Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

I watched a few Disney classics from my childhood, like 'Escape to Witch Mountain- my first scifi film!

More recently, 'Soul', The mandolorian and currently the second series of 'Runaways'.
They desperately need fresh content if they want people to keep their subscription rolling. Once you’ve watched the pre-existing stuff there has been precious little new content worth bothering with, Mandalorian excluded of course.

Having said that there is a decent amount of new series in the horizon. It seems Marvel has taken a leaf out of Star Wars’ book and realised TV series are the way forward right now. Loki in May should be a headliner.

WandaVision update. It’s fucking great :D

For those who don’t yet know the premise, forget the Marvel label. This is (so far at least), a spoof sitcom, though clearly there’s more than just that in it, and I am guessing the series might develop into something else. There are already hints of it.

But even if it was going to be just a spoof sitcom, it’s still bloody watchable and enjoyable, and funnier than tons of purpose-written sitcom series. If you have Disney+, check it out. Even if you don’t like superhero stuff that muc

WandaVision: Critics welcome 'delightful' Disney+ series

Just watched the first one and have a feeling that I needed to have watched all 23 of the Marvel films to understand it. Felt that way about the Avengers films too.

Big fan of "coma reality" type things where the real world squeezes in every so often. So far this is ticking that box, as well as being a very funny retro sitcom setup. I really wasn't looking forward to this, thought it'd be shite, but I've been proved wrong before and I'm keen to see where this is heading.

Why is it played as a shit 50s sitcom? Pretty sure the characters are contemporary. Why no back story? Will I have to read stuff to understand it? Fuck Marvel the money grabbing cunts.

No idea. But maybe we'll find out!

Oh, and I've watched all the Marvel films and whatnot, and have no clue what's going on here. Just a couple of characters I don't really care about but somehow I'm intrigued.

Oh, and I've watched all the Marvel films and whatnot, and have no clue what's going on here. Just a couple of characters I don't really care about but somehow I'm intrigued.
I’m definitely intrigued. Some stuff that happened in the first episode has already got me thinking there’s something about this world that it off (apart from the fact that it seems to be set in the 50s, in black and white, and seems to be a take off of I Love Lucy

I’m definitely intrigued. Some stuff that happened in the first episode has already got me thinking there’s something about this world that it off (apart from the fact that it seems to be set in the 50s, in black and white, and seems to be a take off of I Love Lucy
As you watch the second episode you’ll realise there is a changing theme going on, regarding what the episodes seem to be based on...

Hello. O2 has just given me three months free for topping up £20. Seems like a good deal.
What is there to watch apart from all the Star Wars and Disney films? I heard there is Wandavision and that Bobba Jett show.

I didn't really like it but I was watching it with my 13 year old who was REALLY looking forward to it and was super disappointed.

Incidentally, why is my dog your profile picture? :mad: :D

Attachments

• 2020-03-01 02.06.13-2.jpg
    2020-03-01 02.06.13-2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 4
Agreed about the intrigue- my son's been explaining to me about their roles in the other films (but if I'm being honest, I'm not certain what he means).

Logged in last night and watched Wanda vision which I thought was alright. Something that will obviously slowly develop. I read a lot of people complaining about the fact that there was not enough weirdness in episode one, but I liked the very slow subtle bits of weird. The show was nicely done as a perfect parody, so when something wasn't quite right it really stood out without being too blatant. It looks like this will be done with quite soon which I think is a shame. I'm not a marvel film fan for the most part so it will be a bit sad to see it merge into some avengers / Dr strange shite.

Spent last night putting in my 'favorates' and despite going through the whole catalogue I was done quite quickly. It's not going to be worth keeping the subscription beyond the free period, I think I'll be done in less than a month.

Also disappointed that not all Disney pictures are available. No condor man, no London connection.
Happy to see the cat from outer space and that dog lawyer thing.

And there is a live action lady and the tramp!!!!! Why? So flipping weird, can't wait to see that, the thumbnail looks hilarious (spaghetti dinner kiss obviously).

All the Disney cartoon series are well shit except star Vs the forces of evil and gravity falls, which are more than passable.

Watching the Mandolorian thing. I guess I just don't care about Star Wars anymore. It's OK I suppose, I'm three episodes in but I still feel like I could just walk away at any moment and never give a shit about it ever again. I'm told it's the best Star Wars thing of the new stuff. I imagine rise of Skywalker is a massive load of shit.

Watching the Mandolorian thing. I guess I just don't care about Star Wars anymore. It's OK I suppose, I'm three episodes in but I still feel like I could just walk away at any moment and never give a shit about it ever again. I'm told it's the best Star Wars thing of the new stuff. I imagine rise of Skywalker is a massive load of shit.
It grows on you as the series progresses. Just like the bond between Mando and The Child. And you have some Easter eggs and cameos coming your way that will put a smile on your face wide enough to split your cheeks.

It grows on you as the series progresses. Just like the bond between Mando and The Child. And you have some Easter eggs and cameos coming your way that will put a smile on your face wide enough to split your cheeks.
I am seeing lots of Star Wars eggs etc but they don't excite me one bit, and I'm finding the battles boring (apart from the IG88 walk and shoot bit). I think Star Wars has become too muddied by all the extra films etc, and perhaps it's just not as fascinating as a far off fantasy anymore. I couldn't be arsed if Skywalker et el all showed up for a PSA, just bumping into the 20 people we know from the main films in such a large universe would be so coincidental it would be embarrassing. I'm glad it's not following boba fett as I thought it would, a super minor character that would have to be bought back to life (like Darth Maul - ugh, belittles every death). . . nice to finally have new people unlike the latest films.
Worst of all was perhaps the solo film . . . sticking in every tiny reference to his past life han made in the films into events that happened during perhaps a couple of weeks in his life. Super embarrassing. . . . if it goes down that route I will be well pissed off. If it goes all spaghetti western / Japanese shogun serial with new characters in the Star Wars universe then I think that might be acceptable if it develops into an interesting story.

Spent last night putting in my 'favorates' and despite going through the whole catalogue I was done quite quickly. It's not going to be worth keeping the subscription beyond the free period, I think I'll be done in less than a month.

Also disappointed that not all Disney pictures are available. No condor man, no London connection.
Happy to see the cat from outer space and that dog lawyer thing.

And there is a live action lady and the tramp!!!!! Why? So flipping weird, can't wait to see that, the thumbnail looks hilarious (spaghetti dinner kiss obviously).

All the Disney cartoon series are well shit except star Vs the forces of evil and gravity falls, which are more than passable.
Disney have always been sneaky fucks when it comes to their back catalogue. Back in the days before internet and ebay and streaming, they would only release DVDs of their films for a limited period, even the legacy ones from decades past. So prices remained as high as new release DVDs and you ended up paying £12 for Dumbo during the limited period they’d release a batch to the market.

Right now I’m watching Ratatouille, which is fucking superb and an all-time great for me, on Sky Movies on demand as they’re currently showing it. Is it available on Disney+? Is it fuck.

Disney have always been sneaky fucks when it comes to their back catalogue. Back in the days before internet and ebay and streaming, they would only release DVDs of their films for a limited period, even the legacy ones from decades past. So prices remained as high as new release DVDs and you ended up paying £12 for Dumbo during the limited period they’d release a batch to the market.

Right now I’m watching Ratatouille, which is fucking superb and an all-time great for me, on Sky Movies on demand as they’re currently showing it. Is it available on Disney+? Is it fuck.
Loads of Disney is out of copyright in Japan (and I assume other countries that didn't change the laws suit large corporations) so you can pick up all the old shit like dumbo on DVD and blu ray for a quid in pound shops. I have a copy of Bambi because I left the cinema at five minutes in (I needed the loo and would only go at home apparently) so have never seen it all. Still haven't.

SANY2500.JPG

My daughter told me the other day she started watching the DVD and only made it five minutes in as well, though I think she was more upset by the spoilers death of the mother.

Yeah I can sympathise with your daughter there. I’ve only seen Bambi once, as a kid, and have never felt like watching it agai. Quite likely because I still remember how desperately sad the death felt as a child.

We bought it over Christmas as we wanted to watch the Mandalorian (which we thoroughly enjoyed) but otherwise it was a bit meh contents wise. Watched a couple of Marvel films we hadn't seen (Ant Man and Dr Strange), watched Rogue One and I watched a couple of the newer Star Wars films as I hadn't seen them. Was debating whether to keep it cos of WandaVision but have to say was pretty underwhelmed by the first 2 episodes so I think I'll be cancelling my membership before we have to pay for another month.

ETA - judging the contents it would be absolutely brilliant to have if you have young kids. Otherwise not so much.

I am seeing lots of Star Wars eggs etc but they don't excite me one bit, and I'm finding the battles boring (apart from the IG88 walk and shoot bit). I think Star Wars has become too muddied by all the extra films etc, and perhaps it's just not as fascinating as a far off fantasy anymore. I couldn't be arsed if Skywalker et el all showed up for a PSA, just bumping into the 20 people we know from the main films in such a large universe would be so coincidental it would be embarrassing. I'm glad it's not following boba fett as I thought it would, a super minor character that would have to be bought back to life (like Darth Maul - ugh, belittles every death). . . nice to finally have new people unlike the latest films.
Worst of all was perhaps the solo film . . . sticking in every tiny reference to his past life han made in the films into events that happened during perhaps a couple of weeks in his life. Super embarrassing. . . . if it goes down that route I will be well pissed off. If it goes all spaghetti western / Japanese shogun serial with new characters in the Star Wars universe then I think that might be acceptable if it develops into an interesting story.
I’m rewatching the whole thing atm, and on the finale of S1 right now as it happens, and it stands up to repeat viewings. FWIW even though I’m a massive SW fan I can see where you’re coming from regarding the first few episodes.

But believe me, it only gets better from where you are. From episode 4 things start to get very interesting, and it just builds up from there. Out of the final four episodes of S1, three of them are at least 8/10 for me. And the different directors/ themes for every episode keep the whole thing fresh. But if it’s still ‘take it or leave it‘ for you by the end of episode 7, I guess the rest of the series won’t grab you.

I hope you will still give it its credit for both focusing on the expanded background world of the SW universe rather than being all Jedi, Force and lightsabers. And equally for how right they’ve got the visuals and the CGI/ practical effects balance. The prequel trilogy is a textbook example of how not to do CGI. The sequel trilogy was better but still too polished to be faithful to the original trilogy. This on the other hand is just spot on, and looks fucking great.

I hope you will still give it its credit for both focusing on the expanded background world of the SW universe rather than being all Jedi, Force and lightsabers. And equally for how right they’ve got the visuals and the CGI/ practical effects balance. The prequel trilogy is a textbook example of how not to do CGI. The sequel trilogy was better but still too polished to be faithful to the original trilogy. This on the other hand is just spot on, and looks fucking great.

I definitely do give it credit for those reasons, and would have gone goo goo nuts for it if I was ten. It's the best thing to come out of star wars since the originals. I just think that train might have already left the station for me. I'll carry on with it though.
They really really really should have done something more like this for solo, a simple short tight solo stand alone one shot story, nothing to do with lando or kessel runs. The new films really needed an actual story arc written before they started. An utter utter waste of the franchise, and now they can't go back.

I definitely do give it credit for those reasons, and would have gone goo goo nuts for it if I was ten. It's the best thing to come out of star wars since the originals. I just think that train might have already left the station for me. I'll carry on with it though.
They really really really should have done something more like this for solo, a simple short tight solo stand alone one shot story, nothing to do with lando or kessel runs. The new films really needed an actual story arc written before they started. An utter utter waste of the franchise, and now they can't go back.
Rogue One was the only film since the original trilogy to get SW right. It’s no coincidence that like with The Mandalorian there is very limited amount of legacy characters and Jedi shit in it.

A sizeable chunk of writers and production designers from RO are involved in this series, incidentally. I hope they’ll be on board for all the forthcoming series.

Rogue One was the only film since the original trilogy to get SW right. It’s no coincidence that like with The Mandalorian there is very limited amount of legacy characters and Jedi shit in it.

Directed by an old pal of mine!
This is the only one my daughter thought was any good at all. . . and yes it is better, but the main characters are all instantly forgettable. The side characters like the robot and the blind guy were obviously more interesting. . . but I still can't really remember what happened.
The fundamental flaw is that it's all completely superfluous information that is summed up in a single line in a new hope. . . . even worse I think it undermines the quest to get the info, instead of it being a massive massive operation that took place way before hand, it was literally seconds before the events of the first film. . . . . there really was no need to connect the two, and no need for the new heroes to die (other 'many many people' could have died - it's a kids film) and new adventures with new leading characters could have been created. No. It's just the fucking sky walker dynasty and friends.

Watched that 'Soul' Pixar thing.
Ok I guess, but not nearly as amazing and heart warming as I had been led to believe .
Ayoade is really getting those US cartoon credits racked up always playing himself. Apple and Onion is still my favourite.

Daughter and I were a bit disappointed with a couple of aspects.

Would have liked to see 22 being born or whatever, even if she didn't remember anything. Also giving the chap his life back was a major cop out and devalued the emotional element. . . . and the cat, how did that die and come back to life? Why did the man not have serious injuries if he died from the fall?

The Pixar movie Soul is great, it's not the pinnacle of Pixar giants like Up and Finding Nemo, but it's still really great.
It was a shame Disney bought out Pixar and turned it into a sequel machine. An unparalleled record of stunning hit movies in a row.

The Pixar side of thing have some really great shorts. If like me, you have developed a short attention span in the lockdown, these are perfect.
Burn-e is a side shoot of wall-e. There is a toy story one too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom