Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

When did that start?
Have they dumped the whole lot at once or are they drip feeding it.
Probably worth doing the £1.99 for three months.
We’re up to episode five out of ten as of today, so if you’re hoping to scoop it all up inside a month’s membership, I’d say wait until mid-October before rejoining.

I signed up on the 1.99 deal for three months. Wowzers, those ads have really picked up since I was last subscribed. It used to only be about 20 seconds of advertising for another disney show, not intrusive. Feels a little bit too much now.

Also, at first glance not a huge amount to get excited about over the next three months. Inside out 2 maybe, Agatha, Solar Opposites new series, kinds of kindness, New Only Murders in the building. . . . Might watch Mr Inbetween again.

I noticed Macross is all over it now, but I only wanted the old early 80s show . . . and that seems to have been caught up in some annoying legal worldwide ownership bullshit so I'll probably never see it. . . . I was always curious because in the early 80s my village model shop sold (along with airfix war planes) these crazy half robot planes and robots with massive gun heads. The designs looked very exciting to my 10 year old brain. I bought and made a couple. Turns out they were Super Dimentional Fortress Macross models and probably would be worth a fortune now. Predated the idea of transforming robots (in disguise). I'd really like to see where they came from, plus I have a soft spot for 70s/80s anime (gets a bit shit in the 90s).

Werewolf by night was ok, maybe just not my bag, but I applaud it for being something in the marvel cannon that looks and feels different. This is really what I want from Marvel films and TV. Different series and genres. Some could be murder mystery, some space sci fi, sitcom, horror, tense drama . . . but they all look mostly the same and it's boring.
Yeah, while I didn't think it was the greatest piece of TV, I really liked that it just felt very different from pretty much all their other stuff.

Was quite disappointed when it devolved into more typical Marvel fare by the end, but was still hopeful they'd do more stuff like that (in that they wouldn't be like that, IYSWIM :hmm: ) even if just more 'one-shots'. Alas...

Have enjoyed Agatha so far, for similar reasons. Thought Ep3 felt a little 'cheap filler episode', but still keen to watch the rest. Hahn is, of course, carrying the show, but there's a lot of other decent stuff going on too. Certainly the most interesting thing Marvel have done on screen for a while.

Certainly the most interesting thing Marvel have done on screen for a while.
I'll give it a go. It does seem that Marvel make attempts to take risks and do something different (Wanda, Loki, She Hulk etc) but then just cave in (to studio pressure?) and turn everything into that same old marvel CGI snooze fest.
I don't know much about actual marvel comics so I can't comment, but I really really really enjoyed Alan Moores Americas Best universe. Different stories and characters had totally different genres and styles, (borrowing ideas from 100 years of comic books) but stories and could still cross over in a natural and interesting way. It was vibrant exciting, engaging and fun. Not just a continuing boys own onslaught of dashing do gooder Tom Strong. TV and film has had just as much of a rich history of adventure genres to riff on.

I'll give it a go. It does seem that Marvel make attempts to take risks and do something different (Wanda, Loki, She Hulk etc) but then just cave in (to studio pressure?) and turn everything into that same old marvel CGI snooze fest.
I don't know much about actual marvel comics so I can't comment, but I really really really enjoyed Alan Moores Americas Best universe. Different stories and characters had totally different genres and styles, (borrowing ideas from 100 years of comic books) but stories and could still cross over in a natural and interesting way. It was vibrant exciting, engaging and fun. Not just a continuing boys own onslaught of dashing do gooder Tom Strong. TV and film has had just as much of a rich history of adventure genres to riff on.
Alan Moore also did a stint on Marvel's Captain Britain, which crossed over with Marvel's Doctor Who... or rather the Special Executive

I am unfamiliar with all of Moores Marvel and DC output minus watchmen.
I wonder now if it is too late for me to be enthralled with his earlier works. Did he do some Swapthing? I think I might have read that and not been very interested. Probably sacrilegious to say so, but I didn't really enjoy Warlords V for Vendetta.

I am unfamiliar with all of Moores Marvel and DC output minus watchmen.
I wonder now if it is too late for me to be enthralled with his earlier works. Did he do some Swapthing? I think I might have read that and not been very interested. Probably sacrilegious to say so, but I didn't really enjoy Warlords V for Vendetta.

Moore's run on Swamp Thing was outstanding. During those years, he created the character John Constantine, who got his own title - Hellblazer and Jamie Delano wrote it. Delano also took over Captain Britain after Moore left that title. After AM exited Swamp Thing, Rick Veitch took over. He had quite an act to follow, and imho he did a great job.

Another title that Moore excelled on in the 80s was Miracleman (aka Marvelman). Initially it started in Warrior before graduating to its own title with Eclipse Comics. It's been reprinted a few times and Neil Gaiman took over the title in the 90s.

I tend to prefer Moore's output from that era, before he became a grump but there were occasional comics like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that were worth a read.

I tend to prefer Moore's output from that era, before he became a grump but there were occasional comics like The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen that were worth a read.
I think his complete Americas Best output is his very best, the way it all mixes together, even with other writers (inc Veitch). . . and even concludes all the 'stories' at the end of Promethia. I think my personal favorite was Top 10 which was not directly connected to the Tom Strong universe like LOEG. . . but as a O'Neil super fan, I can't ignore the brilliance of The League if Extraordinary Gentlemen.

I think his complete Americas Best output is his very best, the way it all mixes together, even with other writers (inc Veitch). . . and even concludes all the 'stories' at the end of Promethia. I think my personal favorite was Top 10 which was not directly connected to the Tom Strong universe like LOEG. . . but as a O'Neil super fan, I can't ignore the brilliance of The League if Extraordinary Gentlemen.
Have read very little of ABC, didn't get into Promethea at the time because of the dense prose (at least in the issue I picked up) ... maybe give it a go again, one day.

Have read very little of ABC, didn't get into Promethea at the time because of the dense prose (at least in the issue I picked up) ... maybe give it a go again, one day.
Promethia is tough, it does go off a moore flight of fancy somewhat. . . . But in conjunction with the other very different stories and characters it all makes for a fine and complete body of work. I probably wouldn't have delved in had I not picked up discounted collections, but I don't got hooked.

Top 10 is my favourite, but like LoEG, it's not part of the ABC shared universe as such (they both have their own extended universes).

Back
Top Bottom