Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Discussion: UK anti-vaxx 'freedom' morons, protests and QAnon idiots

as said the grift doesn't have to be money related.

you build a following on say instagram. you have 10s of thousands of followers. the liked post each day, the growing amoutn of followers, gives you an intense ego boost. they feel special. important. "oh i better not post anything boring..." there's a vested interest in keeping everyone outside of the tribe triggered, and everyone in teh tribe soothed and validated.

a wild thought experiment which i like to mull over now and then is what would happen to our lives if the internet was turned off. what would happen to the poor, would the plight of people be bought back into greater or less focus? what would happen to politics? what would happen to marriages? it's a wild, impossible thought but interesting to ponder.

Aye, that internet has done a lot of good - bringing the plight of millions to the forefront, helping to raise global conciousness, creating movements, risings and so on. But the bad shit, the bad politics, the sheer proliferation of fake news, racism, provocation, shit posting and conspiracy craziness has done a lot of harm.

Personally? Wouldn't really miss it if the plug was pulled. Get back to books and being more productive.

Aye, that internet has done a lot of good - bringing the plight of millions to the forefront, helping to raise global conciousness, creating movements, risings and so on. But the bad shit, the bad politics, the sheer proliferation of fake news, racism, provocation, shit posting and conspiracy craziness has done a lot of harm.

Personally? Wouldn't really miss it if the plug was pulled. Get back to books and being more productive.
Get the CD player out! I would definitely miss sat navs and mobile banking apps.

Loss of Internet would ruin my life. I wish I'd had access to it decades earlier.
I suspect the crazy will burn itself out eventually.

Do we know what the conspiritard demographic is ?
Are youngsters getting sucked in ?
My main worry with them is the banality of celeb culture and the social pressures ..

Overall, surely it has to be a good thing that we all have access to a vast library without having to walk to it - even if most people don't take advantage of it...

Same as it ever was ...

Imagine dating lol
Get the CD player out! I would definitely miss sat navs and mobile banking apps.

Daren't even imagine it, as the better half would have a thing or two to say. Not sure what the internet has to with it, sure you could just call your date to arrange a night out or trip to the pictures?

Have never put the CD player away, listen to them all the time!

Sat navs are handy when in the car, fair enough. Dunno about mobile banking.

Anyway, as gentlegreen says, there's the plus factor of access to all that knowledge. But that could so easy be stifled, whether or not the plug is pulled on the interwebby

here's my contention, my prediction, my hypothesis that covid and seeing the fractures iwthin covid debates had me thinking of. "Civil discourse", especially in the culture wars, is pretty much over for the next say hundred years. Sounding like all old farts, when I think back say the 90s, even the 80s, there was always a sense of something "shared", and within that "shared space" arguments, debates, discussions, could be had. You might hate the otherside for what they believe, but the hate stretched only so far - there was still something there, something "shared". something where if they sat next to you in the pub, you met as firstly a human being, and the politics was in some way, even slightly, seperate to them as a human being - there, but not invading, there but to be argued over, discussed, debated. This is gone, if it was ever there and its nto just my projection, for the next hundred years i would say, before we are able to properly recaliberate social media. extremism is every where, facebook groups, youtube, urban throughout the pandemic seemed at times the only non cess pit. i see it in myself, never have i hated the right so much and i am not even that far left, centre left probably. but i despise them at the moment, especially over culture war shit, especially as the narrative is always dominated by their hate and lunacy. and as said if i look back over my life, i've ALWAYS had right wingers there - at work, the odd few in my friend circle, some of my dads mates, but the bond came before the politics. now i think its the reverse - the politic everywhere is breaking the bonds - as we fall further into our respective tribes and lock down into them for protection and, even, a sense of survival. things will get wrose before tehy get better.

of course maybe they are better already and this is just my own paranoid projection. but it really wouldn't surprise me that trump was just the "start".
The ability to take part in this civil discourse you refer to has always depended on you being in the right group of people. Not black, or not gay, or not a woman, or not a worker, for example. The Tories’ Section 28 didn’t exactly promote understanding and reaching out across the divide of sexualities. Neither did their response to the miners strike promote healthy discussion about who should be in control of labour, the workers or the bosses. Where was the civil discourse in Bloody Sunday? Being neurodivergent, being a traveller, being the wrong religion — there is a huge list of things that has always left you marginalised and despised by those with power.

Last edited:
The ability to take part in this civil discourse you refer to has always depended on you being in the right group of people. Not black, or not gay, or not a woman, or not a worker, for example. The Tories’ Section 28 didn’t exactly promote understanding and reaching out across the divide of sexualities. Neither did their response to the miners strike promote healthy discussion about who should be in control of labour, the workers or the bosses. Where was the civil discourse in Bloody Sunday? Being neurodivergent, being a traveller, being the wrong religion — there is a huge list of things that has always left you marginalised and despised by those with power.
cant disagree - i guess i was following my own (privaleged) subjective experience. alweays a recipe for disaster.

cant disagree - i guess i was following my own (privaleged) subjective experience. alweays a recipe for disaster.
That’s the thing. For the small minority that previously had a cloistered, privileged experience of society as being civilised, rational and gosh-darned gentlemanly, the current state of affairs feels like the collapse of society. But the majority have always been members of one or other marginalised group, and for these people there never was a pleasant way to discuss the issues that were marginalising them. The personal is political, remember. The fact that the privileged group are now having to face the anger and immediacy of these personal issues is not inherently a bad thing.

I also worry that you personally spend too much time worrying yourself in the sewers of the internet and consequently have come to normalise the behaviour in those sewers as being representative of wider society. They are not. The nature of social division is that each of these sewer issues are in the margins. In the world of majority privilege away from each separate marginal concern, pretty much nobody cares about each of the things that the internet culture war veterans are daily losing their shit over. If I went to work and mentioned Qanon or TERFs or 5G anti-vaxx conspiracy, honestly 98% of people wouldn’t even know what I was talking about, let alone have an opinion on it.

Let's ignore the wealth of information on the Internet and listen to 5G lamppost man whose greatest previous claim to fame is threatening someone with a handgun and accidentally shooting a bystander in the head ...

If I went to work and mentioned Qanon or TERFs or 5G anti-vaxx conspiracy, honestly 98% of people wouldn’t even know what I was talking about, let alone have an opinion on it.
I visited my ex last year - she'd been into BDSM and all sorts since we split up - still has a man cage on her patio - and a trans woman with boobs was fixing her bathroom plumbing (oo er missus) and she'd never heard of "CIS-" as a prefix ... weirdly this particular trans person had a beard (I think), went by "he" and "him" and was about to marry a CIS woman :D

I visited my ex last year - she'd been into BDSM and all sorts since we split up - still has a man cage on her patio - and a trans woman with boobs was fixing her bathroom plumbing (oo er missus) and she'd never heard of "CIS-" as a prefix ... weirdly this particular trans person had a beard (I think), went by "he" and "him" and was about to marry a CIS woman :D
And even people like you, who HAVE heard of it, are still uncertain enough about it to, for example, capitalise the word (it’s just cis, not CIS). These things are definitely not in the public consciousness.

And even people like you, who HAVE heard of it, are still uncertain enough about it to, for example, capitalise the word (it’s just cis, not CIS). These things are definitely not in the public consciousness.
Mostly for emphasis - but it's not something I usually write down - not being a chemist or actively involved in gender politics.

Last edited:
Here's a auto-rant about the vaccine being a biological and chemical weapon, crazy fucker.

I wish there were grounds for getiing that loonspud arrested, :thumbsdown: :facepalm:

And it would be great if there was a (legit!) way of finding out who the fuck those "attentive listeners"** are in that vid! :hmm: :mad:

**IE thick-as-pigshit, "believe what I want to believe!" twazzocks! :rolleyes:

Edwards failed to convince a jury at Mold Crown Court that he was justified to carry out criminal damage last year at two separate Covid vaccination sites in North Wales. A separate matter of common assault was discharged from the record after the jury couldn't reach a verdict.

Edwards, who chose to represent himself after telling the court he no longer trusted his solicitor, attacked two sites in the region offering the important vaccination in the fight against Covid-19. The court heard how he caused over £11,000 in damages during both incidents, reports North Wales Live.

Stupid cunt can't even smash the right windows

His actions did have an impact on some other smaller businesses at the St Asaph OpTIC centre, where around 25 windows were smashed and needed repairing. However, Ms Price confirmed only one of those windows was in the actual vaccination centre itself.

1655461889562.png

Yea I do wonder what led to someone at that age going down the hole and finding themselves 60 miles from home, smashing windows in response to their concerns about Communist China taking over the world.
it's wild when you really think it through.

This thread is a public service :)

Pro-vaccination messaging may be surprisingly effective when delivered through humorous internet memes, according to new findings published in the journal Computers in Human Behavior. A series of studies revealed that exposure to sarcastic memes about anti-vaxxers increased UK residents’ intention to receive a COVID-19 vaccine. The researchers suggest that the humorous memes were able to bypass the typical defense processes of people who are vaccine-hesitant.
although
.“Once the first safe and effective COVID-19 vaccine was announced and discussion/opinions about vaccination became more common (and divisive), memes no longer affected these vaccination intentions,” Geniole said. “It seems, then, that memes–and this type of humor often found in memes — may only shift beliefs or intentions about topics or decisions that have not been carefully considered or contemplated.”
so needs to get in early :thumbs:

This thread is a public service :)

although

so needs to get in early :thumbs:
Always suspected that the Piss taking had massive value. It will stop people wanting to be associated with people who are being laughed at for a start.

Loss of Internet would ruin my life. I wish I'd had access to it decades earlier.
I suspect the crazy will burn itself out eventually.

Do we know what the conspiritard demographic is ?
Are youngsters getting sucked in ?
My main worry with them is the banality of celeb culture and the social pressures ..

Overall, surely it has to be a good thing that we all have access to a vast library without having to walk to it - even if most people don't take advantage of it...

Same as it ever was ...
No real library would ever contain so much rubbish.
There is evidence that we absorb less information when we read it on a screen rather than on a physical page.
Use of the Web promotes inattention. Many people skim. Many people cannot sit still and read without pressing keys.
Children can now be bullied in their own bedroom, thanks to modern technology.
I think that the Web, as it now is, acts to exacerbate narcissism

Back
Top Bottom