Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

I don't dispute that, and I don't think it's terrible, but I don't think it's so totally out there after we have seen Dr Strange or the Gardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2 or even ant man. I do give it credit, but it's not that daring.

Can't wait to see Wanda vision.

Especially if ATOMIC SUPLEX doesn't like it. That normally means it's worth watching :D
I didn't say I didn't like it. It's watchable. It's just not 'that' great. I am disappointed because it looked like it was going to be a lot more out there and radical than it is. I started 'watch' watching it, but today I found myself sewing and watching it. It's not cerebral or something you will wonder and muse about until the next episode.

I've been forced into watching that, it's not dreadful, but i think I may have reached full capacity for the Marvel universe. It all seems to require too much concentrating on the order and plot of films that were seen years ago.
I think I am in the same place. I watched too many of the films all together with my daughter. It wore me down somewhat. Only a couple stood out as something more interesting.

I didn't say I didn't like it. It's watchable. It's just not 'that' great. I am disappointed because it looked like it was going to be a lot more out there and radical than it is. I started 'watch' watching it, but today I found myself sewing and watching it. It's not cerebral or something you will wonder and muse about until the next episode.

Cerebral is great. But for this 50 something nerd, it's a joy to have so much Marvel and Star Wars around now. In the 70s, we were starved for choice. Those of us who grew up loving comics and sci-fi, etc - the talented, lucky ones got into the industry. So we have this awesome amount of escapism to chose from.

And right now, am all for mindless escapism ;)

Anyone with younger children - try Bluey. My 6 and 3 year olds haven't laughed so much at anything and it's just lovely and gentle with a really positive portrayal of a dad too.

If you have slightly older kids, gravity falls and star Vs the forces of evil are passable, and not old school 'reset' kids cartoons.

My daughter loves Marvel films and I've watched most of them with her at some point. A few have stood out but many more have bored me to tears - but I'm loving WandaVision. Massive thumbs up from me!

Re Wandavision, as twists go, yeah it was my guess from episode one and I’m really a very casual Marvel viewer - they couldn’t have left it for a big reveal. I was disappointed though. I wanted more sitcom.
FBI/SWORD grumpy people in boring clothes don’t thrill. And obviously they had the sassy lipstick-scientist* to cater for me. But I wanted more Kathryn Hahn in cheesy neighbour mode.

*this character is so obviously a trope, but I can’t think of a better description.
I almost did not get through episode one of WandaVision because I thought it was a shit sitcom....Good job I stuck with it. I think the pace and timing are just right.

Stars arrive today. Mostly shite or stuff I already have on DVD unfortunately.
Highlight is first British access to Solar Opposites. Pretty sure I have only watched one season, but the ad on plus says there are two series streaming . . . this is good news, however there are only actually two episodes up. Looks like they are drip feeding us. . . may not have them all up before my free subscription runs out.

I almost did not get through episode one of WandaVision because I thought it was a shit sitcom....Good job I stuck with it. I think the pace and timing are just right.
Meh, I am 100% with team spanglechick on this one. Said it all far better than I did. I am also a casual marvel viewer and I'm not mad keen. The makers have no business making Wandavision to appeal to the likes of me.

I am on Team WandaVision is excellent.

The spoofs were/are good, the wider plotting perfectly reasonable, and the casting is excellent. Getting Evan Peters as Pietro is brilliant, and I love Kathryn Hahn more and more every week.

Stars arrive today. Mostly shite or stuff I already have on DVD unfortunately.
Highlight is first British access to Solar Opposites. Pretty sure I have only watched one season, but the ad on plus says there are two series streaming . . . this is good news, however there are only actually two episodes up. Looks like they are drip feeding us. . . may not have them all up before my free subscription runs out.
Ohh nice. I rather enjoyed season 1. It started ok but by mid-season I was eagerly awaiting the next episode.

Ohh nice. I rather enjoyed season 1. It started ok but by mid-season I was eagerly awaiting the next episode.
Didn't it all just come at once on Hulu? I remember watching the lot (on you tube) in one go. Stars says there are two seasons currently streaming but, just like every other series that has just started on disney plus, there are only two episodes from season one up.
B b b b b bummer.

Stars is a bit shit otherwise. I think I have only selected about three things to watch from the entire catalogue.

I got in one go but was planning to spread out watching it over a number of days like I do with other series. Did that for maybe the first 2 or 3 but after that pretty much binged it.

Stars is a bit shit otherwise. I think I have only selected about three things to watch from the entire catalogue.
I was initially really excited as I saw stuff on there that felt like they we really pushing the boat out but after a bit of browsing the selection wasn't as big or impressive as it first looked.

It kind of reminds me of amazon prime. Don't get me wrong there is good stuff on prime but more often than not my friend and I end up watching old school 80 trash like those alien/terminator/madmax knock offs that went straight to VHS.

I am on Team WandaVision is excellent.

The spoofs were/are good, the wider plotting perfectly reasonable, and the casting is excellent. Getting Evan Peters as Pietro is brilliant, and I love Kathryn Hahn more and more every week.
Evan Peters is a great actor. Can play the tortured character or perfectly detestable villain to perfection. He features in several seasons of American Horror Story, and is superb in it.

Evan Peters is a great actor. Can play the tortured character or perfectly detestable villain to perfection. He features in several seasons of American Horror Story, and is superb in it.
This is true. But it isn't why he is brilliant casting here.

Checking the Star catalogue and noticed Solar Opposites. Seems to be an adult animation series by the makers of Rick and Morty. Great reviews for what I see... Fairly new and AFAIK the only legal way to watch it in the UK.

Has anyone watched any of it?

Checking the Star catalogue and noticed Solar Opposites. Seems to be an adult animation series by the makers of Rick and Morty. Great reviews for what I see... Fairly new and AFAIK the only legal way to watch it in the UK.

Has anyone watched any of it?
I have seen the lot and it is ace. Very bingeworthy for the ongoing story, but obvs disney are dribbling it out one ep per week.
The good news is that it has been picked up for two more seasons and season 2 is apparently in the bag.
It was a bit weird when it came out because there was no news whatsoever that it was being made. . . just appeared one day. I watched the lot on you tube at the time.

I think the original Hulu one might have been bleeped, but the disney one has quite a bit of swearing which made it slightly uncomfortable viewing with my daughter tonight.

I think I 'may' have even enjoyed the series more than rick and morty.

Possibly due to licencing agreement with other places that charge to stream it.

oh just saw that update.

I guess they could be having a licensing disagreement that means no one can stream it until the case is settled.
Not the right thread to discuss it at length but this subject has always been a bugbear of mine: how some films of a genre, quality and popularity are never shown but comparable ones are.

Guy Ritchie staples: Snatch: easily several times a year. Lock, Stock... genuinely can’t remember the last time I saw it available anywhere.

80s classic family/ teenage sci-fi: Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter, Gremlins- probably once every couple of years. Critters? Feels like never.

Cheesy 1960s musical classics: Mary Poppins, Oliver Twist or The Sound of Music: guaranteed to pop up at Christmas or bank holiday weekend. My Fair Lady? Have had a search in my Virgin box for two or three years now simply because I fancied it one Sunday afternoon and never got to delete the search and hasn’t picked it up once. I could go on for ages.

And when was the last time anyone remembers Weekend at Bernie’s being shown on a UK channel?

Back
Top Bottom