Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

...I still think she’s an unpleasant fuckwit and probably a fairly unlikeable person to know off camera, but not sure meriting a lifetime ban and unworthy of reconsideration, in particular as she had even apologised to some degree in the aftermath. I also thing reinstating people like her to the mainstream might work in restoring a more civilised society in the US, though that’s perhaps a discussion for the politics forum.
I think it basically not goes back to contract stuff.

Especially after what happened with James Gunn Disney has a social media policy for staff particularly named staff.
It askes you to not get involved in contentious stuff. It also seems to be something that kas a warning system built in.

The question is do we hold companies responsible for comments of people who work at said companie s and if so what do we expect the companies to do?

it's not a great system any way

Going back to The Mandalorian, and as I’m rewatching the whole thing yet again, I’ve been pondering about Gina Carano’s fulminant firing after her various Trump supporting tweets.

Don’t get me wrong, like any decent human being I think Trump is an abominable cunt as are most of their supporters, but I think a distinction can sometimes be made between lower grade GOP/ Trump supporters who expressed stupid but non-offensive views and those who embraced bigoted/ hatred promoting vileness.

I might well be wrong, in which case good riddance, but I was under the impression Carano fell under the former group, and other than posting the standard gammon ‘we conservative Trump supporters are being persecuted’ moans and casting doubt on the accuracy of the 2020 result early on but without supporting any proper nutjob conspiracy theories about a steal, she hasn’t crossed into full on batshit territory.

I still think she’s an unpleasant fuckwit and probably a fairly unlikeable person to know off camera, but not sure meriting a lifetime ban and unworthy of reconsideration, in particular as she had even apologised to some degree in the aftermath. I also thing reinstating people like her to the mainstream might work in restoring a more civilised society in the US, though that’s perhaps a discussion for the politics forum.
Supporting Trump didn't get her fired. Comparing herself to "Jews during the Holocaust" after getting called out for her transphobic tweets and various other alt-right nonsense, is what got her fired.

Last edited:
Supporting Trump didn't get her fired. Comparing herself to "Jews during the Holocaust" after getting called out for her transphobic tweets and various other alt-right nonsense, is what got her fired.
Ah, I certainly wasn't aware of this. Fair enough.

. . . and understandably, when you say stuff like that people start to not want to work with you / be around you.

The War of the Worlds (Canal+ Anglo-French series). I had never heard of this and decided to give it a go yesterday. It’s a lot better than I’d expected and certainly a million times better than the BBC’s pisspoor recent effort.

2/3rds into S1 and whereas it can be a touch slow-paced occasionally, on the whole it is still fairly action packed and provides plenty of dramatic thrills. Very Black Mirror-esque in more ways than one.

The War of the Worlds (Canal+ Anglo-French series). I had never heard of this and decided to give it a go yesterday. It’s a lot better than I’d expected and certainly a million times better than the BBC’s pisspoor recent effort.

2/3rds into S1 and whereas it can be a touch slow-paced occasionally, on the whole it is still fairly action packed and provides plenty of dramatic thrills. Very Black Mirror-esque in more ways than one.
I've been enjoying what I've seen so far as well.

I wrote about it in the War of the Worlds thread. The first season was ok, but maybe not quite good enough for me to continue. Wasn't a huge fan of the robodogs. I'm surprised at the first rate cast they got together. Even its creators have admitted now that it may have been questionable to call it after the HG Wells novel as it has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Another week, another new Marvel show :thumbs:

Marvel's What If... Episode 1

Good fun and nice to get the majority of the actors back playing their roles.

Captain Carter was not about that mercy life though :eek:, even Steve never seemed to display the physical prowess and brutality she showed (makes sense if she was already a trained spy / fighter before the serum).

Animation was great.

Lots of clever (and a fair few not-so-clever) references to previous films / exchanges.

With Loki, Spiderman No Way Home and Multiverse of Madness all seemingly leaning heavily into the parallel universes, fingers crossed there's a real chance of Captain Carter (and Hayley Atwell) making it to live action.

Marvel could literally reset and go again with the 'alternate versions' endlessly.

Luca-sounds like a strange concept (sea monsters living in an Italian town) but it’s beautifully made and a lovely story .

I've never watched any of the MCU whatsoever. Should I try? Paid for Disney for a month to watch the Mandalorian finally so have it all there available. But I've always dismissed superhero films as not my thing... but maybe I'm wrong? I like the sound of Loki. But I assume I really should watch a load of the films first?

I've never watched any of the MCU whatsoever. Should I try? Paid for Disney for a month to watch the Mandalorian finally so have it all there available. But I've always dismissed superhero films as not my thing... but maybe I'm wrong? I like the sound of Loki. But I assume I really should watch a load of the films first?

Watch Thor Ragnarok and The Avengers movies first. You could go straight into the series but it may be a bit baffling.

no, it’s not worth it

Also, the series really complements the movies mentioned and the pay off isn't quite the same without seeing them.

If you like Star Wars with its fighting wizards and gunslingers in space, you'll enjoy the adventures of the Avengers. Age of Ultron you could probably skip. It's not terrible, just not essential. Unless you want to watch Wandavision...

Also, the series really complements the movies mentioned and the pay off isn't quite the same without seeing them.

If you like Star Wars with its fighting wizards and gunslingers in space, you'll enjoy the adventures of the Avengers. Age of Ultron you could probably skip. It's not terrible, just not essential. Unless you want to watch Wandavision...
...which I thought was better than Loki but only makes sense if you've seen the films which featured Wanda.

I liked the Thor movies, Captain Marvel and Guardians of the Galaxy best. I think you probably only need to see a Thor movie to get an idea of who Loki is, you don't necessarily need to see all the Avengers ones to know exactly how Loki fits into the timeline.
You probably do need to watch (or read the wiki pages of) the Avengers movies to get WandaVision though.

The point of the MCU is to make punters watch it all to get the most out of it. I think for the most part, so far it has worked and after a few early missteps (The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor The Dark World) the films generally are entertaining and occasionally they are pretty great. What I like about them is that there is an effort to make the characters reasonably interesting, the casting is first rate, the writing is often very good and the world building is genuinely ambitious. What I like less is that they frequently climax in drawn out action scenes of endless destruction, though even that gets reigned in with the later films. Now that they make you watch the tv shows too, I'm starting to lose interest. I thought WandaVision was great, but I bailed on The Falcon and the Winter Soldier before the end and didn't feel a huge urge to watch more of Loki after two episodes. There is something "trying too hard" for me to watch more or maybe I am finally starting to suffer superhero-burn-out.

I am about three quarters the way through the first MCU chronologically (Captain America the first avenger) and can't say I'm especially enjoying it. But perhaps I'll just focus on the Thor / Avengers films for now and go back to the others if this strand + Loki does it for me.

(Possibly best if it doesn't, I have no wish to give Disney any more cash after this month)

We enjoyed the first 'What if...' and liked the presumably digital but still hand-drawn-ish look animation. For some reason our son has declared he's not interested in any animated Marvel stuff.

I am about three quarters the way through the first MCU chronologically (Captain America the first avenger) and can't say I'm especially enjoying it. But perhaps I'll just focus on the Thor / Avengers films for now and go back to the others if this strand + Loki does it for me.

(Possibly best if it doesn't, I have no wish to give Disney any more cash after this month)

The Cap is ok, his second and third stories amp it up.

We enjoyed the first 'What if...' and liked the presumably digital but still hand-drawn-ish look animation. For some reason our son has declared he's not interested in any animated Marvel stuff.

could be worse he could of been over interested in the 7 foot tall hench captain peggy

Last edited:
If you were me, and I was me recommending to me with hindsight I would say. . .

Iron Man (1 only)
Thor Ragnarock
Guardians of the Galaxy
Ant man
Maybe Gardians 2 and Ant Man 2
Infinity war.

Can't be arsed with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom