a bizarre polo-neck witchy costume? That’s always going to be good value.

This week, though... Even by Avengers standards it was just really dull. I had to rewind to the fifth minute twice because I kept getting distracted and realising at about the eight minute mark that I’d missed a chunk. In the end I stopped caring what I’d missed. And that’s a fail in anyone’s book.

After the second episode I read an article about What might be going on. Reviewers had only been sent the first two episodes so theories were rampant. The character of Wanda has been dealt with inconsistently in the comics, over the decades. She’s been ret-conned a number of times, once with the twins, but later without. I think the writers used this narrative disregard inventively and ingeniously. Ultimately, though, I didn’t care enough about Wanda and Vusion and the kids for this episode to be compelling. Especially since they had spent the last few episodes estranged. A film gives a much better tempo fir building attachment and loss; I found it hard to maintain my investment over the weekly interruption. But then, the USP of this series was the episodic structure.

Ultimately, I’m very glad they did it. Creatively it was insanely bold, and it has been a more engaging treatment than that given to any other female superhero (including on the DC side).
Perhaps it’d work better as a box-set binge.

I found the ending episode a bit underwhelming too.
It left more unanswered than it answered so the best reveal of the show ended up being last week.
I was also hoping for Agatha to be a bit more... intresting. I was hoping she was a force of chaos here to break the seal on Wanda's power but not just to be the bad guy but because she had another agenda.
I guess they managed to leave enough unsaid that if they want to reveal that was what she was intending to do in a later film they can do that. particularly if she got a positive fan reaction from this series.
the weird hand wave of the explanation for xmen quicksilver was strange too.

Though the first post credit scene looks like we might see captain 'motherfucking' eyepatch again.
The second post credits scene is very much a 'see you in multiverse of madness' trailer.

Well, I thought the last episode was great. After reading these comments I was expecting the avengers to turn up on masse. I am pissed, but that was a clever merging of the various marvel franchises and set up for tv series’ along with a neatly contained single season drama.

Don't get me wrong i'm not saying it was a stinker.

I just feel like...

Actually I feel like it's like a story arc in a comic book. It tells a story using characters we know, it introduces a few new characters and then ends on a note that concludes that particular story but also leaves everything open for the next step.
Now I know that is also basically true of the films too but in those it's condensed down and feels more like a complete story. With this one I almost expect them to release a tie in issue or something.

It’s launching marvel on telly, it was always gonna lead to tie ins

I’ll say more when sober, but as someone who’s seen almost all the films (without being a humongous fan, I think quite a few are smart for that kind of thing) and read the original comics it brought everything together and provided a launchpad neatly. Whilst being a decent self contained story.

We all saw the two post credits scenes, right?

It’s launching marvel on telly, it was always gonna lead to tie ins

I’ll say more when sober, but as someone who’s seen almost all the films (without being a humongous fan, I think quite a few are smart for that kind of thing) and read the original comics it brought everything together and provided a launchpad neatly. Whilst being a decent self contained story.

We all saw the two post credits scenes, right?
No. Is the second one important?

No. Is the second one important?
not really, its just obviously set up for the next series as she learns her powers (first seasons are always about the hero discovering their true powers).

Evan Peters was a nice touch because, whilst Pietro died in Civil War, as played by Aaron Taylor-Peters, Evan P played him in the 20th Century Fox franchise that did X-Men, which Marvel has just got the rights back to. Hence we are stating to see the merger of the two alternate universes. Which you may not dig, but its what Marvel do.

Minor thing, but it did irritate me they established a precedent of not having post-credit sequences, and then introduced them for the last three episodes. I missed the 'cameo' in the penultimate episode because I wasn't expecting there to be one.
not really, its just obviously set up for the next series as she learns her powers (first seasons are always about the hero discovering their true powers).
I believe the popular opinion is it's setting up her appearance in the next Dr. Strange film, Multiverse of Madness

Minor thing, but it did irritate me they established a precedent of not having post-credit sequences, and then introduced them for the last three episodes. I missed the 'cameo' in the penultimate episode because I wasn't expecting there to be one.
I believe the popular opinion is it's setting up her appearance in the next Dr. Strange film, Multiverse of Madness
The running time left is always a clue

The running time left is always a clue
But, specifically with Wandavision, their credits are so bloody long it can be not noticeable.

Also, the run time really fluctuates quite dramatically from one ep. to the next, so again it's not clear if the credits are that much longer (because, again, it's not like I was paying particularly close attention to how much time was left at the end of the first few episodes, so wouldn't notice "oh, there's more time left than there was before).

But, specifically with Wandavision, their credits are so bloody long it can be not noticeable.

Also, the run time really fluctuates quite dramatically from one ep. to the next, so again it's not clear if the credits are that much longer (because, again, it's not like I was paying particularly close attention to how much time was left at the end of the first few episodes, so wouldn't notice "oh, there's more time left than there was before).
Six bloody minutes last night! Of which two were actual sequences, but still - four minutes of credits!

It was enough for me to check. I’m always checking on running time anyway as I get so impatient

Back
Top Bottom