Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Just watched Prey.
Same thing as most people have said.
Solid film, first decent predator film since predator.
Maybe better actually. Nothing too fancy, just a good tight action film.

Not sure how the gun ends up in predator 2 though.

I loved Prey, it was such a simple concept. Can't believe it took them that long to make a decent one.

Also, The Bear. Loved it but that was because I have just spent the summer working in a kitchen kinda like that. Absolute madness but when it sings it is just the most incredible place to work. When it doesn't it's definitely the complete opposite. I could relate to the stress forming the relationships.

Lastly, just as an observation, your excellent critique could be talking about any content on any streaming sub. I don't tend to get very far with most films or tv on most platforms. I feel like Apple has a better hit rate but maybe that's due to my perception of Apple's professionalism. I quite like The Servant on there right now.

Last edited:
I'm watching the Golden Girls.
I always thought they all lived in a retirement resort. Seems it's just three single 'oldies' living together. Except they are all roughly only 55 (mum is 80).
I also thought I was watching re-runs when it was on the telly, but apparently it only started in 1985, so I was probably watching it real time.

CqQbc2tWIAACwA8.jpeg

I also recall the aeroplane in the opening titles being something I associate heavily with the show, but it's only on screen for less than two seconds.

Gonna have to watch it now if Terrence and Atomic didn’t like it!
Actually, credit where it’s due, I unexpectedly enjoyed the last two episodes far more than I thought I would, and more importantly for me, it has a proper ending, as opposed to the last-minute-cliffhanger that’s so common of series fishing for a renewal.

In retrospect, 7.5/ 10 for me, even if still a fucking frantic assault on the senses for much of it.

Actually, credit where it’s due, I unexpectedly enjoyed the last two episodes far more than I thought I would, and more importantly for me, it has a proper ending, as opposed to the last-minute-cliffhanger that’s so common of series fishing for a renewal.

In retrospect, 7.5/ 10 for me, even if still a fucking frantic assault on the senses for much of it.
Really? I thought the end was some well shonky lazy shit.

I guess given the miserable tone of the story and what a shitty time everyone has throughout, I was happy to see a happy unexpected ending.
I thought that was just lazy AF. The solution to their problems? Something that will make them happy?
FFS.
They fight for no reason other than that is what they do. Nobody actually develops, moments of camaraderie just happen, not because there is a reason for someone to suddenly change, just because it's that point in the run time of the show for a heart to heart or a personality flip. Nobody feels like a real person, I don't care about any of them. They are all just loose characters mapped out for a TV show where writers didn't flesh out the script.
"We need an end" - ok then. End happens.

Since and I finished (and loved) the Bear, especially the really shouty episode, I'm now onto Candy mainly because I like seeing 80s American period pieces. Seems okay.

Not sure about The Old Man at all though.

I really liked She-Hulk. When something sets out to reject formulaic tropes to that extent, I think a lack of cohesion is almost inevitable. It’s enormous fun though. Charismatic and warm.
My target audience-aged kid enjoyed it.

My (non-Gater) comics nerd Twitter friends enjoyed it.

I enjoyed it 😄

Brand new cinema release comedy whodunnit film See How They Run has just dropped. It’s part Agatha Christie homage (in more ways than one), part Disney’s answer to Knives Out, with a solid cast and good production values.

Half way through and it’s alright, but not great, and definitely something I wouldn’t have wanted to pay £15 per head to watch in the cinema. Sometimes it tries too hard to be funny, and too often at that. But it’s not terrible either.

Should wait until I’ve finished watching it I guess. But if you already have paid for a Disney subscription, it’s definitely worth checking out.

Ah yes I did want to see that. I'm half hoping neflix decide my brother can't share my subscription then I am free to sack it off and flit between platforms (can't really justify paying for more than one a month).

I've had the house to myself all day, and decided to treat myself to a Simpsons marathon. Started by watching Treehouse of Horror XV to XXXII, then started season 33, of which I hadn’t seen any episodes.

Brilliant day in. The Fargo homage double episode (A Serious Flanders) is vintage :D

Just finished the Old Man. Got four episodes in and was increasingly annoyed by clunky dialogue and unlikely plot turns, but wanted to see how it finished. Wish I hadn't bothered now

Reboot. A new comedy series about a sitcom series from the 2000s that gets, er, rebooted, and the fallout from its dysfunctional cast reuniting and dealing with various unresolved beef.

Pretty watchable so far and a good cast :)

Reboot. A new comedy series about a sitcom series from the 2000s that gets, er, rebooted, and the fallout from its dysfunctional cast reuniting and dealing with various unresolved beef.

Pretty watchable so far and a good cast :)
2000s sounds depressingly modern. . . . quite scary that it's not.

Once it’s got going (ie going into episode 3), Reboot is actually pretty funny. Some great one liners, and a good cast :)

I think it's been up there for a while but I liked Isle Of Dogs, a Wes Anderson animation with lots of big names doing voiceovers. Then again maybe I just like dogs and dislike the concept of cat-loving totalitarian states.

Since and I finished (and loved) the Bear, especially the really shouty episode, I'm now onto Candy mainly because I like seeing 80s American period pieces. Seems okay.

Not sure about The Old Man at all though.

I've kind of gone off The Bear due to all the shouting. Not sure I'll even finish it...

I've kind of gone off The Bear due to all the shouting. Not sure I'll even finish it...
I found it extremely unrewarding and lazy. There is a kind of smugness to the writing that it really doesn't deserve. If I could go back in time I wouldn't bother finishing it.

The first two episodes of Willow, the brand new sequel series to the 1988 film, have just dropped.

I love 80s films including fantasy ones, but Willow was one that never did it for me. Starting the series now, but given my lack of enthusiasm for the film I don't have high hopes I'll like it.

The first two episodes of Willow, the brand new sequel series to the 1988 film, have just dropped.

I love 80s films including fantasy ones, but Willow was one that never did it for me. Starting the series now, but given my lack of enthusiasm for the film I don't have high hopes I'll like it.
I don't think I ever managed to sit through the whole of Willow even in the 80s. I couldn't tell you what it was about.
To put that in context. . .
I adored the Dark Crystal as a kid, I couldn't stop thinking about the imagery and the story. I watched it again early 2000s when I had to review the DVD and found it utterly tedious. When my daughter was old enough (maybe 2012?) I thought I would give it another try but couldn't even get past the spoken word backstory/set up. . . If I could manage utter horse shit like the dark crystal in the 80s but not even sit through a few minutes of willow, I can only imagine how arse achingly terrible it must be in the cold light of the new millennium.

I don't think I ever managed to sit through the whole of Willow even in the 80s. I couldn't tell you what it was about.
To put that in context. . .
I adored the Dark Crystal as a kid, I couldn't stop thinking about the imagery and the story. I watched it again early 2000s when I had to review the DVD and found it utterly tedious. When my daughter was old enough (maybe 2012?) I thought I would give it another try but couldn't even get past the spoken word backstory/set up. . . If I could manage utter horse shit like the dark crystal in the 80s but not even sit through a few minutes of willow, I can only imagine how arse achingly terrible it must be in the cold light of the new millennium.
FWIW, I just finished the first episode and started the second, and so far it is surprisingly watchable. Not that it should be an either or contest, but more enjoyable and entertaining than the recent LOTR prequel, and the latter is a franchise I really like!

There are some legacy characters and some new ones, but ultimately it doesn’t matter, nor does whether you’ve watched the original film or not. It’s quick paced, witty, and the characters are equally relatable and likeable whether legacy or new. Not amazing but certainly a lot more gripping than the LOTR and GoT prequel series were for me. Certainly more fun.

FWIW, I just finished the first episode and started the second, and so far it is surprisingly watchable. Not that it should be an either or contest, but more enjoyable and entertaining than the recent LOTR prequel, and the latter is a franchise I really like!

There are some legacy characters and some new ones, but ultimately it doesn’t matter, nor does whether you’ve watched the original film or not. It’s quick paced, witty, and the characters are equally relatable and likeable whether legacy or new. Not amazing but certainly a lot more gripping than the LOTR and GoT prequel series were for me. Certainly more fun.
Well that sounds promising, but this is probably something my opinion won't mean squat on. I didn't like the LOTR books, I don't think I finished the second one but I did read the Hobbit. . . which I thought was better (they were the only SF fantasy book in the whole school library) I thought the films were absolutely fucking abysmal. When I got up at the end of the first film in the cinema and turned around (I was at the front) I expected to see a lot of pissed off people all shaking their heads. . . . but no. . . the ALL loved it! I just have to accept that it's something that I just don't 'get'. I can't imagine I will like the LOTR prequels or that Game of thrones show.

Willow is very watchable so far. Witty without being cheesy, and the right mixture of drama, action, comedy and pace. Doesn’t really matter if one hasn’t watched the film, or liked it for that matter.

7.5/ 10 so far for me, and a solid recommendation to fans of the fantasy subgenre. To paraphrase Alan Partridge, it’s the series LOTR Rings of Power could have been.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Holiday Special

Few decent gags but very phoned in, Chris Pratt couldn't look less interested.

Ok for 40 mins of (I assume slightly intentional) cheese.

Back
Top Bottom