Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Gentlemen Broncos

Never heard of this 2009 film before. Almost a wes anderson wannabe, but perhaps more silly and less cinematic. . . but that all comes to some extent with money (just look at bottle rocket). Comes from the same place as Napoleon dynamite and nacho libre so makes sense.

Looks very like the celeb roles were all filmed very carefully as to not take up too much of their time (and save costs). . . not a masterpiece but it's different and weird enough to be interesting and entertaining, and that's what films are for.

a very meh episode 3 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but it must have cost an absolute fortune

a very meh episode 3 of Falcon and the Winter Soldier, but it must have cost an absolute fortune
Uh oh.
I though the other ones were meh, so I'm not looking forward to an even worse one.
Mind you I watched 'the rocker' today which it can't be more shit than (can it?)

I watched Good Morning Vietnam the other day as I had the soundtrack on tape (!) and I loved it. Not aged well either - not least a late 30s Williams hassling a young woman who is clearly early 20s.

Not aged well either - not least a late 30s Williams hassling a young woman who is clearly early 20s.
That always bothered me, but not so much the age as the creepiness (everyone looked older when I was younger).
Amazing how shocking a lot of these older star/fox titles are. It's mostly the casual but utterly extreme sexism.

Bob's burgers is now up.

Also
The Ewok films and the cartoon from the holiday special, retooled as 'the brave wookie'. I'd have called it 'our new friend boba' or 'the mandolorian pilot episode'.

Just watched the cartoon 'ewoks'.
I think I vaguely remember it as a child but would have been maybe a tad too old to care by the time it bit to UK TV.
Anyway, two interesting things appeared. Seems they officially gave wickets second family name as Warwick, presumably named after Warwick Davis.
Second. . . Early in the cartoon a whispy fairy thing is called queen adreena. It's never mentioned again, and only credited as queen of the wispies elsewhere. Presumably this is where the band queenadreena bit their name from 15 years later, and then never mentioned it was from the ewoks cartoon.

Gentlemen Broncos

Never heard of this 2009 film before. Almost a wes anderson wannabe, but perhaps more silly and less cinematic. . . but that all comes to some extent with money (just look at bottle rocket). Comes from the same place as Napoleon dynamite and nacho libre so makes sense.

Looks very like the celeb roles were all filmed very carefully as to not take up too much of their time (and save costs). . . not a masterpiece but it's different and weird enough to be interesting and entertaining, and that's what films are for.

Watched this on the strength of your post and while far from perfect it comes together well enough enough, and it’s an an entertaining watch.

I’ve always rated Sam Rockwell as an actor, but also like the fact that he seems to cherish playing mad characters in low budget films just for the hell of it :)

I’ve always rated Sam Rockwell as an actor, but also like the fact that he seems to cherish playing mad characters in low budget films just for the hell of it :)

I agree.
Also watched him recently on the Way Way back, another indie type on Disney plus. Also a bit different and fairly enjoyable.
Quite liked Rockwells villain role in The Sitter . . . also Disney plus. Must have had a Fox contract or something.

After watching those three I tried to seek out more of his stuff, but I think I may have seen most of it.

I agree.
Also watched him recently on the Way Way back, another indie type on Disney plus. Also a bit different and fairly enjoyable.
Quite liked Rockwells villain role in The Sitter . . . also Disney plus. Must have had a Fox contract or something.

After watching those three I tried to seek out more of his stuff, but I think I may have seen most of it.
I was surprised when you said this film was on Disney+ but when the credits started I saw it was a Fox Searchlight movie. Last year Disney bought the entire 20th C Fox family of companies from Rupert Murdoch, so I’d wager that’s why they’re available on the Disney platform...

I was surprised when you said this film was on Disney+ but when the credits started I saw it was a Fox Searchlight movie. Last year Disney bought the entire 20th C Fox family of companies from Rupert Murdoch, so I’d wager that’s why they’re available on the Disney platform...
Um yes. It was big news that they were adding all stars / fox to disney plus and upping the monthly fee. Some titles have to wait to finish up prime and other streaming platform contracts.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier ep.4 was much better, the last five minutes especially.
It's a bit all over the place. Usually the best bits in marvel films are when they are talking, in this show they just go from location to location to talk standing up in various rooms. I find myself actually looking forward to the fights. Characters just show up and stand in rooms or fight in rooms. . . . .all over the world.

Though interestingly, I 'think' I have been to the location of today's episode.

New series of solar opposites is now dripping out. . . . And they are in London!
Not going to be finished by the time my free subscription is over. Poo.
I'll come back and drop a tenner later in the year, still got a season of bobs burgers to go.

Last edited:
As mentioned above by strung out, they own 20th C Fox now. Doubtless it would have got a cinema release first in non-pandemic times. I was surprised myself to see it available today. Saving it for the right time of day and frame of mind.

Reactions: Ax^
Anyways, as I’m already here today I might as well give a thumbs up to Deadpool 2, which is why I was on Disney+ today, after I thought it’d been a long time since I last watched it, and also that I didn’t actually remember that much of it.

I don’t know why the first time I saw it I dismissed it as okay and watchable but nowhere near as good as the first- I guess I had a preset mindset that sequels can never be as good as a great predecessor.

But viewed again a couple of years down the line, this is actually as good as the first. Even more multilayered in some ways, and at least as funny.

I wish Marvel had the balls to bring Deadpool along to one of their marquee films. I reckon it would work as well.

Watched Nomadland last night on Disney plus. Beautifully shot and very similar to a Mike Leigh film in both good and bad ways. Can see why it one the Oscars, glad I saw it and would recommend it. Not sure I will rush to watch it again though.

Star Wars fans might be interested to know there’s some brand new stuff that’s popped up today, including the first episode of The Bad Batch, a new animation series that’s kind of a sequel to The Clone Wars.

jebus is the war of the world on disney+

just a little bleak

Was expecting it to maybe be a little bit darker than usual BBC/doctor who type of stuff

but fuck me may have to go watch some episode of the walking dead season 10 later for a pick me up

Last edited:
Just watched the first episode of Loki, I liked it. Love the design of where he ends up at the
TVA

So did I, and I thought it was a better first episode than either Wandavision or Falcon (though it also looked like it had much more money spent on it).

So did I, and I thought it was a better first episode than either Wandavision or Falcon (though it also looked like it had much more money spent on it).
I only liked the first two episodes of wanda, and Falcon was dross from the get go.

Loki, looks like good all round fun.

It's certaintly setting up an interesting premise for how a being like Loki, who is all about self-determination, copes with a lack of it.

Apparently Hiddleston (a Classics scholar) gave everyone involved some interesting mini lectures about Loki as he wanted everyone to be on the same page about what the character is about, and he's obviously bringing a lot of consideration about what it means to be a Trickster to the role, as is the writing.

I enjoyed it. Can’t expect fireworks from the first ever episode of a series but this one was pretty decent and laying the ground well.

WandaVision exceeded my expectations of what an MCU TV series would be like. Now I'm 3 episodes into The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and it's everything I was afraid an MCU series would be like. These two characters are fine as 2nd bananas in the movies, they didn't warrant a series. Rather than being conceptually interesting and emotionally rewarding like WandaVision, it's a boring action fest, all fights and explosions. Loki sounds like it could be more interesting again.

Back
Top Bottom