Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Barbarian. A new horror-thriller film about an AirBnB house where not everything is what it seems.

Not sure wtf I just watched :D Credit where it’s due because this far from a clichéd plot film of the genre, and things soon move in a direction quite different from what you might be assuming. Too many plot holes and valid questions arise, but if you can park those, it’s certainly a watchable film of the genre.

Willow is very watchable so far. Witty without being cheesy, and the right mixture of drama, action, comedy and pace. Doesn’t really matter if one hasn’t watched the film, or liked it for that matter.

7.5/ 10 so far for me, and a solid recommendation to fans of the fantasy subgenre. To paraphrase Alan Partridge, it’s the series LOTR Rings of Power could have been.
A mate of mine worked on this and I’m planning to watch it soon. I’ve heard good things so good to hear similar elsewhere and it’s not just people bullshitting my mate :D

It sounds like a second season might be on the cards too :thumbs:

Last edited:
I saw Batbarian in the cinema recently and enjoyed it but have
gangly limbs ever been scary
?
In a way I was very glad it didn’t go in the direction it seemed to be heading, when she discovers the secret dungeon rooms, because I thought it was going to be another ‘girl gets kidnapped and kept prisoner by psychotic rapist/ serial killer’ type film, and I just find those too unpleasant not to mention done to death by now.

But at the same time I was annoyed by Bill Skarsgård being killed off so early, because he’s such a great actor imo I’d happily watch a film of him painting his bathroom walls. Bit of a waste to cast him for such role

Even if you don’t rate Star Wars at all, I would recommend to anyone even vaguely interested in the history of practical & visual effects in cinema to check out Light and Magic.

There have been plenty of snippets or one-off documentaries about the birth of Industrial Light & Magic, but this series is far more in-depth than anything that’s come before, and includes a lot of interesting facts I had not heard about. And a fair amount of human interest content from some of the ‘little guys’ at I L & M who were the real brains behind many of the innovations they brought upon.

Makes you want to build plasticine figures and create a short film shot on your phone :)

The Bear. Merits the reviews. Loved it. Especially the kids party episode.
I have said this before, but I hated it and it's hack writing. It was like it was trying hard to be thoughtful/clever/cool TV show, but without actual having any substance or depth.
The kids party was a better episode, but a good example of why it wasn't great. Consequences. Nothing lasts. Writers don't seem to think beyond the one thing they want to achieve in each show. Characters argue/make decisions/ hold opinions just long enough for the writers main events to take place. Then that's it. Done. They go from A to B then reset. Attempts to have running arcs (like the guy learning to make the best donuts) are not convincing at all. The end of the series is the ultimate lazy fuck you.

Fucking hell Big Sky is a right load of old tosh. I grimly hung on for quite a few episodes until the plot because so absolutely ridiculous and unbelievable (in a bad way) I abandoned ship.
Binge watched 9 episodes yesterday , thought it was enjoyable tosh tbf , have read some of the books so was already familiar with the characters.

I have said this before, but I hated it and it's hack writing. It was like it was trying hard to be thoughtful/clever/cool TV show, but without actual having any substance or depth.
The kids party was a better episode, but a good example of why it wasn't great. Consequences. Nothing lasts. Writers don't seem to think beyond the one thing they want to achieve in each show. Characters argue/make decisions/ hold opinions just long enough for the writers main events to take place. Then that's it. Done. They go from A to B then reset. Attempts to have running arcs (like the guy learning to make the best donuts) are not convincing at all. The end of the series is the ultimate lazy fuck you.

I liked it but then again I watched Glengarry Glen Ross for the first time recently and The Bear owes quite a bit to that film - shouting and swearing for starters,

Even if you don’t rate Star Wars at all, I would recommend to anyone even vaguely interested in the history of practical & visual effects in cinema to check out Light and Magic.

There have been plenty of snippets or one-off documentaries about the birth of Industrial Light & Magic, but this series is far more in-depth than anything that’s come before, and includes a lot of interesting facts I had not heard about. And a fair amount of human interest content from some of the ‘little guys’ at I L & M who were the real brains behind many of the innovations they brought upon.

Makes you want to build plasticine figures and create a short film shot on your phone :)
Been really enjoying this, the old footage and stories are brilliant.
It was a suprise to me that Photoshop would be a small part of this story.

Wanted to add that I've seen a lot of docs on effects, Star Wars, ILM, etc. and there's a huge amount of footage I've never seen. Really recommend it.

Binge watching a few things at the moment as I think OH wants to drop the sub for a while to save money.

The Patient (2022 mini-series) - I absolutely loved this, it's completely my cup of tea psychological thriller/serial killer fare, plus I could watch Domhnall Gleeson recite the phone book and be entertained

The Dropout (2022 series) - dramatisation of the Elizabeth Holmes/Theranos fraud thing with Amanda Seyfried as Holmes and Naveen Andrews as Balwani - good cast and interesting/entertaining

The Menu (2022 film) - A bit formulaic and a bit gruesome but worth a watch if you like that sort of thing, Ralph Fiennes, Anya Taylor-Joy and Nicholas Hoult in the main roles

Willow is very watchable so far. Witty without being cheesy, and the right mixture of drama, action, comedy and pace. Doesn’t really matter if one hasn’t watched the film, or liked it for that matter.

7.5/ 10 so far for me, and a solid recommendation to fans of the fantasy subgenre. To paraphrase Alan Partridge, it’s the series LOTR Rings of Power could have been.

aye chessy but aye watchable about 7 out of ten for me

few beers might of help with the viewing but worthy of a second season

better than the witcher orgin shite on netflix at least

I hardly watch any TV because 99% of it is shit. Occasionally I'm persuaded to try something, and usually I give up. However I thoroughly enjoyed this and think you are basically wrong in everything you say :p

The characters and the acting were exceptional.

The characters and the acting were exceptional.

Characters themselves and acting was fine, but the writing of them and how they were motivated to move around and fit neatly into where the script needed them to be was scooby doo level nonsense. The sections of dialogue and set ups to showcase 'top shelf acting' was try hard eye rollingly maddening.

Characters themselves and acting was fine, but the writing of them and how they were motivated to move around and fit neatly into where the script needed them to be was scooby doo level nonsense. The sections of dialogue and set ups to showcase 'top shelf acting' was try hard eye rollingly maddening.
No, Death in Paradise is Scooby Doo. Because that's what we call it here - Scooby Doo for Grown-ups. :D
And it's quite enjoyable as shut your brain off farce goes. (Though I always imagine the producers told them they were getting a new star from "a popular BBC sitcom" and they all dreamed of working with Sheridan Smith right up until Ralf fucking Little walked on set)

I liked The Bear, but I really don't get the fuss. It was good, that's about it. It's not the most amazing thing on telly this past year, it's probably not even the 10th most amazing thing on telly this year.

I liked The Bear, but I really don't get the fuss. It was good, that's about it. It's not the most amazing thing on telly this past year, it's probably not even the 10th most amazing thing on telly this year.
That's a good point. I mean I did watch all the way to the end, short and sweet episodes. Can't have been THAT bad. . . I just don't think it was anywhere near THAT good. Everyone is gushing over it, but the 'great acting/stage/arty' bits are so contrived and 'try hard' ("ooh, this ones for the awards") that it's almost like a comedy 'tropic thunder' parody of itself.

ok so watched return to oz yesterday

how did they think this was suitable for young kids

not as bad a down or dogs but damn you would not put that in a kids movie today

I really liked the Bear because I found myself thinking a lot about the characters between each episode. That’s quite rare for me. It’s never going to live up to the over the top recommendations - but it is an excellent series.

BMF ( Black Mafia Family )

Just discovered it as season 2 has just started, it's about Detroit in the late 80's.

'Two brothers who rose from the decaying streets of southwest Detroit in the late 1980's and gave birth to one of the most influential crime families in the country.'

If you like Snowfall you should like this. Some great tunes too.

I thought The Menu was boring, just really weak.

Just watched the first episode of Mr Inbetween when ch looks like being very good. Less than 30 minutes an episode so could be quite a binge ahead.

Just watched the first episode of Mr Inbetween when ch looks like being very good. Less than 30 minutes an episode so could be quite a binge ahead.
After reccos here, and having seen that short teaser video of bits of the first episode, I gave it a crack and loved it. Really tried to drag it out as long as possible, managed to make it last maybe a fortnight.

Even if Scott Ryan never makes another show or movie, he'll have achieved true artistic excellence with this 👍

I think that so many actor-directors agreed to take, and performed so strongly, in parts across all three seasons goes some way to indicate the quality of Mr Inbetween. For it to attract so many creative people - directors from across generations, and of varying levels from novice to veteran, but each one a teller of their own stories - in to perform on someone else's authored show speaks to the strength of the writing, the unfolding of the story, and the strength of the characters.

As well as Nash Edgerton's turn as a supremely dickish sibling, there's also David Michôd as a support group facilitator; Kieran Darcy-Smith as a bikie; Mirrah Foulkes as a journalist; Benedict Hardie, Clayton Jacobson, Jeremy Sims and Simon Lyndon as various shady characters; and even those with meatier parts such as Damon Herriman and Justin Rosniak have made their own films.

Back
Top Bottom