Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

We really loved the Banshees of Inisherin, and Nomadland.
What kind of theme/ vibe is Banshees? Is it similar in tone to In Bruges, in which case I’m happy to give it a go any time? Or more of a poignant drama, in which case I need to be in the right mood?

What kind of theme/ vibe is Banshees? Is it similar in tone to In Bruges, in which case I’m happy to give it a go any time? Or more of a poignant drama, in which case I need to be in the right mood?
It's very Irish, remote Irish, insular island-Irish. Fascinating story, a little poignancy, lots of humour, gorgeous cinematography.

Not really like In Bruges, no.

I had to watch parts of it with my hands over my eyes, which was unexpected.
I know it's the sort of thing that other people love and the critics loved it but honestly I only watched it til the end just to get it off my "continue watching" list.
Not really into the whole slow rural drama thing I think.

I had to watch parts of it with my hands over my eyes, which was unexpected.
I know it's the sort of thing that other people love and the critics loved it but honestly I only watched it til the end just to get it off my "continue watching" list.
I would have left halfway through if we weren't seeing it at the cinema as Mr Thora's birthday choice. But I'm actually glad I made it to the end. Wouldn't watch again though.

Just completed series one, good job ther other series have more episodes or I'd be tempted to have it finished by tomorrow.
Was looking for something to watch last night and did the whole first series by lunchtime today. Absolutely cracking. Loved it. I like the low budget feel to it and the main actor is brilliant. Can't wait to watch the next two series.

Was looking for something to watch last night and did the whole first series by lunchtime today. Absolutely cracking. Loved it. I like the low budget feel to it and the main actor is brilliant. Can't wait to watch the next two series.
Just watched first six episodes of season 2, trying to ration it but it could be over before the weekend's out I reckon.

Anyone seen The Magician film it's based on?....@DaveCinzano

Last edited:
Well, I tried to watch Banshees last night but for some glitchy reason the sound was completely out of sync with the images- a good couple of seconds, which made it impossible to watch the film. All other content on Disney+ was working fine, so the issue seems contained to the film. Hopefully it'll fix itself soon :mad:

It’s a great film. Very entertaining and funny but also poignant. Dunno why people think it is slow. Is it cos there are no explosions or car chases in it?

It’s a great film. Very entertaining and funny but also poignant. Dunno why people think it is slow. Is it cos there are no explosions or car chases in it?
Haven’t seen it yet so obviously can’t comment, but that very criticism has been laid against The Pale Blue Eye, which in every other respect is a pretty decent film even if not a classic. I would have understood complaints about the running time, but the pace itself didn’t feel too slow at all to me. On the contrary, a faster pace would have done the film a disservice.

A bit like complaining The Silence of the Lambs is slow. Or Alien.

It's worth it for Barry Keoghan's performance alone. One of the best actors about I think.

I'd not known his story before but he's a care leaver, mum died when he was 11 and he ended up in Foster Care.

It's worth it for Barry Keoghan's performance alone. One of the best actors about I think.

I'd not known his story before but he's a care leaver, mum died when he was 11 and he ended up in Foster Care.
He's been brilliant in everything I've seen him in.

Just watched first six episodes of season 2, trying to ration it but it could be over before the weekend's out I reckon.

Anyone seen The Magician film it's based on?....@DaveCinzano

Little Demon. Story of a teenaged girl antichrist.

It's okay. It desperately wants to be edgier than it actually is. Could honestly use a bit more humour instead of nonstop swearing and gore to pad it out. And I like swearing and gore!

Little Demon. Story of a teenaged girl antichrist.

It's okay. It desperately wants to be edgier than it actually is. Could honestly use a bit more humour instead of nonstop swearing and gore to pad it out. And I like swearing and gore!
Thanks for that. Liking a lot. I’m not finding the swearing and gore OTT myself for an adult animation series. No worse gore than Archer or Rick and Morty, and far less swearing than Big Mouth.

Great voice talent, both regular and guest stars: Danny DeVito, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Aubrey Plaza, Mark Ruffalo… Even Mel Brooks! :)

Extraordinary. A new adult British comedy series about present day London but one in which everyone gets a different superpower as they hit their mid twenties.

Hadn’t heard about this at all, but pretty watchable so far. The kind of series you’d expect Channel 4 to make.

Apologies if mentioned before, I have trouble keeping up, even with a couple of pages ago.

'Extraordinary' , About an Irish girl with no super powers in a world where everyone has super powers.

It's quite funny and wrong, only seen 1 ep but am going to keep going.

He was absolutely breathtaking, funny and tragic and annoying and pathetic, often in the same scene. Incredible.

A fabulous performance and an agreeable update on the John Mills and John Hurt characters of Ryan's Daughter and The Field, respectively.

Wish had seen the film with an Irish audience though, don't think laughing out loud at some scenes went down well with our showing!

Apologies if mentioned before, I have trouble keeping up, even with a couple of pages ago.

'Extraordinary' , About an Irish girl with no super powers in a world where everyone has super powers.

It's quite funny and wrong, only seen 1 ep but am going to keep going.
We’ve finished it already. Pretty watchable.

A fabulous performance and an agreeable update on the John Mills and John Hurt characters of Ryan's Daughter and The Field, respectively.

Wish had seen the film with an Irish audience though, don't think laughing out loud at some scenes went down well with our showing!

Me, her and our mate who went are none of us Irish, but we were all three laughing at bits hardly anyone else was. Not sure what that says!

Me, her and our mate who went are none of us Irish, but we were all three laughing at bits hardly anyone else was. Not sure what that says!

Its the very dark humour in so much Irish literature and films. It translates well enough in some parts

Had a bit of a Patrick McCabe vibe to it.
:)

I have to watch Disney via Fire Stick & it takes AGES to load up & when I press pause it might boot me out so I use Disney less than I would like. But this week have watched

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri -a film from 2017 billed as a comedy/drama. It stars Frances McDormand. It had somehow passed me by but recently I was listening to a podcast about the billboards the film was inspired from. Really enjoyed it.

Next up was The Banshees of Inisherin which I wasn’t expecting to make me laugh but it did proper laugh out loud. Deserve all the plaudits it is receiving.

Then I watched Nomadland again with Frances McDormand which is a very slow film with not many laughs but left me with a reminder that there are many ways to live a life.

Extraordinary. A new adult British comedy series about present day London but one in which everyone gets a different superpower as they hit their mid twenties.

Hadn’t heard about this at all, but pretty watchable so far. The kind of series you’d expect Channel 4 to make.

Just binge-watched this. Thanks ruffneck23 and T & P it was really good. There is a Series 2 on the way too.

Watched Wakanda Forever, because I liked Black Panther and it got good reviews. Total meh-ness. Maybe I was just in a mood, but didn't get into it at all and couldn't really care less about them all.

Back
Top Bottom