Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Well the premise requires a fair amount of suspension of disbelief even for the genre and it’s all very silly, but I still thought ep2 of Loki was most enjoyable and entertaining :)

It's certaintly setting up an interesting premise for how a being like Loki, who is all about self-determination, copes with a lack of it.

Apparently Hiddleston (a Classics scholar) gave everyone involved some interesting mini lectures about Loki as he wanted everyone to be on the same page about what the character is about, and he's obviously bringing a lot of consideration about what it means to be a Trickster to the role, as is the writing.
Same interesting stuff there

The final season of The Walking Dead will be on Disney UK from the 2nd July

Plus all the previous seasons.

The final season of The Walking Dead will be on Disney UK from the 2nd July

Plus all the previous seasons.

Hmm. We have it on Netflix and Amazon, currently. Hope Disney doesn't have exclusive rights, although it does vary from region to region...

It looks like Disney will have exclusive access to rather a lot when current contracts end.

Dammit, if this is the case, we'll end up missing yet another final season of something we've followed through highs and lows.

That said, really want to see Mandalorian s2, so might try another trial period in a year...

Dammit, if this is the case, we'll end up missing yet another final season of something we've followed through highs and lows.

That said, really want to see Mandalorian s2, so might try another trial period in a year...
I guess you can just dip in an out for a month.
I might go back some time in the future when my prime trial runs out again and Loki is finished (so I can watch it all in one go).

Solar opposites too.

I have to disagree. I thought it was not only the funniest, most enjoyable one so far, but also a very clever and needed addition to the series.

I doubt that if they’d stuck to preexisting formula of Loki just being a lovable antihero with Agent whatshisface as a sidekick for the entire series with both saving the universe one episode at a time, the series would have amounted to anything better than formulaic and mediocre.

The introduction of the female variant that actually transforms him into the reasonable and balanced one was a stroke of genius, and their on-screen dynamics and chemistry was noticeably fantastic.

It makes him look more three-dimensional, interesting and funny than in the previous episodes imo. And she’s fucking great too.

I have to disagree. I thought it was not only the funniest, most enjoyable one so far, but also a very clever and needed addition to the series.

I doubt that if they’d stuck to preexisting formula of Loki just being a lovable antihero with Agent whatshisface as a sidekick for the entire series with both saving the universe one episode at a time, the series would have amounted to anything better than formulaic and mediocre.

The introduction of the female variant that actually transforms him into the reasonable and balanced one was a stroke of genius, and their on-screen dynamics and chemistry was noticeably fantastic.

It makes him look more three-dimensional, interesting and funny than in the previous episodes imo. And she’s fucking great too.

re: him being the reasonable and balanced one, there was a really good suggestion on the Guardian article about this episode (sorry if its by someone who is also on here):

The opening sequence was a tell for the rest of the show. Someone is inhabiting someone else's imagination, trying to get information from them ... but which Loki is in charge? Both of them seemed subject to chaos and both of them presented disjointed characterisations and conversations and 'prop shifts' similar to the flickering from day to night in the opening sequence. Off the top of my head - after falling from the train, Loki is wearing a jacket, is characteristically unperturbed (would being drunk do this?), is wearing a jacket and then he isn't. After the mutual eye staring and strange conversation about love, Sylvie suddenly wakes up - we saw no falling asleep, and Loki is singing Asgardian songs dressed in his normal variant clothes. There's this strange, oozy friendliness to Loki that jars a little and seems out of place. Sylvie is just a little bit too angry and then suddenly like a pussy cat (although that may be bad acting, we know that Hiddleston isn't a bad actor in any shape or form). The fight sequences at the end were just random. The dialogue is inconsistent.

A second watch revealed that what initially appeared to be Whovian shoddiness actually conveyed the jumpiness and disjointedness of a dream. So, at some point, one of them took over the other's mind. We know that Loki can cast illusions, and quite a lot more about his powers, which include mind control and yet here he is disarmingly asking Sylvie how she does it. We know that magic doesn't work in the TVA, so this mind control sequence probably didn't start there (unless the judge initiated it) - did he cast the illusion of the temporal jump device having 'run out of juice'? Or did Sylvie initiate it when she grabbed Loki by the throat.

Anyway, pretty sure that it'll all end up being a dream (but for once, not a copy-out sonic screwdriver dream) - and my money is on Loki putting Sylvie into memory space, not the other way around.

this is a personal opinion, but episode 4 may actually be the best thing in the entire MCU

the post credits bit especially
It’s getting better with every episode isn’t it. And also managing to surprise you regarding the direction the story keeps taking.

And of course that certain new addition in the post credits reveal is like candy to any right thinking folk :)

Ep.5 - loved it, but

I hope we are not going to end up with another last episode like Wandavision
I didn’t have too much of a problem with what you refer to in your spoiler text. If you are referring to the open ending of WandaVision, I hate it when TV series scripts are written in such way but sadly it’s mostly the norm nowadays. As it happens I thought the ending was reasonably satisfying, allowing for further instalments whilst providing a fair degree of conclusion to the season’s story.

I think Loki is too much of a banker for Marvel to write open ended seasons without any consideration for a cohesive storyline. If there’s really one episode remaining then I would imagine it’s certain the story will be left on a cliffhanger, but Marvel already knew of its popularity and would have planned for the plot to stretch over more than one season from its conception.

Anyway, generally loving it. Compared with the soporific The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it’s worlds apart and a breath of fresh air, as WandaVision was.

I didn’t have too much of a problem with what you refer to in your spoiler text. If you are referring to the open ending of WandaVision, I hate it when TV series scripts are written in such way but sadly it’s mostly the norm nowadays. As it happens I thought the ending was reasonably satisfying, allowing for further instalments whilst providing a fair degree of conclusion to the season’s story.

I think Loki is too much of a banker for Marvel to write open ended seasons without any consideration for a cohesive storyline. If there’s really one episode remaining then I would imagine it’s certain the story will be left on a cliffhanger, but Marvel already knew of its popularity and would have planned for the plot to stretch over more than one season from its conception.

Anyway, generally loving it. Compared with the soporific The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, it’s worlds apart and a breath of fresh air, as WandaVision was.

It wasn't the open ending of Wandavision that I disliked, it was the really standard way in which it ended - the CGI twaddle-fight against the big bad.

Everything interesting and groundbreaking about that show, certainly all the fun bits, went away and we ended up with the same thing we've always end up with. As bad as Falcon and the Winter Soldier were in comparison (and certainly in comparison to Loki), I thought that had a better ending.

Just about to watch black widow ( and no I didn't pay £19.99 for it)

It's coming out of the non premier Disney plus on 6th October

"Glorious Purpose" :cool::(

Great episode, the final set piece was brilliant. Put the characters and emotions first, while still having awesome spectacle.

Richard E. Grant unsurprisingly steals the show, but the entire episode was filled with well crafted moments / hints / homages:

Throg in the jar
The constant cutting to Alligator Loki during conversations between them all cracked me up too, just a blank reaction shot :D
Classic Loki recreating Asgard as his final stand, despite not having seen it for probably 1000s of years. The music too, chills :cool:

Black widow is ok , more of a classic action movie than super hero movie , lots of action but gets quite slow for about 20 mins in the middle.

not really worth the £19.99 unless you have some mates round to split the cost.

it’s by no means bad though

Last edited:
Watched black widow at peckhamplex.

Enjoyed it. The action was a bit shaky cam but solid.

However looking back on it I can't help but feel I may have enjoyed this more as a TV series where I got to know everyone better.

The all serious undercover stuff at the start feels very different to the aeroflot avengers stuff.

Pig queen and radioactive man feel like they are in a different movie to the red room stuff.
As if some one had sliced in bits of thor ragnarok into thor 2.(ok maybe more winter solider than thor 2)

Back
Top Bottom