Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

I put it on today to watch some of that super hero stuff and it was all set to German for some reason.

Anyway. These avengers are all a bit dull aren't they.
I like the jokey bits like the ant man, the galaxy guys and thor, but the fighting is ever so tedious. I've only got it for three months so I have to do a bit of a marathon of marvel, Star Wars (new ones) and some Pixar I guess.

I put it on today to watch some of that super hero stuff and it was all set to German for some reason.

Anyway. These avengers are all a bit dull aren't they.
I like the jokey bits like the ant man, the galaxy guys and thor, but the fighting is ever so tedious. I've only got it for three months so I have to do a bit of a marathon of marvel, Star Wars (new ones) and some Pixar I guess.
I find the ever-present green screen in most of the Marvel films off-putting as well. Yes, special effects are needed in such genre. But they abuse the green screen and then some. You wonder if they managed to film even a single day outdoors and without a digital background in some of those films...

I find the ever-present green screen in most of the Marvel films off-putting as well. Yes, special effects are needed in such genre. But they abuse the green screen and then some. You wonder if they managed to film even a single day outdoors and without a digital background in some of those films...
Agreed. I assume these people are at the best in the biz, but it looks so shite and it's relentless. Not just the backgrounds. The hulk looks more like Shrek than something real, and even the non CGI people seem to be wearing CGI jumpsuits. Seemed somehow less bad in Guardians of the galaxy and ragnarock for some reason. Maybe how it's used in the action or the director? Age of ultron was absolutely dreadful.

Wanda vision episode 4.
I feel like they have blown their load waaaaay too early. What could have been a very interesting reveal in parts or a bit further down the line feels too rushed and massively disappointing before more of the internal world development. Boo. I bet this was for the people who didn't like the weekly sitcom format. It's like revealing the truth about life on mars in the 4th episode. Pfft.

Wanda vision episode 4.
I feel like they have blown their load waaaaay too early. What could have been a very interesting reveal in parts or a bit further down the line feels too rushed and massively disappointing before more of the internal world development. Boo. I bet this was for the people who didn't like the weekly sitcom format. It's like revealing the truth about life on mars in the 4th episode. Pfft.
Well, in this instance my take on this episode is diametrically the opposite. I think the revelations and the progression of the story were actually spot on and needed.

I mean, most if not all of those who have watched the first three episodes will have by now worked out that the world the main characters live in is a fake escapism universe created by Wanda to deal with the grief of what has really happened to her lover. . So it would have been extremely disappointing if that had been meant to be the big twist of this 8-part story, when it’s crystal clear from early on.

Everyone watching knows there’s far more than meets the eye about the world they live in, so far better to get all these reveals out of the way now. At least now we feel on more uncharted territory than we did last week- I do, at least.

I also enjoyed the kind-of 4th wall breakage concept here, not with us the audience but between Wanda’s world and the present-day SWORD agents, who are watching the same sitcom episodes we watched at the beginning of the series, canned laughs and all.[/However this series pans out, credit where its due for the unusual plot devices.

Well, in this instance my take on this episode is diametrically the opposite. I think the revelations and the progression of the story were actually spot on and needed.

I mean, most if not all of those who have watched the first three episodes will have by now worked out that the world the main characters live in is a fake escapism universe created by Wanda to deal with the grief of what has really happened to her lover. . So it would have been extremely disappointing if that had been meant to be the big twist of this 8-part story, when it’s crystal clear from early on.

Everyone watching knows there’s far more than meets the eye about the world they live in, so far better to get all these reveals out of the way now. At least now we feel on more uncharted territory than we did last week- I do, at least.

I also enjoyed the kind-of 4th wall breakage concept here, not with us the audience but between Wanda’s world and the present-day SWORD agents, who are watching the same sitcom episodes we watched at the beginning of the series, canned laughs and all.[/However this series pans out, credit where its due for the unusual plot devices.
Yes we all knew it was a world created by Wanda or a world she was trapped in or something. We already know it is an area surrounded by sword agents (I was already pissed off with the end of ep three actually). Would have liked some more slowly unraveling weirdness and speculation as to exactly what is going down before a whole episode of reveal of every single thing in one go.
I guess I was just disappointed to see some normal marvel stuff, which I find quite dull, rather than something a bit different. In the past I've enjoyed comic books like the animal man reboot where he discovered he has already been rebooted before and is in fact just a comic book story about a character who discovers he is just a character in a comic book and any attempt to escape is just bullshit because it's just part of the story however it is drawn or written.

I would agree that the unusual nature of the first three episodes was a major part of the enjoyment of this series. But I’m happy to give it the benefit of the doubt. This is likely as not a mid-series ‘breakaway’ episode, and surely next week we’ll be returning to Wanda’s world...

They desperately need fresh content if they want people to keep their subscription rolling. Once you’ve watched the pre-existing stuff there has been precious little new content worth bothering with, Mandalorian excluded of course.

Yeah, I signed up for 1 month so I could watch Soul, and then watched Mandalorian which I absolutely loved. But there is little else that appealed so I didn't continue with t subscription.

Giving the Skywalker Star Wars film a go. So far so shite. Why didn't they write an actual story before making these films? It's so insane that the three films so obviously don't match up. Bloody idiots.

Oh man this film is woeful. It looks the part but apart from it obviously being written detached from the other film(s) it's sooo bad, the script and dialogue are like a 10 year olds last minute home work.

Giving the Skywalker Star Wars film a go. So far so shite. Why didn't they write an actual story before making these films? It's so insane that the three films so obviously don't match up. Bloody idiots.
Presumably you’re talking about the recent sequel trilogy? Yes, it certainly was the root of all the problems with it, and incomprehensible that it could happen in the first place. Surely the very principle of a trilogy is that it is a story told in three parts

But incredibly this was more like that game kids play in the classroom where you build up a tale randomly and each pupil adds a sentence.

It might have still turned out okay, but AA Abrams decided to film a reboot homage to the original trilogy (or whoever wrote the script decided it that way), so even the most dedicated filmmaker couldn’t have rescued the storyline of the trilogy.

The prequel trilogy was shit but at least it had a coherent story arc ffs.

Presumably you’re talking about the recent sequel trilogy? Yes, it certainly was the root of all the problems with it, and incomprehensible that it could happen in the first place. Surely the very principle of a trilogy is that it is a story told in three parts

But incredibly this was more like that game kids play in the classroom where you build up a tale randomly and each pupil adds a sentence.

It might have still turned out okay, but AA Abrams decided to film a reboot homage to the original trilogy (or whoever wrote the script decided it that way), so even the most dedicated filmmaker couldn’t have rescued the storyline of the trilogy.

The prequel trilogy was shit but at least it had a coherent story arc ffs.
Yep. This really looks far better than the prequels, but they were bad in different ways. I don't think these newer films make them look better in comparison. What is absolutely insane is that the problems are all so obvious, and should never have made it anywhere near actual production. Fuck knows what went on behind the scenes. Just writing and agreeing the story for the three films first would have solved a lot. . . . then less unnecessary plot and characters. It's an old swashbuckling action adventure story like raiders and should have been quite simple with a couple of reveals, twists and turns, a bit of comedy and action.
Anyway, it seems its not compelling enough to finish tonight. Maybe I'm too old. . . . or maybe they fucked it.

Yep. This really looks far better than the prequels, but they were bad in different ways. I don't think these newer films make them look better in comparison. What is absolutely insane is that the problems are all so obvious, and should never have made it anywhere near actual production. Fuck knows what went on behind the scenes. Just writing and agreeing the story for the three films first would have solved a lot. . . . then less unnecessary plot and characters. It's an old swashbuckling action adventure story like raiders and should have been quite simple with a couple of reveals, twists and turns, a bit of comedy and action.
Anyway, it seems its not compelling enough to finish tonight. Maybe I'm too old. . . . or maybe they fucked it.
I’m a fairly big SW nerd and I agree. In fact the trilogy has succeeded in splitting opinion like never before. Looks wise it got it right but a massive missed opportunity regarding the storyline after Return of the Jedi.

But at least it looks like for the foreseeable future feature films are not a priority, given the sensational success that The Mandalorian was.

Watched that 'Soul' Pixar thing.
Ok I guess, but not nearly as amazing and heart warming as I had been led to believe .
Ayoade is really getting those US cartoon credits racked up always playing himself. Apple and Onion is still my favourite.

Daughter and I were a bit disappointed with a couple of aspects.

Would have liked to see 22 being born or whatever, even if she didn't remember anything. Also giving the chap his life back was a major cop out and devalued the emotional element. . . . and the cat, how did that die and come back to life? Why did the man not have serious injuries if he died from the fall?

I watched and enjoyed Soul.
None of the moments hit as hard as in other movies. but I also thought it didn't have any major flaws.

Most impactful moment would be that piano sequence towards the end. I almost felt everything after that was superfluous and they should have just wrapped it up with one final heart to heart instead of the final act rollercoaster.

I felt OK not seeing 22 being born. I was surprised they didn't do that too (unless i missed a mid credit sequence or something) but I also like that is was ambiguous at whatt 22 would become. I think not saying what job he went for was also good. It leaves that big question as to what the right choice is open for debate. I think the cat was never dead it just had an out of body experience.

I felt OK not seeing 22 being born. I was surprised they didn't do that too (unless i missed a mid credit sequence or something) but I also like that is was ambiguous at whatt 22 would become. I think not saying what job he went for was also good. It leaves that big question as to what the right choice is open for debate. I think the cat was never dead it just had an out of body experience.

I don't think we had to see 22 do anything, just to know he / she arrived rather than just fall into a hole (go). The cat thing still doesn't make sense according to the 'soul law' they established. Would have to be doing some different that was never mentioned. And what about the guy dying from his injuries, how did they all heal to the point he could just reanimate the corpse and run off down the street? Then he leaves again and drops dead again? When he comes back he's going to be famous![/spoiler]

I don't think we had to see 22 do anything, just to know he / she arrived rather than just fall into a hole (go). The cat thing still doesn't make sense according to the 'soul law' they established. Would have to be doing some different that was never mentioned. And what about the guy dying from his injuries, how did they all heal to the point he could just reanimate the corpse and run off down the street? Then he leaves again and drops dead again? When he comes back he's going to be famous![/spoiler]

I’m a fairly big SW nerd and I agree. In fact the trilogy has succeeded in splitting opinion like never before. Looks wise it got it right but a massive missed opportunity regarding the storyline after Return of the Jedi.

But at least it looks like for the foreseeable future feature films are not a priority, given the sensational success that The Mandalorian was.
I used to love star wars, grew up with the toys, then later saw all the prequels at the cinema, despite misgivings. Read books looked into back story's. But now I struggle to be interested. I'm told the mandolorian is great but got to episode three and a half and haven't gone back yet. It's maybe like how the matrix 2 and 3 killed the memory of the first film.
I'd like to have a reason to revisit the first ones, my daughter is not interested at all, it's not something kids her age are talking about, just 45 year old men.

Re Wandavision, as twists go, yeah it was my guess from episode one and I’m really a very casual Marvel viewer - they couldn’t have left it for a big reveal. I was disappointed though. I wanted more sitcom.
FBI/SWORD grumpy people in boring clothes don’t thrill. And obviously they had the sassy lipstick-scientist* to cater for me. But I wanted more Kathryn Hahn in cheesy neighbour mode.

*this character is so obviously a trope, but I can’t think of a better description.

Re Wandavision, as twists go, yeah it was my guess from episode one and I’m really a very casual Marvel viewer - they couldn’t have left it for a big reveal. I was disappointed though. I wanted more sitcom.
FBI/SWORD grumpy people in boring clothes don’t thrill. And obviously they had the sassy lipstick-scientist* to cater for me. But I wanted more Kathryn Hahn in cheesy neighbour mode.

*this character is so obviously a trope, but I can’t think of a better description.
I think we are still going to get more sitcom and more Hahn. I didn't want a big reveal at the end, just a slower drip drip unraveling. A tease that fuels theory and discussion.
Does feel like it's all too quickly flopped into regular marvel territory. Disappointing for me as I find 80% of it as boring as fuck.

Been finding the Madolorian a bit boring, (though certainly had it's moments) but rather enjoyed the last episode of series one.
Just finished it and noticed it was directed by Taika Waititi, I have pretty much enjoyed all his output from as far back as eagle vs shark.

Was it down to the director or the script?

In other news, I couldn't finish rise of the Skywalker. Life is too short.

Been finding the Madolorian a bit boring, (though certainly had it's moments) but rather enjoyed the last episode of series one.
Just finished it and noticed it was directed by Taika Waititi, I have pretty much enjoyed all his output from as far back as eagle vs shark.

Was it down to the director or the script?

In other news, I couldn't finish rise of the Skywalker. Life is too short.
One of the successes and the freshness of Mandalorian is the concept of having different directors do each of the episodes. Even people who aren’t in this at all. Robert Rodriguez directs one in S2 and it’s a great one.

Anyway, you should like S2 at least as much, and very likely a lot more.

This week’s episode of WandaVision was another cracker imo. I’d be interested to hear your views on it, ATOMIC SUPLEX
Uh oh. I thought the opposite. It was ok, but it feels very marvel now and not very mysterious. Would have liked some of the glitches here before the outside world reveal. Again, seems I am Inthe minority, as all the reviews I have seen are still saying it's a slow burn you have to stick with. . . Still 40 minutes passed fairly swiftly, certainly quicker than the snooze of a mandolorian episode I just watched.
Humourous end. I assume they chose the other actor on purpose, if not they should have anyway. Bit comedy clunky with the two broke girls girl line. I guess every flipping super hero film is going full on multiverse now. Looking forward to Lou Ferrigno turning up in 'avengers - into the hulkaverse'.

One of the successes and the freshness of Mandalorian is the concept of having different directors do each of the episodes. Even people who aren’t in this at all. Robert Rodriguez directs one in S2 and it’s a great one.

Which one, I hope it wasn't the sand worm one. That was well shit. . . .plus they have obviously bought bona fett back now. Why is everyone always coming back from the dead? It just cheapens it.

Having different directors is not special to the Mandalorian - all the major tv series do great

Getting increasingly bored with WandaVision as it just morphs into a regular MCU film plot. I fount the first couple interesting, but it's treading a fairly straightforward path instead of an intriguing one. I know it's not supposed to be high art, and the fans seem to be quite happy with where it is going so I can't grumble too much, I guess it was just never made for me. . . . just felt like a little while there at the beginning it was.

I thought today’s episode was the best one yet! Nicely transitioning the tone of this series from the all-out spoof sitcom of the early episodes that we knew wasn’t going to last throughout, towards its intended action/ thriller conclusion.

However it might all pan out, full marks from me for a genre-bending, original, visually striking series that’s a million miles away from the usual superhero wares.

Meh, lost the sitcom spoof by ep3, I'm just sad that it settled into a run of the mill mcu story rather than something a bit more interesting. I genuinely can't see how it can now be seen as "a million miles from the usual superhero wares", it's turned into some very MOR MCU superhero wares.

Meh, lost the sitcom spoof by ep3, I'm just sad that it settled into a run of the mill mcu story rather than something a bit more interesting. I genuinely can't see how it can now be seen as "a million miles from the usual superhero wares", it's turned into some very MOR MCU superhero wares.
Given that this is a limited series of just nine episodes and that the genre-bending themes and unique visual style and overall concept is an integral part of it, you have to give the series credit for its uniqueness aspects (compared with the usual Marvel wares) regardless of whether the latter episodes don’t feature the spoof sitcom aspect as much as you’d like.

Fair enough if you think it’s losing its fizz and are no longer enjoying it. But as a standalone story/ product, it is still significantly distinct from anything else Marvel has ever done. Or many other studios for that matter, and that alone deserves at least an amount of credit and recognition imo.

Not saying this is the best and most amazing piece of television ever, anything that breaks the mold and brings a degree of originality is to be welcomed.

Back
Top Bottom