Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Disney + streaming video recommendations thread

Watched Wakanda Forever, because I liked Black Panther and it got good reviews. Total meh-ness. Maybe I was just in a mood, but didn't get into it at all and couldn't really care less about them all.
Yup, very disjointed. felt like some scenes were missing even though it already felt too long.

Watched Empire of Light.
Nothing groundbreaking here, but sometimes it's nice to just sit and watch a story told really well. Love the cinema, and good performances all round. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Willow is very watchable so far. Witty without being cheesy, and the right mixture of drama, action, comedy and pace. Doesn’t really matter if one hasn’t watched the film, or liked it for that matter.

7.5/ 10 so far for me, and a solid recommendation to fans of the fantasy subgenre. To paraphrase Alan Partridge, it’s the series LOTR Rings of Power could have been.
To my surprise I not only got through all of Willow but enjoyed it. It's comedy fantasy and there were usually a couple of laugh out loud moments in each episode. Some entertaining characters and good lines, and enough twists and turns to make the deliberately cheesy 'chosen one' narrative palatable. I think the tv series surpasses the film, which didn't do much for me.

I'm always amazed how many people tell me I'd like Idiocracy if I liked Office Space.

No. It's a horrible film and the two are nothing alike!
Haven't seen Idiocracy but I did like Silicon Valley - Judge seems to like taking a swipe at tech companies!

Just watched the first two episodes of police drama Will Trent, based on the Karin Slaughter novels of the same name. I have police crime fatigue because every other drama series on TV for the last three decades has been one, but this is really good :)

Crossposting from the DVD thread because I realised it's on Disney+

The French Dispatch

Ah, this is the Wes Anderson I know. Grand Budapest and Isle of Dogs were a blip of excellence in an otherwise irritating career. Long story short, if you like Wes (and many do) then you'll like this. If you're not normally a fan but are willing to give him a chance after GBH and Dogs, this is a return to his usual total style over substance ways. At least in this case it is offered up as a sort of anthology, so there's an excuse for utterly no plot to hang together. I wanted to like it - like always with Wes - just for how pretty it is, but it annoyed me too much. Oooh, look at how kooky we've written everyone. sigh

American-born Chinese. A not quite grownups’ but also not quite full on children’s fantasy action comedy series based on a graphic novel. Not easy to summarise but it involves quarrying Chinese mythology Gods descending to present day USA to battle for ultimate control of Heaven, and race relations and ordinary struggles of the Chinese Immigrant community.

You know what? It’s actually very good, certainly if you are prepared to watch young adult content. You’ll need to get past the very first scene based in Chinese Heaven because it feels like series it’s going to be a silly children’s show, but wait until the action transfers to Earth. It’s got four main characters from Everything Everywhere All at Once, and ultimately it’s a highly original hybrid subject oddity that somehow works.

BMF ( Black Mafia Family )

Just discovered it as season 2 has just started, it's about Detroit in the late 80's.

'Two brothers who rose from the decaying streets of southwest Detroit in the late 1980's and gave birth to one of the most influential crime families in the country.'

If you like Snowfall you should like this. Some great tunes too.

I was looking forward to this and started it last night only to be hugely disappointed by the perpetual swearing and constant use of "nigger" that rendered it unwatchable for me.

Binning it after 1 episode.

I was looking forward to this and started it last night only to be hugely disappointed by the perpetual swearing and constant use of "nigger" that rendered it unwatchable for me.

Binning it after 1 episode.
Shame you dont like it, although being a series about crack dealers in the US in he 80s, I'm not sure what you expected.

It's based on a true story with the lead actor being the son of one of the Felony brothers, so I guess they are ok with the language.

Anyway as it's not for you, the Ted Lasso series finale dropped this morning and it's lovely :)

Shame you dont like it, although being a series about crack dealers in the US in he 80s, I'm not sure what you expected.

It's based on a true story with the lead actor being the son of one of the Felony brothers, so I guess they are ok with the language.

Anyway as it's not for you, the Ted Lasso series finale dropped this morning and it's lovely :)
Really enjoyed the Ted Lasso finale too, more of it in the Apple thread.

Last edited:
Good god, they have made a sequel series of The Full Monty. Featuring many of the main characters from the film.

I will take one for the team and check out the first episode so you don’t have to. Then again I can’t imagine many people dying to watch it. I haven’t watched the film for probably twenty years, but one cursory thought back to it is sufficient to remember how cringeworthy it was in the first place, and how badly it has aged really badly as well.

Alice Nutter co-wrote it, so it can’t be all bad.
Lucy Mangan didn’t like it cos it has too much politics in it. Well, duuuuur
Don’t mind it being political at all- on the contrary in fact.

When the film first came out it was the kind of bland comedy fodder (though to be fair it had the odd fairly funny scene) that is safe to watch with your aunt of a Sunday afternoon. The ‘humour’ about the character who comes out as gay though is awful.

Will report after I’ve watched the first episode.

Ep 1 is alright. Follows the main characters’ lives and fortunes in the present time, against the current UK socioeconomic background. Doesn’t try to be funny and no talk of stripping off again to raise cash, thank fuck.

Back
Top Bottom