Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

hmm know the marvel series have be a hit and miss affair as of late but the first episode of secret invasion showed some promise and a great cast :)
I was just coming here to say the same. I wasn’t even aware of the existence of this miniseries, but a strong start indeed.

Great cinematic look, sets and production values- feels like a Hollywood film. And I was so pleased to see
Olivia Colman
in it :)

The Old Man. A new spy drama/ thriller miniseries based on the novel of the same name. It stars Jeff Bridges as a former CIA operative, living off-grid in the forest until the past unexpectedly catches up with him.

Slow burning and far more narrative based than action packed, but on episode two and pretty decent so far.

Watched the first episode of Welcome to Wrexham, the documentary series about Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney purchasing said football club. Pretty watchable, will stick with it. I like football anyway, but I reckon those who don’t might still find this interesting.
Binged it in one day.
Skipped certain bits where it was obvious they were just going to wax lyrical all episode and it was nothing to do with the club's season as such. The whole bromance episode for example.

Canadian Rob trying to speak Welsh. I know I should be supportive but man it's so bad I cringe every time.
If this how us brits sound to the French in Paris for example I understand why foreigners learn English. It's less painful than hearing the English murder their language.

S2 of The Bear. Just excellent. The characterisation is fantastic, the script is sharp as fuck, the pacing is perfect, flicking between frenetic and contemplative without it ever feeling out of place. The Christmas episode is fucking genius.

It's not about cooking. It's about family and relationships and what means most to you - and how hard it is balancing all that and the behaviour it generates. Brilliant.

S2 of The Bear. Just excellent. The characterisation is fantastic, the script is sharp as fuck, the pacing is perfect, flicking between frenetic and contemplative without it ever feeling out of place. The Christmas episode is fucking genius.

It's not about cooking. It's about family and relationships and what means most to you - and how hard it is balancing all that and the behaviour it generates. Brilliant.
Can't wait to see it!

just started watching the first season :cool:

on the basis of your last post so thanks :)

Watched the 1st episode of the 2nd series last night - was worried they’d be no plot left to explore but i was unduly worried. Will be watching the rest over the next few weeks. Shame they’ve dropped the whole series in one go. They eked it out once a week with the first. Strange decision

I wasn’t watching much on Disney as had to watch via a Firestick which was incredibly slow & glitchy so I caved in & bought a smart TV & have whooped & giggled through S3 of The Mandalorian & I found The Bear which I wish I had watched slower but it was just so good.

Not sure about series 2 of The Bear.....I've just finished episode 6 - the extended Christmas dinner flashback episode - and so far I'm finding this series to be a bit all over the place.

Parts of it are still very good - but it seems a lot more uneven in tone overall.

Not sure about series 2 of The Bear.....I've just finished episode 6 - the extended Christmas dinner flashback episode - and so far I'm finding this series to be a bit all over the place.

Parts of it are still very good - but it seems a lot more uneven in tone overall.
The critics seem to love it and often more so than S1. The first episode of S2 was brilliant, the rest still very good but less so. Still, my OH was finding the ultra frantic atmosphere that was prevalent in S1 hard to handle, and so far at least it seems to have been toned down a bit for S2, so she's happy.

The critics seem to love it and often more so than S1. The first episode of S2 was brilliant, the rest still very good but less so. Still, my OH was finding the ultra frantic atmosphere that was prevalent in S1 hard to handle, and so far at least it seems to have been toned down a bit for S2, so she's happy.
2 eps in and loving it.

Ep 7 of season 1 was still stellar.

Latest Star Wars universe new series, Ahsoka, starts this week. Is it me or has there been minimal pre-release chatter and buzz compared with previous SW new shows?

Just checked the first reviews out and they seem pretty encouraging. Given that the quality and reception of Disney’s SW output to date, both series and films, has so far been inversely proportional to the amount of Jedi featured, it’ll be interesting to see if they pull it off.

Latest Star Wars universe new series, Ahsoka, starts this week. Is it me or has there been minimal pre-release chatter and buzz compared with previous SW new shows?

Just checked the first reviews out and they seem pretty encouraging. Given that the quality and reception of Disney’s SW output to date, both series and films, has so far been inversely proportional to the amount of Jedi featured, it’ll be interesting to see if they pull it off.
Can't escape the buzz on my feeds!

Going to have to watch the last EP of Rebels again to refresh the memory.

Can't escape the buzz on my feeds!

Going to have to watch the last EP of Rebels again to refresh the memory.
I’m sure that’s true but as someone who doesn’t subscribe to related media, I would certainly say the pre-release exposure or buzz in the general media has been markedly smaller. Perhaps it’s just fatigue, or more likely less of a PR effort by Disney. By comparison, Andor was extensively talked about.

I’m sure that’s true but as someone who doesn’t subscribe to related media, I would certainly say the pre-release exposure or buzz in the general media has been markedly smaller. Perhaps it’s just fatigue, or more likely less of a PR effort by Disney. By comparison, Andor was extensively talked about.

Found it the complete opposite!

People are going nuts over Ahsoka and no doubt will be mightily angry when it inevitably fails to meet their expectations.

Of course, there's always going to be dissatisfied people, no matter what. Andor is one of the best additions to the franchise but some absolutely hate it...

Found it the complete opposite!

People are going nuts over Ahsoka and no doubt will be mightily angry when it inevitably fails to meet their expectations.

Of course, there's always going to be dissatisfied people, no matter what. Andor is one of the best additions to the franchise but some absolutely hate it...

I loved Andor, but then I also think Rogue One is the best film outside of the original trilogy, so I was bound to like Andor as long as it was done well (which it was!)

This week’s episode of Only Murders in the Building is one of the funniest and best ones of the entire series yet- Steve Martin is sublime in this one :D

Seriously, though: if anyone here with a Disney subscription hasn’t checked this out yet, you’re missing on an absolute gem. Do it.

So, it looks gorgeous. Loving the Indiana Jones temple/maps vibes, the villains are suitably villainous and the droids, as ever, are well realised.

Pacing wise, it's slower compared to Filoni's animated output. Too many meaningful pauses and looks. But, we're only two episodes in. Looks forward to the quest.

So, it looks gorgeous. Loving the Indiana Jones temple/maps vibes, the villains are suitably villainous and the droids, as ever, are well realised.

Pacing wise, it's slower compared to Filoni's animated output. Too many meaningful pauses and looks. But, we're only two episodes in. Looks forward to the quest.
It this a programme called So?

Back
Top Bottom